Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-men Red #3

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Flapflop

X-men Red #3

Post by Flapflop » 11 Apr 2018, 14:36

Gambit issue! And a letter section is added where they boldly state if Morrison's New X-men is Blade Runner, X-men Red is Blade Runner 2049

Story:
Spoiler: show
Cassandra Nova sneaks into the X-mansion. Only one young mutant can see her and she kills him. Then she walks into a room and says "You are going to protect Wakanda". X-men are still fighting the sentinel and after Honey Badger is gravely injured, Trinary thinks shes dead (she doesnt know Badger has healing power) and stops the Sentinel. It seems that she feels humans in the world are possesed/programmed just like robots by something to hate mutants (Cassandra)and they fly away on the Sentinel. In the meantime Gambit tries to safe a young flying mutant from a mob, but she is killed anyway. When the X-men arrive in Wakanda on the Sentinel they are attacked by Storm.
Spoiler: show
So it's you and me together against the world, huh?

Cosmos666

Re: X-men Red #3

Post by Cosmos666 » 11 Apr 2018, 17:12

Was Taylor shading the Kitty/Colossus development when Nova went 'Ugh. Drama' ? Because I choose to believe.

Great issue. Cassandra continues to be super creepy and I loved the implication that Nova is afraid of Jean. At least it looks like they were referring to Jean. It makes sense considering it was Jean that defeat Nova the first time. I enjoyed both the battle scene and Trinary using her power. But the fact we don't have her real name yet is bugging me. The Gambit interlude was a good way of introducing him in the story and showing the discoveries of Trinary. And in just one page Storm actually sounded like herself.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 Apr 2018, 18:15

Filler issue, but i’m okay with it. I enjoyed that Trinary’s power signature is literally the symbol denoting WiFi connection. Not sure what the point of the Gambit bit was, but glad we seem to be having a Jean/Storm reunion of sorts
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Apr 2018, 18:27

das_boot wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 18:15
Filler issue, but i’m okay with it. I enjoyed that Trinary’s power signature is literally the symbol denoting WiFi connection. Not sure what the point of the Gambit bit was, but glad we seem to be having a Jean/Storm reunion of sorts
I believe the Gambit bit was to show how Nova’s plan ks working and to introduce Gambit but not jump right into it.

It slighy echos his original introduction. He’s in New Orleans helping a younger, female mutant. We even have Storm in the issue...it’s an indirect callback. I wonder if it was intentional...

A slight aside: I know Guggs run is bad but I think it’s just reaching into the realm of “cmon sis”, to say that Guggs’ Storm is just sooooooo bad that her utteting two lines is more “in-character” then all those issues he’s wrote so far.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 Apr 2018, 18:40

Really? Have you been reading Gugg’s Storm? Because i’d have said that even blatantly mind-controlled Storm sounded more like Storm here than she has done in 25 issues of X-Men Beige.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Apr 2018, 18:45

das_boot wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 18:40
Really? Have you been reading Gugg’s Storm? Because i’d have said that even blatantly mind-controlled Storm sounded more like Storm here than she has done in 25 issues of X-Men Beige.

I read the first two arcs I think...then I dropped it lol

Oh and I read the latest issue cause I wanted to see what that evil god looked like

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Apr 2018, 23:56

Pour one out for Kyle. And another for Cara. :(
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue|Magneto|Mystique|Sabretooth|Madelyn Prior|Lady Deathstrike|Blink

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 12 Apr 2018, 00:03

Cosmos666 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 17:12
Cassandra continues to be super creepy and I loved the implication that Nova is afraid of Jean.
This was my takeaway too, in that Cassandra needs to find ways to indirectly attack Jean because she'd lose in a direct fight. And also doesn't want to tip her existence... at least that's why I'm assuming she didn't just do something like mind-control all the X-Men. Though I suppose you could also argue that they'd resist something that overbearing but "protect Wakanda" is close enough to something Storm would normally do that it works.

An okay issue for me on the whole, feels a bit slow for my tastes (especially since this title is coming out monthly compared to Blue/Gold's twice-monthly schedule).

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Apr 2018, 01:04

I think it’s less direct mind control and more like heightened aggression or something...it’s why storm wants to protect Wakanda

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Apr 2018, 07:54

Magnus wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 00:03

An okay issue for me on the whole, feels a bit slow for my tastes (especially since this title is coming out monthly compared to Blue/Gold's twice-monthly schedule).
Agreed. It seems so counter-intuitive to me that Marbel have brought the OG Jean Grey back, but hers isn’t a fortnightly title...

znop

Post by znop » 13 Apr 2018, 23:54

What's to stop Trinary from putting the kibosh on Cassie's nano job?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Apr 2018, 01:00

Well you see this issue it was difficult because of how advanced the program is.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 14 Apr 2018, 03:12

Cosmos666 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 17:12
Was Taylor shading the Kitty/Colossus development when Nova went 'Ugh. Drama' ? Because I choose to believe.
That's sort of the impression I got, though it's probably accidental. I feel like the panel of Cassandra walking away in annoyance kind of sums up how I felt when I stopped reading X-Men Gold. I actually like Kitty and Colossus, and but even I'm frustrated with the way they're being written. Might pick up the wedding issue, but I pretty much lost interest after Mojo Worldwide.

It's funny- one of the ideas that I had for an X-Men story involved "the Sentinel Virus" which is released onto the Internet. It was going to subliminally reprogram people's minds, creating an army of sleeper agents to fight any mutant they encounter. I figured that the next logical step of sentinel tech would simply be implanting data into people, making them the weapons. Something along those lines seems to be happening in this storyline, which is interesting. It seems like a relevant take on the darker side of technology, and I wish the Mojo crossover had played with those sort of 21st Century fears... instead of just being a punchfest.
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 14 Apr 2018, 22:15

I don't see this as a filler issue.

Nova makes her next subtle move against Jean (and kills an innocent student BTW) which we see the results of on the last page. We learn some more of her anti-mutant plan(s) which is not only topical in today's climate but also quite insidious. Trinary reveals some extent to her power and the team gets a new toy as a result. Gambit makes a good appearance/arrival but his attack on the mob member was being filmed by bystanders so I'm sure that will become another piece in Nova's aforementioned plan.

Overall a solid issue.

My questions are: how did little Kyle know that was Nova? Do they have Main X-villains 101 as part of the curriculum? And is Nova gonna mentally erase the knowledge of Kyle from the school members? Else Kitty is going to be perplexed when one of their students suddenly disappears.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Apr 2018, 23:48

Has Nova ever done anything Apoccy or Magneto like to warrant news coverage? I don’t so, so it had to be from the school or Kyle had some super-knowledge or something.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 15 Apr 2018, 01:28

Ha. I wonder if Nova and her background were casually referenced by one of the X-Men in front of a few of the students, starting a rumor about a bald woman who's Xavier's evil twin. I bet they just teach about the history of the X-Men and their foes though.
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 15 Apr 2018, 02:09

I'd think that it would be in their benefit to know who wants to nuke the X-Men/the school/the students. I just wonder who is teaching this and if it goes chronological, alphabetical or by threat-level.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 15 Apr 2018, 04:04

I like this book, so far. I think Nova is terribly insidious, and I really enjoyed the parallels to the modern US-I mean, they even drew a guy with a MAGA hat.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 17 Apr 2018, 13:48

I just caught up with Phoenix Resurrection and X-Men Red 1-3, im super excited about this book, im liking this a lot, and ive always enjoyed Cassandra Nova, she is one of my favourite villains.

Regarding the first mutant she kills, i believe that he knew who she was because of his mutant power, remember that everyone around her couldnt see her, except for him, and she says that its a shame he would've become very powerful, so he was likely a telepath or someone who can distiguis illusions or some sort.

Also, im not glad they have a Sentinel now, its been donde before, but many poeple have stated that a sentinel represents genocide and its not cool to have that symbol, and actual thing, flying X-Men around. Id like it more if they changed the shape of it, so it doesnt appear as if you are arriving in a killer genocide robot.

Anyway, im so on board for this series.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 17 Apr 2018, 20:41

Milkshake08 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 04:04
I like this book, so far. I think Nova is terribly insidious, and I really enjoyed the parallels to the modern US-I mean, they even drew a guy with a MAGA hat.
Yeah, between the "social media filled with half-truths/false stories" (aka fake news + Russian trolling) and the tiki torch-wielding protestors, pretty obvious was some of the inspiration is...

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 24 Apr 2018, 11:58

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 23:48
Has Nova ever done anything Apoccy or Magneto like to warrant news coverage? I don’t so, so it had to be from the school or Kyle had some super-knowledge or something.

I mean, there was that time she decimated an entire island full of Mutants, but i’m not sure whether the general public know that was her or whether they just kind of shrugged it off as bad robots being naughty.

Is it wrong that I want to see Cassie Nova taking on the Avengers at some point? I don’t know why this has suddenly come to me, but I really want to see it now.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Apr 2018, 14:41

I know Nova did that but Apoccy and Magneto do big villain speeches and stuff on the news lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 25 Apr 2018, 06:37

You guys bring up an interesting point, I don't think the general public or even other superhero teams know Cassandra exists.

As far as the young student, some of his classmates were actually at the mansion when Cassandra attacked so I'm sure it gets passed around and as we saw in Aaron's WatX run, the students get taught about X-History and the like.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Apr 2018, 11:34

I think that’s a fun thread idea: which villains would everybody be aware of? Like Stark knows who Sinister is but would he know who the Adversary is?

My X-Men Draft Picks: