unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Astonishing X-Men #8

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Magnus

Astonishing X-Men #8

Post by Magnus » 22 Feb 2018, 01:43

Synopsis:
Spoiler: show
Proteus is happy to be free, but he's very hungry. The X-Men argue with X, who says releasing Proteus was inadvertent. Down below, Proteus starts feeding on people, so Bishop starts shooting him. X telepathically tells him to stop, because Proteus will just feed on the energy. Bishop says he knows this, but figures better Proteus feeds on his weapon than people. Proteus steals the gun, starts blasting himself with it over and over, overloading to the point of sending a shockwave through the block.

OML says they should simply take advantage of Proteus' weakness to metal, and that he and Archangel should just kill him. Archangel balks at killing him, and X agrees, asking that Psylocke help him try and solve the problem without killing. They psychically attack Proteus, who lets them into his mind. Inside his mindscape, they meet a young adult human Proteus, who claims that he's changed, and shouldn't be treated as a monster forever because of actions he made when he was only 10 years old on Muir Island. He says that the Shadow King had held his soul and subjected it to ten thousand years worth of time on the astral plane, which was enough time for him to see the error of his ways. He asks to be left alone, but says he will defend himself if attacked. X changes his mind and decides they should do just that, while Psylocke objects. X's attack fails and Proteus attacks them back so forcefully that back in the real world their bodies start to warp together!
Interesting issue, still hard to know what to make of both X and Proteus. X definitely comes off as creepy (and probably a good rendition of what a Xavier/Fantomex hybrid would look and sound like), and Proteus is difficult to tell if he's being truthful or not since he was actually attacking folks (but claimed he was only going to 'take a little'). And the decision on whether to just kill him or not harkens back to the same idea I liked back from the start of Remender's UXF. Some of the X-Men still feel a bit surplus to the story though.

Cosmos666

Re: Astonishing X-Men #8

Post by Cosmos666 » 22 Feb 2018, 02:35

Have Proteus' age ever been disclosed? Because the whole being 10 situation during the original Proteus Saga sounded weird. Moira would definitely have disclosed this information before wouldn't she?

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 22 Feb 2018, 05:28

Cosmos666 wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 02:35
Have Proteus' age ever been disclosed? Because the whole being 10 situation during the original Proteus Saga sounded weird. Moira would definitely have disclosed this information before wouldn't she?
Looking at Uncanny X-Men #127, Moira makes a couple references to Joe MacTaggert being gone for "twenty years", and she left him right after the rape that conceived Proteus, right? So he would've been around twenty, not ten. On the other hand, in Uncanny #128, when going over his backstory, it says "for ten years, the only world he knew was a holding cell in Moira's Muir Island research center." I think the obvious explanation here is that for the first ten years of his life he lived normally, but then his powers started to emerge around age 10 and Moira kept him locked up from age ten through twenty.

So I guess the explanations are:
1) Proteus is simply lying about it (especially since none of the Astonishing cast was around for the original Proteus Saga)
2) Proteus was effectively frozen physically/mentally as a 10-year-old once his powers emerged
3) Soule misunderstood the reference and thought he was in the cell from birth

Or there might be something else I'm missing, I'm not familiar with the old stuff!

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 22 Feb 2018, 13:33

This title still isn’t gelling for me. I like the characterisations, especially the interactions with OML and Mystique but still, this just leaves me a little cold.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 22 Feb 2018, 17:05

There are concepts in this book that I'm interested in, but the execution doesn't always grab me even if some of the tensions do.

Unfortunately, yet again this is an X-Book with a cast I don't particularly care about—at least, I don't really care about seeing these particular people together. I like a lot of these characters individually even, but I just don't know if all of them are the ones I'd pick for this story.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Cable

Post by Cable » 23 Feb 2018, 00:03

This is the best of the X-Men team books right now but it isn't exactly a high bar. So far this arc isn't quite as interesting as the previous one was but Soule has stated this is all heading somewhere specific and I am intrigued to see where exactly he is trying to get everything to end up.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

totaldarknessin

Post by totaldarknessin » 25 Feb 2018, 03:57

This is so obviously the best X-Men book around. Blue is busy doing a venom crossover, Gold had that whole negative zone BS going. This actually takes place on Earth, with classic X-men Villian, with cool twist with X, and the art is also pretty good to boot.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Feb 2018, 13:38

Its not like classic x-stories ever took place not on Earth lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 26 Feb 2018, 09:59

I'm enjoying this title. There are a few characters who are essentially window dressing..like OML and Bishop. But Prof X, Fantomex and Archangel have had some significant story beats so far.
The emergence of Proteus is good but this story acts as if all the Exiles/Necrosha appreances never happened.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 06 Mar 2018, 13:43

Gremlin wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 09:59
I'm enjoying this title. There are a few characters who are essentially window dressing..like OML and Bishop. But Prof X, Fantomex and Archangel have had some significant story beats so far.
The emergence of Proteus is good but this story acts as if all the Exiles/Necrosha appreances never happened.
Thats my main complain.

Even the whole Necrosha thing was stretchy.

As far as I know Morph and Proteus somehow became one person and Proteus got trapped into the Crystal Palace instead of Morph, successfully spliting them into two different entities.
It was clearly stated that Proteus was a predator enslaved by his hunger of energy and that, deep inside, he wanted to be a good person. The Morph/Proteus merge proved that.
So all this talk between Xmen and Proteus actually makes sense.

The first question to answer is how did he come back in Necrosha in first place, and then now, as he should be somewhere else away from this universe/dimension.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Mar 2018, 13:51

At the end of Necrosha wasnt his energy scattered and Magneto explicitly said he’d be back some day?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Mar 2018, 17:47

Blackcyclops wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:51
At the end of Necrosha wasnt his energy scattered and Magneto explicitly said he’d be back some day?
I don’t remember it being explicit, I think it was more of a “well let’s face it, he’s an X-Men villain with poorly defined deus ex machina powers so he’ll probably be back because reasons”
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Mar 2018, 18:45

I looked it up...it’s pretty explicit lol..
Psylocke: “But where is Proteus now? How do we know he won’t come back?”
Magneto: “We don’t. We know that he will.”

Yeah I mean that’s almost as on the nose as you can get lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Mar 2018, 18:52

Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 18:45
I looked it up...it’s pretty explicit lol..
Psylocke: “But where is Proteus now? How do we know he won’t come back?”
Magneto: “We don’t. We know that he will.”

Yeah I mean that’s almost as on the nose as you can get lol
Alright, little miss can’t-be-wrong :-p

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Mar 2018, 19:00

Lmao

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 11 Mar 2018, 00:06

I'm loving the dialogue and interactions here, X's condescension toward some of the others chief among that. His and Betsy's discussion with Kevin was the highlight though. This is still a very good and engaging title.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 13 Mar 2018, 09:06

Magnus wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 05:28

1) Proteus is simply lying about it (especially since none of the Astonishing cast was around for the original Proteus Saga)
Well, Old Man Logan technically was ;)

I guess that maybe he was referring to his Proteus identity? That was only "born" 10 years ago by the time he first appeared.

I must say I love Proteus in his big bad scary mutant role, good villain.