Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Monolith's Power Descriptions

You've been to the Character Glossary of uncannyxmen.net, but still have questions regarding how someone's power works? This is the place to ask.
Monolith

Re: Monolith's Power Descriptions

Post by Monolith » 21 Sep 2020, 17:55

It's pretty similar. She uses artificial collapsing wings on her costume instead of bio-implants. I believe her stingers are artificial as well. She had much greater control over Pym Particles, though, using them to achieve microscopic size or even travel to sub-atomic realms, and can alter the size of other objects more freely than Jan does.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 23 Sep 2020, 13:50

1.) Are there PD's on Sundown (David Lowell) and Sunturion (Arthur Dearborn)?

2.) The Quantum-Bands draw their power from the Quantum Zone. Apart from the former being a source of only one type of energy, what's the difference between there and hyperspace?
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 25 Sep 2020, 13:46

1) Sundown received powers from a photogenesis formula, allowing him to power up on absorbing heat and light. His body generates a dark aura, indicating the light from his immediate area is being absorbed. When he first got his powers, Sundown's energy siphoning ability was causing all of Manhattan to grow darker and cooler, indicating he had phenomenal range and storage ability for his absorption powers. Later, Sundown demonstrated the ability to localize his heat/light absorption, creating blackouts in small volumes of space. The energy he absorbed could be converted for superhuman strength, endurance, and durability, flight, solar blasts, a protective aura, and proportionate size-changing, allowing him to grow to massive size.

Arthur Dearborn underwent microwave experiments, turning him into a self-sustaining energy being called Sunturion. Despite his armored appearance, Sunturion is not technologically supported -- both his human appearance and his Sunturion identity are deliberate projections of his energy form. Sunturion absorbs various forms of energy for personal sustenance, including solar energy and different kinds of background radiation. He can fly and survive unaided in vacuum and has only minimal desire for food or oxygen. Arthur can transform completely into energy, beaming himself at the speed of light from one point to another. He can shift into intangible energy and has only minimal reaction to physical assaults even when solid. Sunturion can project microwave discharges of various intensity, cast microwave shields for defense, or shape energy into holographic projections.

2) Hyperspace as the origin point of the four fundamental forces was posited by Tom DeFalco in FF, but never really explored beyond empowering Hyperstorm. The Quantum Zone is clearly a pocket dimension, but "hyperspace" may just be a higher or lower plane in this reality...not a "separate" physical space at all.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 26 Sep 2020, 19:25

Thanks. Is there a PD on Vibro (Dr. Francis Vibreaux)?

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 27 Sep 2020, 01:55

I can't find Magik's PD, my question is, her soulsword works in anything now, and not only magical beings, right?
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 27 Sep 2020, 02:30

@manuel: Yeah, her sword is kind of like Psylocke's katana -- it can be a sword that cuts matter, or it can strike without harming a target but cutting through the magic, removing enchantments or ending possession, etc.

@DrHouse: Dude shoots vibrations. Standard power set.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 05 Oct 2020, 12:32

Is there a PD on the DC character Poison Ivy?

What's the difference between Plastic Man and Elongated Man?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 05 Oct 2020, 17:03

I don't have an intimate, detailed knowledge of most DC characters. And by the time I finish this post, they'll have done another Crisis retcon anyway.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 12 Oct 2020, 20:18

No prob.

1.) If someone is tethered to Moira’s mind at the time of her death, will that person’s mind be transmitted back in time with Moira?

2.) It’s been stated that Moira’s deaths eradicate the timelines they happen in. Wouldn’t that make her presence in the 616 be as a nexus being like how Immortus established the Scarlet Witch as?

3.) Can you explain the Time Bubble?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 12 Oct 2020, 22:01

1) There's no reason to believe so.

2) Not really -- the two situations are only vaguely similar. Timelines somehow require a nexus being to exist, but since those beings aren't typically immortal, the "status" of nexus being must somehow pass on. Immortus found he could eradicate entire timelines by killing nexus beings before they were destined to die. However, the timelines were then GONE entirely. Moira purported ability doesn't eliminate her timeline, but reboots it. The timeline continues under new conditions. And that's assuming her power works the way it has been claimed thus far, which seems unlikely.

3) In the future, the Dreaming Celestial changed Galactus so his appetite increased dramatically. He grew larger and ate more, creating a point singularity or black hole to contain the massive amounts he had consumed. The black hole became potent enough to warp space-time, creating a barrier or Time Bubble which prevented time travel into that era except under extreme conditions. The Bubble existed 15-20 years into the future of the Marvel Universe at the time stories were told about it, acting as a barrier which prevented travel further into the future.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Oct 2020, 11:28

Dr House wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 12:32

From what I know “anything Elongated Man can do, Plastic Man can do better”. PM’s default state is somewhere between liquid and solid, allowing him greater shape shifting abilities (as this hurts EM, I believe), PM can stretch farther, is functionally invulnerable and immortal, and is capable of greater feats of form control than EM.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Oct 2020, 14:22

das_boot wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 11:28
Dr House wrote:

From what I know “anything Elongated Man can do, Plastic Man can do better”. PM’s default state is somewhere between liquid and solid, allowing him greater shape shifting abilities (as this hurts EM, I believe), PM can stretch farther, is functionally invulnerable and immortal, and is capable of greater feats of form control than EM.
Also from a story perspective, Elongated Man fits in the universe a little better, he's a more standard super-hero trope than Plastic Man is. Plastic Man is very comedic in tone (or at least he used to be when I read his comics). As a result his powers can be used in a very light-hearted way. Like shapeshifting into a mailbox that still has the color scheme of his costume and even his face all kind of stretched out all over the place, but the bad guys don't seem to notice and just think he's a mailbox. He doesn't necessarily break the fourth well ala Deadpool, but he does stretch the suspension of disbelief in a very cartoony or comedic way.

Here's an example:

X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 16 Oct 2020, 16:19

Anna Raven wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 14:22
das_boot wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 11:28
Dr House wrote:

Also from a story perspective, Elongated Man fits in the universe a little better, he's a more standard super-hero trope than Plastic Man is. Plastic Man is very comedic in tone (or at least he used to be when I read his comics). As a result his powers can be used in a very light-hearted way. Like shapeshifting into a mailbox that still has the color scheme of his costume and even his face all kind of stretched out all over the place, but the bad guys don't seem to notice and just think he's a mailbox. He doesn't necessarily break the fourth well ala Deadpool, but he does stretch the suspension of disbelief in a very cartoony or comedic way.

Here's an example:

I want to say it's also true that he can separate parts of himself into mobile parts (such as becoming a helicopter with with a functioning propeller that spins) which I don't think Elongated Man nor Mr. Fantastic can do. I could be wrong on this so maybe someone can confirm.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Oct 2020, 17:40

I mean you can kind of see it in that image I linked with the wheels and treads of the front loader he's turned into. Those would likely be separate working parts. Otherwise he's just sliding across the ground somehow.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 21 Oct 2020, 09:27

Before the Age of Apocalypse became basically a divergent “What If?” timeline, it was a rewrite of the 616 continuum from the point of Xavier’s death.

But how was re-writing the timeline via time-travel possible when Marvel’s often stated that changing the past just results in branching timelines that run parallel to the original?

Was it something about Legion’s time-travel power that allowed such a feat to be originally accomplished?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 21 Oct 2020, 11:21

Despite what Kang, or Doom, or Reed Richards might claim, they live in a shared fictional universe -- the rules about time travel are whatever the current writer says they are.

Sometimes time travel is an inevitable part of a fixed timeline, sometimes it creates branching parallel timelines, and sometimes it's so hazardous it can cause a paradox that destroys the universe. Because comics.