Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Monolith's Power Descriptions

You've been to the Character Glossary of uncannyxmen.net, but still have questions regarding how someone's power works? This is the place to ask.
Dr House

Re: Monolith's Power Descriptions

Post by Dr House » 11 Mar 2020, 16:13

Hey can I get a PD on Gravity (Greg Willis) please?
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 17 Mar 2020, 01:27

Nothing to say about Pink Lady. She was a one-off character with a vague power set, who did a series of things one time.

Gravity is in the Archives, Page 18.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Monet

Post by Monet » 19 Mar 2020, 22:57

@Monolith

I have some questions about the Skrulls.
  • When the Skrulls change size: Growing smaller, do they "delete" their current mass; and when they "grow" in size do they gain mass (some how)? Or do they remain the same size overall no matter what size they are, stretching it when growing bigger than normal size and compressing it when grow smaller? Similar to Mystique.
  • Do they gain the "biological signature" of the persons/beings they mimic allow them to full DNA or blood tests and scents to full ferals like Wolverine?
  • When Skrull shapeshift into inorganic things are is more bio-inorganic mimicking the properties of the item or is it like Mystique only changing to look like the material i.e. when changes clothes? (Also, while you answering that could you answer this if Mystique "removed" her closer, closing the mass, does the material maintain its status as a pieces of clothing or jewelry permanently or does it disintegrate over time the way dead cells would?)
  • Could you explain the difference between Super-Skrulls and Warskrulls?
  • Super Skrull (Kl'rt) is said the able to stretch more than 100 miles, do you think is an accurate combination of his Skrull physiology and the plasticity of Mr. Fantastic? Or is this him begin able to use the Cosmic Elements for proficiently then the FF.
  • The same question goes for Kl'rt and his ability to lift more than The Thing. Does his Skrull physiology enhance this ability similar in the way it did with Hulkling being Skrull and Kree (I'm just guessing).
Other questions:
  • Could you do a PD on Leong and Nga Coy Manh when they where Template and Replicate and when Spiral gave them powers. It was during the three part Beast (Hank McCoy) series.
  • The Fantastic Four where mutated by Cosmic Radiation, which allows them to each manipulate a Cosmic Element, right? That being said what are the Cosmic elements? Beings also like Her (Ayesha), Norrin Rad (Silver Surfer), and Raymond Storm (Super Storm) are also said to be able to manipulate Cosmic elements.
"You just put six holes in a Louis Vuitton shirt and you expect me to 'wait'? For what? The 'fashion police?" ― M.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 20 Mar 2020, 01:16

- Skrulls have SOME ability to produce additional mass as they change size, becoming stronger and sturdier than normal. Anything above, say, twice normal size and stature is a visual bluff, stretching their bodies to the limits. It's also likely it varies from Skrull to Skrull.

- Generally, no. The technology pioneered for Secret Invasion's infiltration was the first widespread use of a BOOST to Skrull physiology, making them that undetectable. Lyja revealed herself to the FF inadvertently when Reed was preparing to install just such a bio-signature detector machine that would have outed her as Alicia Masters.

- A normal Skrull may be able to compress their mass/density to become hard as rock, but they are not actually rock, if that's what you mean. If Mystique sheds a layer of clothing morphed from her skin, it will probably deteriorate just like dead skin cells or hair.

- A Super-Skrull, such as Kl'rt, Paibok, Xavin, or the SI invaders, has been permanently imprinted with a power set or sets copied (or reverse engineered) from a template being. Warskrulls are physically superior specimens, genetically engineered to be superhumanly strong and imposing compared to humans or normal Skrulls. Warskrull cadres use semi-portable equipment that can hook up a Warskrull and a template, allowing them to mimic the mind and powers of that template. So while Super-Skrulls have a stable power set often from multiple templates, Warskrulls have a single, transitory power set which they can discard and replace, with the proper technology and access to the original.

- 100 miles seems way too much. Mr. Fantastic tops out at about 500 yards and, while Kl'rt was designed to be stronger than the FF, not THAT stronger. But yes, Reed's power template effectively gives Kl'rt just an enhanced version of the polymorphic aspect of his own natural shape-changing powers.

- The power template of the Thing is so strong, the amount of weight Kl'rt could lift as a normal Skrull is negligible to the math involved.

- Leong had living nanite skin, sort of like the Skinless Man originally. He could animate the skin and detect portions of it to operate remotely, regenerating any skin he lost in this fashion. Nga resembled a giant snail. She could genetically sample someone and grow a mixed genetic duplicate in her hollow shell. Like a butterfly, she could discard her body and animate this duplicate as it emerged. The duplicate had the basic appearance and abilities of the genetic template, mixed with the bio-mechanical look Nga had at the time.

- "Cosmic Elements" aren't a thing. Not like The Power Cosmic, or Gamma Radiation are. Each of the FF got powers from cosmic radiation and, if you really squint, all four of them are KINDA like the natural elements of earth, fire, water, and air. But that's a vague thematic factor, is all.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Mar 2020, 12:28

Wasn't the elemental nature more prominent in the Ultimate FF books? That's when I remember the argument of them being "elemental" in nature first gained traction for me.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 20 Mar 2020, 12:43

There was also a JMS(?) run of FF that said their powers were all literal representations of their personalities. Reed has a flexible mind, Ben was sturdy and dependable, etc. "Why THOSE powers" has been explained different ways over time.