Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Hickman return confirmed! Will it be on X-men?

Found some news out about the X-Men, Avengers, Batman or even? The monthly previews have been released ? Or perhaps there's a rumour you've heard, then post it here for the world to see.
Flapflop

Hickman return confirmed! Will it be on X-men?

Post by Flapflop » 19 Mar 2019, 15:33

Confirmed: Jonathan Hickman’s New Marvel Comic Begins in July https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/18 ... omic-july/

The ad of last week about evolution is about Hickman returning in July on a title. Will he take on an (new) X-title after Age of X-man?
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

UrbanExplorer

Re: Hickman return confirmed! Will it be on X-men?

Post by UrbanExplorer » 19 Mar 2019, 16:08

Either X-Men or a good Avengers book. Maybe a new Shield series?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Mar 2019, 16:45

If this is true (it is Bc and they’ve been wrong before), maybe it’s Eternals?

Rosenberg seems to be captaining the X-line right now. And given the time that new writers are being allowed to work on the line, I could see Hickmqn instead resurrecting the Eternals for something big. They haven’t had a good run since Gaiman, another very big name.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 19 Mar 2019, 17:35

Eternals would be excellent. Hickmann is a master of interconnecting universal storylines, and I could see him reversing this Eternal mass death.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing him writing FF again. Oh God I really want that...

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Mar 2019, 19:09

If the MCU is really doing an Eternals movie, then Hickman is just the guy to reinvigorate the brand before filming.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 20 Mar 2019, 17:20

I'd say X-Men or Eternals, based on the tease

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 20 Mar 2019, 18:42

YES.

Edit: Working off the prevailing theory that this could either be X-Men or the Eternals...

X-Men: I WOULD LOVE FOR NOTHING MORE THAN FOR HICKMAN TO WRITE THE X-MEN. As BC points out though, the line seems to be doing fine under the current leadership/direction/whatever you want to call it. Also, the internet has wanted Hickman to write the X-Men for years now, and sometimes Marvel likes to throw curveballs... Oh, you all wanted Hickman to write the X-Men? Well here is on Great Lakes Avengers! Sometimes I feel like they just like to subvert expectations for some reason. No idea why.

Eternals: I think this would be VERY cool. As much as Marvel likes to deny how the movies affect the books, they clearly do, and they're going to need a big Eternals push if they're going to get anyone to see the movie. It's a very obscure Marvel line, even for a lot of long-time comic fans - even me, I've only read Gaiman's story about them and that was ages ago and I can't remember any of it. I'll give it a re-read, and if I recall correctly, I remember Gaiman's story carrying a tone in which Hickman would thrive. Also, he's really good at breathing life into titles/stories/characters that have faded a little. This just might be a personal one for me, but I never gave a damn about the Fantastic Four, then Hickman came around and now they're all super dear to me.

Whatever happens, I am SO here for this.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Mar 2019, 14:44

Gaiman's Eternals is one of the greatest works Marvel has ever produced. I'm really hoping that's what they do for the movie.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

grief

Post by grief » 21 Mar 2019, 16:00

I only just got and read Gaiman's Eternals and I have to agree with Anna, it's pretty perfect in it's execution. I read the first issue and it felt JUST how a pilot episode of a show should work. Given Hickman's use of the Deviants and Celestials throughout his SHIELD run, I'd say that he definitely has an interest in them.

Although to be honest, I'll read anything Hickman does for Marvel.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 22 Mar 2019, 01:28

I...don't particularly like the thought of Hickman on X-Men. I know y'all love him, but I don't, and I feel he likes to tell long, lofty, philosophical stories where he models the characters and their voices into his goals for the story rather than anything that is natural from a character standpoint. I know a lot of writers do that, but I don't like that very much. And I didn't particularly like his Avengers run either. FF was fine. I dunno. He's fine, but it's like Morrison to me, it may be "good" and end up really shifting the line, but I won't ever reread it or enjoy most of it in the first place.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 22 Mar 2019, 01:58

I can see thwt criticism...I don’t necessarily fully agree but ai can see that as a fear for the X-Menc particularly given their very much kinda explosive and really varied place they are at right now. As I said above I think the people you have on the books are fine and I’d like to see how all these other writers do when the other books in the line transform back to the main MU.

I say that but I still consider the meta story from Dark Reign Fantastic Four through SHIELD, FF, Fantastic Four, Avengers and New Avengers and Secret wars to be the single best extended meta-story told at the big two. His only competition is Geoff Johns meta story run that basically ran through the entire Green Lantern line thru Rebirth and maybe (depending on how he sticks the landing) Aaron’s meta-Thor story (he’s really been telling 1 REALLY long story for 7 frigging years!!!)
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Mar 2019, 00:18

Milkshake08 wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 01:28
I...don't particularly like the thought of Hickman on X-Men. I know y'all love him, but I don't, and I feel he likes to tell long, lofty, philosophical stories where he models the characters and their voices into his goals for the story rather than anything that is natural from a character standpoint. I know a lot of writers do that, but I don't like that very much. And I didn't particularly like his Avengers run either. FF was fine. I dunno. He's fine, but it's like Morrison to me, it may be "good" and end up really shifting the line, but I won't ever reread it or enjoy most of it in the first place.
As always, I agree with this sweet angel princess goddess
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 23 Mar 2019, 01:33

das_boot wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 00:18
Milkshake08 wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 01:28
As always, I agree with this sweet angel princess goddess
Always got your back, fellow goddess *heart kiss emoji that isn't available on here*

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 23 Mar 2019, 03:54

Agreed with Milkshake. I'm excited at the idea of an overarching grand plan but I can't see Hickman handling the soap opera elements and the character dynamics we all know and love. His Avengers run was good but all the characters felt very cold to me.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 23 Mar 2019, 21:27

Hickman confirmed for two new X-Titles: House of X and Powers of X. Power of X is actually "Power of Ten".

Tweet from C2E2 coverage here.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 23 Mar 2019, 21:46

As long as it is not another alternate reality story...

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 23 Mar 2019, 22:30

UrbanExplorer wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 21:46
Well I see white Nightcrawler, kid Havok, multiple Jeans, a metallic dark haired Magik, numerous dead characters, lots of classic costumes...I'd say the juries out on that.

My money is on an anthology series

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 23 Mar 2019, 22:32

Gibbering Fool wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 22:30
UrbanExplorer wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 21:46
Well I see white Nightcrawler, kid Havok, multiple Jeans, a metallic dark haired Magik, numerous dead characters, lots of classic costumes...I'd say the juries out on that.

My money is on an anthology series
Ewwwwww :?

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 23 Mar 2019, 22:50

"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 23 Mar 2019, 23:22

At the interview today he said he's "partial to the Grant Morrison run." So I may be jumping ship on X-Men again. Can they give creative teams some traction? I mean, Bunn created a new brotherhood we saw for one page we won't ever see again. Rosenberg is doing something that felt long-game, but now seems it will be undone. Sorry guys, but even that image shows this is not my cup of tea. I'm fine with alt-u stuff here and there but we are getting one right now, and any image that has three Jeans and three Wolverines but nary an X-character newer than Blink/Bishop, no Rogue or Gambit (which maybe I should be thankful for if they are left out of this), it just isn't for me. Sigh.

Edit: I just read that CB said the X-line will "continue as is for the forseeable future" which perhaps means Uncanny with Rosenberg will continue and this is some weird X-side story that will still make major changes so I guess we'll see. I will at least give some slight praise - the Brooks image is gorgeous and it's nice to see Blink, Gateway, and Dazzler. It is not nice to see Vulcan.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Mar 2019, 00:00

I mean it could just be a promotional image too...and not be indicative of who will actually be in the book. We know that’s totally a thing (I’m looking at you every anniversary cover).

And so far there’s nothing saying what the book will beyond that it’s supposed to be big like Morrison’s run, Jim Lee’s X-Men #1 and GSX...or am I missing something?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 24 Mar 2019, 00:49

Yeah, I’m out. I tried his FF. I tried his Avengers. I can’t with his really clinical and cold characterisations and lofty philosophies. Nope. Not for me.

And that promo image is just terrible too.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 24 Mar 2019, 00:56

das_boot wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 00:49
And that promo image is just terrible too.
Seriously? That art is gorgeous

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Mar 2019, 01:01

Jumping on the bandwagon here and while I think Hickman is a fantastic writer, East of West is/was fantastic, I really don't care for him on X-Men.

I constantly feel like I missed something in his Avengers run, maybe because I didn't read his FF run. It felt cold and hopeless. Maybe it was just the story he was telling. Maybe he is completely capable of writing something truly heroic, I genuinely believe in him. I just haven't seen it.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Mar 2019, 01:12

Never thought I’d see someone describe the Fantastic Four run as cold...like that blows my actual mind.