Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

November Solicits

Found some news out about the X-Men, Avengers, Batman or even? The monthly previews have been released ? Or perhaps there's a rumour you've heard, then post it here for the world to see.
tokenBG1009

Re: November Solicits

Post by tokenBG1009 » 23 Aug 2018, 08:18

das_boot wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 07:19
If getting Bishop back means that no one really references or uses Hope ever again? I’ll throw Milkshake and I a big old party because I’d sooner take a genocidal maniac on the team than have to deal with that pisspoor excuse of a deus ex machina that is Hope.
I can't tell if you hate Kitty or Hope more anymore.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Aug 2018, 08:52

tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:18
das_boot wrote:
If getting Bishop back means that no one really references or uses Hope ever again? I’ll throw Milkshake and I a big old party because I’d sooner take a genocidal maniac on the team than have to deal with that pisspoor excuse of a deus ex machina that is Hope.
Hope. Kitty is now, and always has been, an utter Mary-Sue character, but Hope is even worse. Created literally to help writers out of the corner they’d been editorially mandated to paint themselves in to, with the WORST kind of deus ex machina power, absolutely no personality traits that would endear her to the reader and then, the cardinal sin, once her story was “done” she’s been used so sparingly that you’d be forgiven for forgetting that this “character” was once such a crucial lynchpin of the X-Universe. Writers don’t know what to do with her now, and that’s not the fault of the writers or creators, but editorial. To my mind, the BIGGEST cardinal sin they committed when coming up with her was trying to force a likeness to Jean to tease the fans, not only by her being a red-headed female, but by making Cable her adopted father, having her hailed as either the saviour or destroyer of the mutant race, and substituting nay-sayers from another galaxy with nay-sayers from another timeline.

The only time she was ever used well (and I use that term loosely) was Spurrier’s X-Force, and even then, she was pretending to be someone else the entire time, so that doesn’t REALLY count as her (lack of) personality.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 23 Aug 2018, 11:42

das_boot wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:52
tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:18
das_boot wrote:
Hope. Kitty is now, and always has been, an utter Mary-Sue character, but Hope is even worse. Created literally to help writers out of the corner they’d been editorially mandated to paint themselves in to, with the WORST kind of deus ex machina power, absolutely no personality traits that would endear her to the reader and then, the cardinal sin, once her story was “done” she’s been used so sparingly that you’d be forgiven for forgetting that this “character” was once such a crucial lynchpin of the X-Universe. Writers don’t know what to do with her now, and that’s not the fault of the writers or creators, but editorial. To my mind, the BIGGEST cardinal sin they committed when coming up with her was trying to force a likeness to Jean to tease the fans, not only by her being a red-headed female, but by making Cable her adopted father, having her hailed as either the saviour or destroyer of the mutant race, and substituting nay-sayers from another galaxy with nay-sayers from another timeline.

The only time she was ever used well (and I use that term loosely) was Spurrier’s X-Force, and even then, she was pretending to be someone else the entire time, so that doesn’t REALLY count as her (lack of) personality.
Totally agree.
And giving her Generation Hope just to make her more unsufferable was a win win move by Marvel.
I still believe they really wanted to make Hope into Jean but they changed plans over time and went with something different and not exactly awesome.
Even her mimic powers were not exactly thrilling.
To me her best character moment was when she started ranting and Dani Moonstar showed her who is the real badass at the moment. Seeing Moonstar kicking her guts was really refreshing.

Its funny because Jeen stole some of her character traits to differentiate her from adult Jean and this is possibly why I hated her too.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Aug 2018, 15:32

Once Teen Jean left Bendis she became one of my favorite new characters tho funny enough...

Funny that both me and Cable (poster) like Hope but he hates Teen jean and I think I saw das_boots say nice stuff about her once she lost Bendis lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Aug 2018, 15:48

Blackcyclops wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 15:32
Once Teen Jean left Bendis she became one of my favorite new characters tho funny enough...

Funny that both me and Cable (poster) like Hope but he hates Teen jean and I think I saw das_boots say nice stuff about her once she lost Bendis lol
After Bendis she got a much clearer direction and she realised that she needed to change as a person to change her future (from the past).
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Aug 2018, 16:00

And she became a character that felt distinct from classic Jean but also like someone I could see to became Jean. Basically it was like instead of Jean’s formative stories taking place in a bygone era, she felt like a much more modern woman...if that makes sense.

Like current Jean in Red totally feels like as a teenager she is the new Teen jean and not the 1960s Jean lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 23 Aug 2018, 16:16

For the record, in the Messiah Complex hard cover, they mention in the addendum that Hope was long planned to be a resurrected Jean, but they abandoned that plot once it became clear that many fans had already guessed that would be the case.

I would have stuck it out honestly.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Aug 2018, 17:30

I’m going to make the Hope conversation a separate topic in Xpressions I think... there’s a lot of stuff to discuss here I feel.