Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Monolith's Power Descriptions

You've been to the Character Glossary of uncannyxmen.net, but still have questions regarding how someone's power works? This is the place to ask.
Dr House

Re: Monolith's Power Descriptions

Post by Dr House » 02 Aug 2022, 09:49

Is there a PD on the Force armor (Clayton Wilson, or whoever now has it)?
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 02 Aug 2022, 12:49

Page 14 of the Archives.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

P-90

Post by P-90 » 13 Aug 2022, 16:20

I apologise in advance as this is not a power description question. I'm sure I've read that there are people who have the mutant gene but it's dormant so they don't develop any mutation, if that's correct has there ever been any stories where someone (such as Sinister) has found a way to activate that gene in some way?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 13 Aug 2022, 18:07

Every mutant has a "latent mutation" until the time when their X-Gene activates, usually during puberty in a stressful situation. Some mutants are born with abilities that trigger from an early age, even shortly after birth, such as Madrox, Meggan, etc. On the other end, there are latent mutants who pass through puberty without their X-Gene triggering itself. These mutants can live their whole life without becoming X-Gene positive. They can be triggered by an outside source other than puberty, and it has happened several times in the past. Centennial of Alpha Flight was 100 years old before his X-Gene activated. Sage possesses a jumpstart ability which can trigger latent mutations, like she did for Davis Cameron, Slipstream.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

P-90

Post by P-90 » 13 Aug 2022, 20:02

Thanks. I wonder if a mutation can influenced be by an outside source on activation of a mutant's gene or whether mutations are always genetically predetermined. I mean if say a non active mutant was exposed to gamma radiation could the gene react to it and in theory the person develop a mutation that's gamma based.

It also makes me wonder just how many mutants there are with activated genes that don't know they're mutants, for instance if they have say, a natural resistance of telepathy but haven't in their lives ever knowingly encountered a telepath.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 13 Aug 2022, 20:54

Environmental factors can affect a mutant's powers when they develop, as seen with Illyana and Sapna, to name two.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 13 Aug 2022, 23:10

Monolith wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 20:54
Environmental factors can affect a mutant's powers when they develop, as seen with Illyana and Sapna, to name two.
Oh that's interesting, thanks.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 15 Aug 2022, 16:49

P-90 wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 20:02
It also makes me wonder just how many mutants there are with activated genes that don't know they're mutants, for instance if they have say, a natural resistance of telepathy but haven't in their lives ever knowingly encountered a telepath.
This happened with Michael Pointer, didn't it? His ability to mimic mutant signatures was active from puberty on, he just lived in such a remote place in Alaska he was never near enough to another mutant for it to trigger until the Collective crashed down on top of him.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 15 Aug 2022, 16:54

sambadaemon wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 16:49
P-90 wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 20:02
This happened with Michael Pointer, didn't it? His ability to mimic mutant signatures was active from puberty on, he just lived in such a remote place in Alaska he was never near enough to another mutant for it to trigger until the Collective crashed down on top of him.
Yeah, that's right, I forgot about that.

itsmeray

Post by itsmeray » 21 Aug 2022, 09:19

Is there a difference between Idyll (father or daughter) the Seer’s powers and Destiny’s? What makes the former omega level mutants? Thanks.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 21 Aug 2022, 22:02

Destiny foresees a map of ever-shifting probabilities, not "the" future but possible futures, the likelihood of different outcomes, and her ability to influence those outcomes.

As an Omega seer, Idyll reportedly sees "THE" future, an unalterable truth of what is to come, regardless of what she might reveal or not.

itsmeray

Post by itsmeray » 21 Aug 2022, 23:46

Thanks Monolith.

But that makes it sound like Destiny is more powerful then in that she can at least influence outcomes.

But, on the other hand, if Destiny is trying to change something, it may be futile based on what “THE” future actually will be. So Destiny would be powerless.

I guess it’s the difference between soft determinism and hard determinism.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 22 Aug 2022, 12:39

If Idyll truly knows the inalterable future, then that means she also knows everything Destiny knows, and incorporates Destiny's failures or successes in influencing outcomes into her forecastings.

ikkem

Post by ikkem » 28 Aug 2022, 17:16

could you make a pd on somnus carl valentino of the marauders

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 01 Sep 2022, 02:09

Not really enough for a full PD yet. He's an oneiromancer, able to interact with the subconscious mind. He can enter people's dreams, or draw people into a dream state. When sharing a dreamscape with someone(s), he can conjure up any object or scenario from his imagination or the imagination or memories of the other person or persons. In particular, he's known for playing with the elasticity of time in the dreamscape, stretching dreams so that hours, years, even decades seem to pass. This allows greater relativistic time to strategize in a battle, or allows him to master a subject or skill, taught to him by another person in their dreamscape for a single night, stretched to years of study.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 10 Sep 2022, 16:43

Are there PD's on Bailey Hoskins (was he canon) and Choir (Irina Clayton)?

P-90

Post by P-90 » 10 Sep 2022, 17:29

I read that Bei The Blood Moon's 'doom note' power is part sonic blast and part psionic translation power, I can't remember if the blast it shown as a convention sonic scream where it's audible to those around her, is it?

Also, she's currently on a team with Kylun, has he ever been shown to mimic the audible aspects of sonic powers at any point in the past? (those of Banshee or Siryn for example)

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 11 Sep 2022, 12:36

@House: Nothing particular of note to say about either of them. Hoskins was not in continuity with the 616 universe.

@P90: When used offensively, the Doom Note does portray as a traditional sonic scream, an audible sonic boom erupting from her throat. Kylun has never mimicked sonic scream powers in the past, to my knowledge, but he has mimicked sound effects and other noises beyond conventional human voices, indicating he can adapt his echoes to a variety of sounds beyond normal speech.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 11 Sep 2022, 12:56

Thanks.

Oh I forgot, do you have any info on the 'Godpack' team created by the High Evolutionary, I've read some info on them but don't know what all of their abilities are.
Last edited by P-90 on 27 Sep 2022, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 27 Sep 2022, 13:03

What about Maximilian Stone (Earthmover)?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 27 Sep 2022, 19:14

Hey, P-90, sorry I didn't see the edit.

There's really nothing to say about the Godpack, though. They were extremely one-note characters. Blitzana had lightning blasts. Luminor had light blasts. Anak was big and strong. Bellum was big and strong and had an axe hand. Etc.

Earth-Mover was the synthesis of a sentient magma entity and a human scientist. His body was composed entirely of rock. He had superhuman strength and durability. If damaged or broken, his body could reform itself. He could liquify by raising his temperature to shift from sold rock into magma. While in magma form, he could liquify other rock in his area on contact, assimilating it to become a larger and stronger rock form when he reverted to solid state.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 27 Sep 2022, 19:27

Was the other Earthmover (the one tutored by Shaman) just a standard magic user, or did he have some extra connection to the Earth?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 27 Sep 2022, 20:44

He had magical potential which Shaman compared to Omega-class mutants in scale. His early training involved learning to use Shaman's medicine bag, and drawing magically potent items from the pouch. In his case, the items he drew were associated with the earth, so he focused on developing his powers in that direction, calling forth items to shape the earth, conjure rock and earth-based totems, etc. His full potential likely extended far beyond this.