Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Hickman return confirmed! Will it be on X-men?

Found some news out about the X-Men, Avengers, Batman or even? The monthly previews have been released ? Or perhaps there's a rumour you've heard, then post it here for the world to see.
Anna Raven

Re: Hickman return confirmed! Will it be on X-men?

Post by Anna Raven » 24 Mar 2019, 01:23

I think he's saying the Avengers run felt cold. Which is certainly more true than saying the FF run felt cold. The FF run was one of the more warm, heartfelt, family-oriented runs in the history of comics. I think it goes to show Hickman is talented enough to switch gears and write something both intimate and personal, and also epic and earth-shattering. I'm for sure a Hickman fanboy though.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » 24 Mar 2019, 02:31

Wish it was like Avengers for ever.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 24 Mar 2019, 03:58

I loved Hickman's Fantastic Four run. It was heartfelt, bold, hilarious and exciting. He created the wonderful Future Foundation(which I hated that Slott dropped), made Doom interesting, made me like Reed Richards, gave Johnny Storm layers, and gave Sue Storm her due. Plus, how awesome were Franklin and Val?

BUT his Avenger run was, as everyone said, was cold. It was all big plot ideas, men talking, and a large build up to a finale that was both overwhelming(in terms of plot) and underwhelming(in terms of emotion).

His X-Men story can go either way. It worries me he's partial to Morrison, which I always felt was super cold....so I guess we'll see what happens. I'm guessing Beast is going to get lots of focus....

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 24 Mar 2019, 04:02

Wow!! I didn't think this would happen!! Okay, let's do this!!

I've kind of been on a comics break, but this is just the kind of thing to get me back in: the X-Men got me into comics in the very first place, and Hickman is my favorite author - so hell yeah.

I like how excited he sounds in the interview! And he's saying we need to read both books, cool with me!

Oh this makes me so excited!!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Mar 2019, 04:37

Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 01:12
Never thought I’d see someone describe the Fantastic Four run as cold...like that blows my actual mind.
I phrased it poorly. I never read his FF run. His Avengers and everything leading to Secret Wars felt cold.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 24 Mar 2019, 06:39

Not sure what to even say about that promo image. The art is gorgeous but I was really hoping for a break from time traveling.
Twitter: @TonyBWood

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 24 Mar 2019, 07:03

Quick and Dead wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 06:39
Not sure what to even say about that promo image. The art is gorgeous but I was really hoping for a break from time traveling.
Let's not jump the gun. We really have no idea what these titles are about.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 24 Mar 2019, 07:33

I mean I guess it's possible that the promo is a celebration of the X-Men mythos in general... But if it's a direct representation of Hickman's books, I don't think we can deny that there will be some alternate universe/time travel involved.
Twitter: @TonyBWood

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 24 Mar 2019, 08:20

So much to deconstruct from that promo image. Lots of characters from across x-history such as Thunderbird, Vulcan, lil’ Ro, x-baby Havok, etc. Also new/alt reality versions like AoA Nightcrawler as well as a new red skinned Nightcrawler and a Colossus/Magik mashup. Plus us that Moira on the bench.

Plus a weird little green lobster on the floor...
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

grief

Post by grief » 24 Mar 2019, 08:27

Gremlin wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 08:20
Plus a weird little green lobster on the floor...
It's been awhile since I read it, but I believe that's Bill from the Fallen Angels.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 24 Mar 2019, 09:14

Me. I called his FF run cold. Maybe because I’m not a fan anyway, but I tried to read this “amazing” title and hated it. Nothing new, nothing different, nothing really interesting in the whole run for me, frankly. I just think he needs to be paired with another writer to make his character work is as good as some people for some reason seem to think his plot work is.

And yeah, the art’s nice, but the representation of yet more alt-u and time travel? No. Keep away from me thanks. It sucks that this is going to take up two X-Titles per month.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 24 Mar 2019, 10:11

I also recognized Bill, though I had to check whether he was the lobster who survived that series. At first I thought he might be the dead lobster, given the many decased characters in that group image, but it wasn't Bill but the other Lobster, Don, who died after accidentally being stepped on by Devil Dinosaur. As for other weird characters, there's also Dr. Sikorsky from the Starjammers behind Apocalypse's shoulder, but none other of the group other than part time member Lilandra.

Someone mentioned multiple Jeans in the image, but that's actually not the case. There's Jean in a Marvel Girl costume, Firestar and Rachel in the Phoenix costume. Her facial markings are visible. The character behind Emma might be Sebastian Shaw, but that still leaves two Logans, one on the left side right after being turned into Weapon X, and in his brown suit on the right.

The woman on the bench next to Xavier indeed seems to be Moira, and from the way Xavier has crossed his leg, I assume he is walking and not confined to a wheel chair.

At first I believed the reddish tail to belong to "Little 'Ro" as it is a better match to her skin tone than the red-skinned Nightcrawler type. Her hand also could have only three fingers, but that might just be the angle it was drawn at. The red-skinned character up front clearly only has two thick fingers (and a hidden thumb) on his hand and pointed ears, so the tail seems to be his too. It's weird for Nightcrawler to stand this straight, though. He also carries a blade in his belt.

I guess from their positions on this Image, the red-skinned Nightcrawler and the woman on the right (Magik's soulsword, Colossus' skin, Moonstar's hair ?) seem rather integral to whatever the story is. They also seem to have matching costume designs with both wearing similar loinclothes.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Mar 2019, 11:42

That image is pretty, but it's so weird to look at because it's so unclear who some people are. I'd argue that's POSSIBLY Nightcrawler's son and not Kurt himself. He looks like a weird amalgamation of Kurt and Remy honestly. Similarly, the metal woman is more likely to be Colossus's daughter for similar reasons that I don't think the "normal Kurt" is Nightcrawler. They just look too different from the base character. If the woman on the bench is Moira then why are Logan and Ororo the only duplicates? Why is Alex a child?
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

HoldenC

Post by HoldenC » 24 Mar 2019, 12:02

I agree with most here. Avengers was good but often felt cold. Hopefully it’s a good shake up but even if it isn’t who knows how long its effects will last. I loved X-men Red and that was over too quickly.
Last edited by HoldenC on 24 Mar 2019, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Mar 2019, 12:05

HoldenC wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 12:02
I think the “multiple Jeans” are actually Jean, Firestar and Rachel. Beautiful art though.

I thought Jean, Firestar and the Phoenix (who is technically different).
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

HoldenC

Post by HoldenC » 24 Mar 2019, 12:31

Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 12:05
HoldenC wrote:
I think the “multiple Jeans” are actually Jean, Firestar and Rachel. Beautiful art though.

Yeah but Rachel Phoenix not just the Phoenix Phoenix lol

The speculation is fun though. It’s way too soon to do another alt universe story.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 24 Mar 2019, 13:37

HoldenC wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 12:31
Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 12:05
HoldenC wrote:

Yeah but Rachel Phoenix not just the Phoenix Phoenix lol

The speculation is fun though. It’s way too soon to do another alt universe story.
I could do without seeing another alt-U for at least a decade if i’m honest. The only way I think I’d be okay with it is if, at the end of AoXM that the X-Men are still separated from reality and have to find their way back, tying in with however they’re going to introduce the X-‘en into the MCU
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 24 Mar 2019, 16:25

Given the title House of X, I am almost certain of an alt-reality component. Coupled with the image of lots of alt reality/time travel characters I think this is a continuation of the events of Age of X-Man.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Mar 2019, 17:10

I don’t see many alt-world characters (I mean not more than usually running around) but I do see all the characters actoss their history...so idk. Then another title is ten, not X...so what could that pertain to?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Mar 2019, 17:24

And maybe it’s been too long but I don’t remebmbet Hickman’s Avengers run being without emotion or heart...yes it was cold but only because the topic at hand and the dire circumstances. But there were certainly an emotional core to the story...the Great Society arc is one of my favorite comic arcs of all time. But I think if you’rr like das and didn’t enjoy the FF run, then i guess there’s nothing Hickman can do for you lol

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 24 Mar 2019, 20:41

I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping it gives X-Men a bit of direction...I honestly feel that in the past years (a long time really) X titles have just been treading water with no real direction- hopefully this will give it that back

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Mar 2019, 20:46

Crutey Anth wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 20:41
I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping it gives X-Men a bit of direction...I honestly feel that in the past years (a long time really) X titles have just been treading water with no real direction- hopefully this will give it that back

It’s prolly safer to say a direction we didn’t like because even back during the Bendis-era the books had a direction (at least Cyke’s side did). Honestly the 00s (post-Morrison) and up till now have been the only time the books had actually directions with end goals (beyond the usual peaceful coexistence), I mean what was the direction of the 90s? Lol

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 24 Mar 2019, 21:09

I own Hickmann’s Fantastic Four, FF, Avengers, New Avengers, and the holy Bible called „SHIELD“ works.
Nver read an other so complex and interwoven run by a writer.

I mean, cm‘on:

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 25 Mar 2019, 00:27

Hickman’s run wasn’t cold. It was dire and stressful and tense because everyone in every world was literally f*cked and doing their best in the face of bad news. I imagine the tone of this story will probably be somewhat different.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Mar 2019, 00:48

InsipidLust wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 00:27
Hickman’s run wasn’t cold. It was dire and stressful and tense because everyone in every world was literally f*cked and doing their best in the face of bad news. I imagine the tone of this story will probably be somewhat different.

Really at this point all we know is that it involves the entirety lf the x-mythos (given the promotional imagery and the vague words) and has something to do with the number 10 and a House.