Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Exiles #8

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Cable

Exiles #8

Post by Cable » 14 Sep 2018, 14:17

The important legal case Watchers v Exiles
Spoiler: show
The Exiles are put on trial by this splinter group of Watchers, who annihilate anyone who interferes with the natural order of the timelines. The Exiles have had their powers suppressed and the Tallus taken away, and the Watchers say the Unseen will also be punished with them. As part of the trial the Watchers demand to know the entire life story of the Exiles so that the context of their decisions can be taken into account. The Watchers use a device to summon memories in a person and Blink tells of her parents coming to America, her joining up with Sabretooth after Apocalypse conquered the world, and her adventures as an Exile. Next they try to examine Nocturne but she refuses to take part. Valkyrie is then examined and relates how she was created by Odin and then trained and chosen as one of the elite defenders of Asgard. She tries to fight back but the Watchers threaten to kill everyone and Iron Lad talks her down. He tells of being beat up as a kid for being so smart, meeting his future self Kang the Conqueror, but after gaining power just getting revenge on bullies and having no intention of conquering. Wolvie is next and just remembers Xavier's Playtime Fun School and all his lovable friends. The Watchers next call upon examining their accomplices and the Exiles are surprised to see Captain America Peggy Carter and her sidekick Bucky. They were plucked from the timestream just as the bomb detonated. They now both retell their origins, Carter taking the serum after Erskine and Rogers were assassinated, and Bucky being a scrappy kid from Brooklyn recruited after Cap saw her in a brawl. The Watchers also bring in King, who tells of growing up in Wakanda but then leaving forever to find and kill the plunderer Magneto. The Watchers briefly hold counsel and then declare everyone guilty and plan to annihilate them. The Exiles monkeying around with the Tallus, which comes from the M'Kraan Crystal, is too dangerous to let them live. Nocturne however has a single hex bolt that the power dampeners did not suppress and when she uses it the dampeners overload and malfunction. A huge fight breaks out but then the Tallus activates and Blink wakes up to a woman claiming Blink is really her son named Aladdin.
This is kind of a strange issue. It is basically a jumping on point for new readers after the first arc. It isn't presented that way in either the solicit or the cover, but there can be no doubt from the content. It uses a story-device (literally?) to introduce each individual character over again (except Nocturne for whatever reason). For new readers this would be great. For current readers it is just treading water. It would be good if it told us anything new about the characters but with so many they each get just one page and everything told about them is something we already know or could have very easily guessed. So the whole thing ends up being a recap issue for this cast which presumably will keep entering the story, but in the end they are all once more tossed away and we are left with just Blink again. I'm sure the pursuit of these Watchers comes back to haunt the team so the issue isn't a waste in the long-term context of the series (not to mention revealing previous allies are still alive and plucked from their realities), it is just kind of an odd relisting of the cast for those of us who have already been reading it.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Milkshake08

Re: Exiles #8

Post by Milkshake08 » 15 Sep 2018, 16:30

I really WANT to like this title because the original Exiles run is one of my favorites and I love Blink and Nocturne...but it's just not very well written. It has walls of text, Wolvie is super annoying, and they killed off Morph so blandly and unceremoniously it left a bad taste in my mouth. This issue was a whole lotta nuthin. If you're going to give me backstory, make it interesting and meaningful, not just a page of each character stating the most basic version of their history.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 16 Sep 2018, 11:47

#notmyexiles #bringbackmyexiles

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Sep 2018, 11:49

Milkshake08 wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 16:30
I really WANT to like this title because the original Exiles run is one of my favorites and I love Blink and Nocturne...but it's just not very well written. It has walls of text, Wolvie is super annoying, and they killed off Morph so blandly and unceremoniously it left a bad taste in my mouth. This issue was a whole lotta nuthin. If you're going to give me backstory, make it interesting and meaningful, not just a page of each character stating the most basic version of their history.
I agree...I think it’s just not exciting enough.

I don’t mind different characters...people are always complaining about the “same characters” being used so I’m okay with the majority of the cast. I just think they aren’t being used for the full effect.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 16 Sep 2018, 18:11

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 11:49
Milkshake08 wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 16:30
I agree...I think it’s just not exciting enough.

I don’t mind different characters...people are always complaining about the “same characters” being used so I’m okay with the majority of the cast. I just think they aren’t being used for the full effect.
I agree! I think Valkyrie, old west BP, and Peggy Cap are great additions if they are written well. One of the fun things about Exiles was the rotating alt version cast, with Blink, TJ, and Morph being the more constant members. I DON'T like little Wolvie because he makes it seem like I'm reading a Sesame Street book. And the team shouldn't be like 10 people, either. The worlds the writer is taking us to are interesting (I mean, crazy religious zealot Xavier! That's brilliant!), but it isn't executed well. There's a lot of telling without showing, a lot of clunky dialogue PARTICULARLY in introducing the new worlds/characters and plot threads, and it just is a slog to read through. It also manages to have a very juvenile book feel to it, even with the overabundance of text and sexual innuendos thrown in.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Sep 2018, 16:48

I washed out of this book after the first arc. I'm also in the camp of wanting to like this book, but I don't find it very interesting.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 17 Sep 2018, 18:51

Have I missed an issue? Is this real Nocturne? What? Where am I?

I’m not even sure I’d have enjoyed this had I known what was happening to be fair
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)