Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Finally!!! The Third Summers Brother Solved!

Found some news out about the X-Men, Avengers, Batman or even? The monthly previews have been released ? Or perhaps there's a rumour you've heard, then post it here for the world to see.
Blackcyclops

Finally!!! The Third Summers Brother Solved!

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Nov 2020, 20:11

Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Flapflop

Re: Finally!!! The Third Summers Brother Solved!

Post by Flapflop » 13 Nov 2020, 11:00

So Vulcan is now the fourth brother. Weird thing is this is set in the past so during Deadly Genesis he should a;ready have been called the fourth. But thats always the problem with retcons.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Nov 2020, 12:22

Flapflop wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 11:00
So Vulcan is now the fourth brother. Weird thing is this is set in the past so during Deadly Genesis he should a;ready have been called the fourth. But thats always the problem with retcons.

Well...if you pay real close attention to Nicieza’s words, Vulcan is the Third Summers’ Brother but Adam X is the third brother... ;)
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 13 Nov 2020, 20:00

I dislike how some writers can't let go of stupid ideas like this even decades later. Claremont is also a master of this. I expect this to completely ignored by other writers.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 13 Nov 2020, 20:25

Then don't buy the comic.
[PL_2.0]

Cable

Post by Cable » 13 Nov 2020, 21:05

I know this sounds crazy, but ultimately we have to read the story before we make judgements.
It is possible the Summers brothers don't learn whatever revelations that are going to take place here, which would explain why Vulcan isn't referred to as a fourth brother. If he even is one. Again we don't really know yet.

I do like that they aren't being vague about it just being at some point in the past, Nicieza names exactly what issues this fits in.
Best Comics of Week 18

X-titles: Hellions #11 by Zeb Wells (4) and Stephen Segovia (4)
Non-X titles: Heroes Reborn #1 by Jason Aaron (2) and Ed McGuinness (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Nov 2020, 21:09

Idk, I found Nicieza’s point about it being really clear and doesn’t change DG really if Xtreme really is revealed to be Katherine’s and a Shi’ar’s child and Vulcan is the third Summers’ kid...

And like Cable I LOVE that he has an exact location for the story.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 14 Nov 2020, 02:26

Usernamenotimportant wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:00
I dislike how some writers can't let go of stupid ideas like this even decades later.
I'm not sure if it's better or worse that Nicieza himself even realizes it was a half-assed idea (coming up with the "brothers" line without an attached idea) but there are clearly some fans of the idea so... *shrug*

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 15 Nov 2020, 15:43

Magnus wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 02:26
I dislike how some writers can't let go of stupid ideas like this even decades later.
I'm not sure if it's better or worse that Nicieza himself even realizes it was a half-assed idea (coming up with the "brothers" line without an attached idea) but there are clearly some fans of the idea so... *shrug*
But...but...it's from the 90's! There's nostalgia! And stuff!

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 18 Nov 2020, 15:12

I dislike how some writers can't let go of stupid ideas like this even decades later. Claremont is also a master of this. I expect this to completely ignored by other writers.
Claremont will also write for this title, so we probably get some (stupid) danglers from him as well :D

Still would have loved a Moira title more then this. A title wich will go back to key moments in X-history to see what the Trirumvirate really was planning/doing behind the curtain
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 18 Nov 2020, 18:57

"But Daddy! Third Summers Brother was MY TOY! Make him give it back!"

Seriously? Like you admit it was poorly done. Forget and Move Forward. No shame in writing something bad.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 18 Nov 2020, 19:17

Reading the article, Nicienza states that he never came up with the third Summers brother name. Mostly because Adam wouldn't be a Summers. It was sort of a thing that grew legs on its own.

But also, this is a plot thread that is a little more than a 'coulda woulda', because there are actual canon in-book references that reinforce the idea, like the story between Adam and Philip Summers.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Nov 2020, 19:47

The reaction to it is like he’s doing a retcon or something lol...sheesh, I didn’t know this would upset people so much lol

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 22 Nov 2020, 05:23

It doesn't upset me so much as make me shake my head in disappointment. I don't care if Adam-X is related to Scott or Alex in any way whatsoever. If he wants to give Adam a chance to shine jettison that baggage and just do a fun Adam-X story.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 22 Nov 2020, 08:20

What I'll be interested to see is how they weave it in with existing continuity. Katherine Summers was pregnant with Vulcan the whole time she was in space. Maybe it was a genetic engineering process? Time will tell.

Also, it sounds like this story will be set in the past, if Scott and Alex find out they have another brother I'll be interested to find out why they've mentioned it. That's assuming they do find out though

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 22 Nov 2020, 09:05

BardicOne wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 05:23
It doesn't upset me so much as make me shake my head in disappointment. I don't care if Adam-X is related to Scott or Alex in any way whatsoever. If he wants to give Adam a chance to shine jettison that baggage and just do a fun Adam-X story.
Who knows, maybe it is a fun story that gives Adam a chance to shine all the while his heritage is finally confirmed ?
[PL_2.0]

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 28 Nov 2020, 00:05

You know that this would actually make a lot of sense :shock:

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 Dec 2020, 23:26

Is this 3 issues or open ended?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Dec 2020, 23:31

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 23:26
Is this 3 issues or open ended?

The book is ongoing nut the story is 3 issues yhen ankther creator with a different dangler.

Patch

Post by Patch » 21 Feb 2021, 21:39

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 12:22

Well...if you pay real close attention to Nicieza’s words, Vulcan is the Third Summers’ Brother but Adam X is the third brother... ;)
You know early, Marvel did a real good job of only ever saying "brothers". Fandom and subsequently the trades dubbed it "the third Summers brother." With all the press they've done leading up to X-Men Legends, Marvel's been pretty loose-y goose-y about the terminology. Even saying 'the secrets of the Summers family' is somewhat misleading. I know all will be revealed with issue #2, but I'm seeing a lot of confusion with fans thinking that Adam is Corsair's son (either with Katherine and perhaps Vulcan's twin) or fathered with some other Shi'arian (like Deathbird or something). I know what Fabian intended so I hope they make that clearer that for all the readers lol.
Flapflop wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 15:12
Claremont will also write for this title, so we probably get some (stupid) danglers from him as well :D
LOL, I'm a little worried about this too. Claremont had such a legendary run, but lately everything he puts out confuses me (especially when it comes to anything with Gambit, or Cyclops) - was a bit disappointed by the Chris Claremont Anniversary Special that came out last month.
Gibbering Fool wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 08:20
What I'll be interested to see is how they weave it in with existing continuity. Katherine Summers was pregnant with Vulcan the whole time she was in space. Maybe it was a genetic engineering process? Time will tell.

Also, it sounds like this story will be set in the past, if Scott and Alex find out they have another brother I'll be interested to find out why they've mentioned it. That's assuming they do find out though
I'm 100% on the same page. The story is unfolding great and it's a story that I have been looking forward to for a long time. But like why haven't Scott and Alex had anything to do with Adam from the time this story takes place to now? I do hope that this revelation propels the current X-books forward (with the X-Men having an eye to expansion into space and the Shi'ar, Adam brings a good connection to the empire).

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 10 Mar 2021, 12:45

Patch wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 21:39
Flapflop wrote:
LOL, I'm a little worried about this too. Claremont had such a legendary run, but lately everything he puts out confuses me (especially when it comes to anything with Gambit, or Cyclops) - was a bit disappointed by the Chris Claremont Anniversary Special that came out last month.
Marvel is celebrating Claremont a lot last couple of years with dissapointing one-shots or reprints with a new extra story.

If Marvel really want to honour him give him a own ongoing where he doesn't have to consider to much what is happening elsewhere.

Because i think here lies the problem with Claremont. He was amazing in his first run of 16 years because he could think and build it up all by himself. When they forced his hand in leaving (by giving Jim Lee all the Power, who would then leave quickly afterwards) he got disconnected from his characters and storylines.

So all times he came back afterwards he had to consider the then leading status quo and what had happened in between him leaving and picking up again. And that was not helping the quality of the stories I think.

So if they give him something, why not the Moira/Trirumvirate retrospect title. He can go back to all his amazing moments and tell what was really happening there.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Mar 2021, 16:55

Flapflop wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 12:45
Patch wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 21:39
Flapflop wrote:
...here lies the problem with Claremont. He was amazing in his first run of 16 years because he could think and build it up all by himself. When they forced his hand in leaving (by giving Jim Lee all the Power, who would then leave quickly afterwards) he got disconnected from his characters and storylines.

So all times he came back afterwards he had to consider the then leading status quo and what had happened in between him leaving and picking up again. And that was not helping the quality of the stories I think....
Yes, this. Claremont’s success was due to having more than a decade to build a nothing property into something. After all, it’s not like his first year on Uncanny in 1975-76 was anything all that great. But after he spent enough time building his own toy box, he really was able to produce great stories. He also depended heavily on the creative frisson with his artists. But that’s different than working under the thumb of an editor and inside of a shared story with other writers. So after he and his collaborators built it all up over years and years, editorial started to pull it away from him. And so he quit.

Now, every time he comes back, he’s tossed in to an overstuffed toy box and told he can’t re-build the toys. But he can’t do that because they’re not his toys. He depended on the slow, long burn and the ability to build his own ideas up. So instead, he tries to go back to his old unfinished ideas and pick up where he left off; but those ideas are tired, or don’t fit anymore, so it all feels flat.

Anyhow, I’ve heard that Marvel keeps getting him to do one-shots because they have him on an exclusive contract. He gets paid whether or not they publish anything he writes. But he can’t write for anyone else. So from time to time Marvel tosses something to him to recoup their costs and keep him on the line. I’m not sure how true this is, but it’s what I’ve read somewhere.
He/him/his

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 10 Mar 2021, 20:35

Nu-D wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:55
Anyhow, I’ve heard that Marvel keeps getting him to do one-shots because they have him on an exclusive contract. He gets paid whether or not they publish anything he writes. But he can’t write for anyone else. So from time to time Marvel tosses something to him to recoup their costs and keep him on the line. I’m not sure how true this is, but it’s what I’ve read somewhere.
I also read about the exclusivity contract but not about the "recouping costs" bit. Some of these contracts have clauses that state that the writer has to be given some work from time to time so it could be that.

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 11 Mar 2021, 14:37

_Rick_ wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 20:35
Nu-D wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:55
I also read about the exclusivity contract but not about the "recouping costs" bit. Some of these contracts have clauses that state that the writer has to be given some work from time to time so it could be that.
I think probably something of both. The exclusive contract has the clausule he has to have some project at least once a year or he can leave and they also want to earn at least some back of what they have to pay him to stay.

Think of it is a little bit sad. But i think the pay cheque he does get makes it at least worthwile.

But What if he never had left? Where would the X-men be now if he was still on it?