Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Blue #31

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

X-Men Blue #31

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jul 2018, 10:58

Rule of thumb is that all issues of Blue that are not Venom related are actual good...case in point this issue.
If they rebooted the X-Men cartoons and had the O5 (with regular Storm and Wolverine on it) this issue would serve as a pretty bad-ass episode. Molina’s art helps alot with that...he draws my favorite Lil Jean and Iceman.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Flapflop

Re: X-Men Blue #31

Post by Flapflop » 11 Jul 2018, 13:28

I agree. The Cry Havok issues and this one are the best till now, even now the 05 are in it as well. Intrigued how the Magneto/Emma/05 question will be resolved now.

When the 05 are gone, Bunn and Rosenberg (Astonishing) should be the leading writers of the X-titles without corporate/editorial influence to relaunch each 6 months with new soft rebooted storylines/lineups (last will never happen)
So it's you and me together against the world, huh?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jul 2018, 14:29

Then you should want them to write fanfic because no run is free from any editorial infkuence, to except otherwise is futile.

Besides that, a good editor makes a story better. It’s only when the story is unliked by a person is editorial is brought up as a problem...otherwise, we get situations like some stopping Guggs from marrying two people. So it is what it is...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 11 Jul 2018, 17:06

Not true! I bring up editorial when they do an objectively bad job by not bothering to implement linewide standards (outside of what may arguably dictated by a broader marketing entity), or (especially) when their oversight is heavyhanded enough to dictate the direction of a writer's story but not verify things like accuracy, continuity, copyediting, etc! Sometimes, I still like a story but recognize (by my standards at least) that the editing isn't good—or it's weight is precariously distributed in a way that can be damaging to storytelling. There's nothing wrong with people taking issue with any of that when it actually happens.

Now, all of that said, I think we've seen various editing philosophies at work at Marvel throughout its many years and could probably have a generative conversation about what changes / practices seem to come and go with time. It would be fun and people would probably argue bitterly.

As for this issue: fun enough stuff, I suppose, but I don't know what could possibly make Emma Frost think that she could "handle Magneto on her own".
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jul 2018, 17:58

InsipidLust wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 17:06
Not true! I bring up editorial when they do an objectively bad job by not bothering to implement linewide standards (outside of what may arguably dictated by a broader marketing entity), or (especially) when their oversight is heavyhanded enough to dictate the direction of a writer's story but not verify things like accuracy, continuity, copyediting, etc! Sometimes, I still like a story but recognize (by my standards at least) that the editing isn't good—or it's weight is precariously distributed in a way that can be damaging to storytelling. There's nothing wrong with people taking issue with any of that when it actually happens.

Now, all of that said, I think we've seen various editing philosophies at work at Marvel throughout its many years and could probably have a generative conversation about what changes / practices seem to come and go with time. It would be fun and people would probably argue bitterly.

As for this issue: fun enough stuff, I suppose, but I don't know what could possibly make Emma Frost think that she could "handle Magneto on her own".
I wasn’t singling you out Insipid. I didn’t say a person couldn’t criticize editors. I first said that editors are important and needed. I also said that people really only bring up editors when there’s a story or something they don’t like. Now you in particular prolly certainly like stories that you still have editorial issues with (I mean we all like things but still see flaws in them) and you have enough good faith built we me that I believe that wholeheartedly do voice them but still say nice things too.

But my point was that nobody really ever brings up editorial when a story is really awesome (*waits for somebody to bring up 1 instance they did) or well liked. That’s why the Guggs wedding thing stands out...They really only get s***ted on, basically, when they do something people don’t like. I’m sure it happens but it’s not the norm...but that’s just me venting lol

It’s like local government. When they do their job really well, most people don’t post a tweet shouting out their City council for keeping red light cameras out their neighborhood lol...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 12 Jul 2018, 05:08

This issue was so much better than the last two that part of me wants to believe the last two were ghostwritten.

RE: editorial; I think of it a lot like God describes his job in Futurama. "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Also I loved O5 Iceman calling out Emma on going crazy when Scott died.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 12 Jul 2018, 08:39

I loved this issue and the page with Lorna and Alex discussing about his inversion was exactly what we were discussing in Astonishing Xmen 13 thread, awesome :D
I like Magneto as antihero more than villain, he is way too complex to tag him as a megalomaniac or villain, but I think the best Magneto always surfaces when he is doing his own agenda with his own followers and the Xmen dont fit that definition...

Whatever, Bunn knows Magneto very well and I cant wait to see what he wants to do with Maggs :-)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Jul 2018, 13:02

Magnus wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 05:08
This issue was so much better than the last two that part of me wants to believe the last two were ghostwritten.

RE: editorial; I think of it a lot like God describes his job in Futurama. "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Also I loved O5 Iceman calling out Emma on going crazy when Scott died.
My all time favorite quote btw...

My X-Men Draft Picks: