Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Monolith's Power Descriptions

You've been to the Character Glossary of uncannyxmen.net, but still have questions regarding how someone's power works? This is the place to ask.
Monet

Re: Monolith's Power Descriptions

Post by Monet » 07 Jun 2019, 03:10

Monolith, could you explain the difference between telekinesis and psychokinesis? Is there a difference or is just the naming? Is one a subset of the other or are they two different abilities? As Justice (Vance Astrovik) and Skein/Gypsy Moth are labeled as psychokinetics while Jean Grey, Psylocke (Betsy Braddock) and Hellion (Julian Keller) are marked as telekinetics though they all seemingly have the psionic ability to move, manipulate and control a multitude of people and objects with the mind without physically touching them.
"You just put six holes in a Louis Vuitton shirt and you expect me to 'wait'? For what? The 'fashion police?" ― M.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 07 Jun 2019, 13:48

Generally speaking, the two terms can be applied interchangeably.

The one place where they were used as distinct definitions was in an old Guardians of the Galaxy back-up explaining the difference between the powers of Vance Astro and Vance Astrovik (then Marvel Boy). Astrovik was described as telekinetic, having the generally understood power for lifting and manipulating matter using psychic energy. His future self Vance Astro, however, was described as psychokinetic for the ability to apply force to matter. Astro therefore had a more limited form of telekinesis where he could only "push" objects (violently or otherwise) instead of "hold" objects mentally.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 17 Jun 2019, 09:12

Is there a PD on the Warwolves and Willie Evans?
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 21 Jun 2019, 17:37

I'll be honest...Iron Man Annual #8 has been sitting in my house (well, houses) for over 20 years now and I've never read it because the cover art is SO bad. That's it. That's my only excuse for not knowing more about Willie Evans.

Warwolves are supernatural trackers from the Wildways, composed of a material resembling liquid metal. Compared to humans or normal wolves, they have greater strength, speed, reflexes, leaping ability, and durability. Their latent shapeshifting abilities allow them to absorb impact and damage in combat without suffering permanent injury, flexing with the force they are exposed to and eventually popping back to normal. Their tracking abilities extend beyond normal olfactory detection into at least partially psionic location. They are also highly resilient to direct telepathic or telekinetic attacks, making them perfect foes for Rachel Summers. Their primary trick is "skinning" their prey to create disguises. In close quarters, a Warwolf can absorb the life essence of a victim, killing them and emptying out their bodies, leaving only the skin and clothing. Warwolves can then wear the skins, magically changing their shapes to seamlessly fit inside the skin and impersonate the victim, even copying their voices. Warwolves can emerge from the skins and regain their original form over and over, so long as the skin is properly preserved. On one occasion, the Warwolves demonstrated the ability to physically merge with one another, becoming a single giant Warwolf with individual heads for the different wolves who merged, like a hydra.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 24 Jun 2019, 14:22

I may have asked this before because it's always been in the back of my head, but are Silhouette, Midnight's Fire, and Bandit considered to be mutants? I know they originally were, but none of the Folding Circle are, and their powers have the same source, right? The Universal Wellspring?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 24 Jun 2019, 14:42

It's ambiguous. The Folding Circle (or Children of the Pact) were born with the capacity for superhuman abilities due to their parents being exposed to the Wellspring of Power through the Temple of the Dragon's Breadth. At the time they were introduced in the 90's, the general understanding was that anybody born with their powers was a mutant. Since then, however, Marvel has changed the definition of mutant by introducing the X-Gene, and the possibility of people being born with powers that were caused by something other than the X-Gene. None of the Folding Circle or related characters were identified in the Collective Decimation List or the 198 Files after M-Day as mutants who retained or lost their powers. Both answers are possible -- the presence of Wellspring energies alone could give them powers, or the Wellspring energy could have triggered the X-Gene.

Monet

Post by Monet » 17 Jul 2019, 21:33

Could I get a PD on Azazel and team Trouble (Halflife, Quantum, Zzzax)?
"You just put six holes in a Louis Vuitton shirt and you expect me to 'wait'? For what? The 'fashion police?" ― M.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 18 Jul 2019, 13:27

"Team Trouble"? Halflife, Quantum and Zzzaz are mixed in with Graviton on page 4 of the Archives.

Azazel has no defined power set. He has a Brimstone Dimension based teleportation ability, like Nightcrawler, although he is also capable of travelling to the Brimstone Dimension consciously and staying there instead of merely using it as a waystation. He has demonstrated various other skills at one time or another, but these seem to be from a mastery of magic, not additional mutant powers, and each spell has been singular and not something he has done repeatedly.

Monet

Post by Monet » 18 Jul 2019, 22:49

Thank you for that PD on Azazel and directing me to the others. (If I would scrolled down I would have saw them)

Could I have PD's on the teams Gemini (Front; Balance; Grip; Mandala; Suede) and Raksha (Norio, Gazing Nightshade, Hexadecimal, Whisper Doll). Thanks!

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 19 Jul 2019, 13:07

Gemini is from Marvel's Italian comic, Europa. I've never read it and, to my knowledge, it's never been translated into English.

Norio's missing eye is replaced with black energy resembling Darkforce. He can project the energy from his eye as a blast of force energy, or use it to create tangible tendrils to grab and lift objects from a distance.

Gazing Nightshade has no functional eyes, and indeed bleeds black fluid from her eye sockets when her powers are in use. She uses a form of empathic clairvoyance to sense and navigate her surroundings. Her power allows her to see into people's souls, finding their darkest and most powerful emotional resonances and (to some degree) read the thoughts and memories associated with those emotional impressions. She can use her power aggressively by amplifying those emotions and forcing her target to confront their buried feelings. Her victim begins to bleed from the eyes as well when afflicting by Ngihtshade's power.

Whisper Doll is a skilled swordswoman who claims to be immune to telepathy. No specific mutant ability was ever explained or assigned to her, though.

Hexadecimal is a techno-constructor. He can manipulate inanimate matter in his vicinity, primarily metal, and cause it to reshape itself into animal drone constructs under his command, such as a lion or arachnids.

Monet

Post by Monet » 01 Aug 2019, 14:47

Thanks for those PD.

Could I have a PD's on the different Amp's including Zachary/Amp, Amp (1610) and Amp (Halcyon) those in Offer's Squad, meaning, Offer, Fuel, Lost Boy and Pinch. Thanks, in advance.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 01 Aug 2019, 18:39

Hello Mono

In your opinion, could someone with growth powers (Atlas, Giant-Man etc.) use a scream or shout as a deafening attack if their face was close enough to an opponent?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 02 Aug 2019, 17:51

@P-90:

...I guess? When they get bigger, their voices are louder and their lung capacity is higher. I don't know if it would literally deafen someone, though.

@Monet:

The nature of Offer's ability was never entirely clear. It appeared to be an intuitive ability for processing information, a superhuman cognitive power similar to abilities like Cypher, Forge, Callisto's battlefield awareness. By talking to someone or gathering information about them, the Offer is able to construct a data profile that identifies his subject's wants and needs. This works as a predictive model allowing him to understand someone's motivations and how they will react in a certain situation. A secondary aspect of his power creates connecting points to his own knowledge, resources, and abilities, allowing him to intuitively recognize what he has to "offer" his subject in order to fulfill their needs or motivations. A comparison would be between the first aspect of Offer's power and Forge's ability to conceive inventions, and the second aspect of his power and Forge's ability to assess the components he has available to build his inventions. Put it all together, and the Offer can create "deals" that offer people something they want in exchange for something he wants, and his subject will accept these deals with an abnormally high success rate.

Fuel has the ability to boost power through systems of various kinds. He can augment existing superhumans abilities, charge and overload mechanical systems, heighten metabolic activity to increase someone's speed, reaction time, stamina and energy level, etc.

Pinch has a unique form of telekinesis that applies intense pressure to small surface areas. This allows her to perform extremely delicate acts of force like "pinching" nerve endings or blood vessels to cause pain, spasms, paralysis, or unconsciousness. By "pinching" electronic circuits she can disable alarm systems or disrupt locking mechanisms or other functions that rely on unencumbered electron flow. By building surface pressure on otherwise smooth or sturdy materials, she can "pinch" the matter so that it erupts outwards, creating a kind of shrapnel.

The Lost Boy generates a form of explosive power which can destroy objects or propel him for flight.

Amp of the Halycon turns into electricity. Amp of Ultimate X-Men increases mutant powers. Each made about one appearance, so there's no detail to provide beyond that.

Zachary "Amp" could boost or negate the effectiveness of energetic systems. When applied to mechanical systems, he could cause them to lose power and cease functions, receive power and turn operational, or overload on power and run haywire or even explode. When affecting superhuman powers, he could reduce them to be virtually powerless or boost them to uncontrollable levels. He learned enough selectivity to boost the lingering traces of Deathseed in Daken, restoring his altered Horseman form.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 02 Aug 2019, 19:00

Thanks for the reply. I assume it would be more of a temporary effect, maybe causing a short bout of disorienting pain, deafness and ringing in the ears similar to the aftermath of an explosion.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Monet

Post by Monet » 07 Aug 2019, 19:24

@Monolith:

Thanks for the PD's. Great work.

I was wondering if you could explain Callisto's (since you mentioned her in Offer's PD) battlefield awareness, strength and weakness assessment, intuitive capacity for combat, intuitive tactical ability and combat perception in-depth - if you wouldn't mind. (I did read her her PD, sorry. :/) Also, could you compare her heightened strength, speed, agility, endurance, reflexes, sensory perceptions, and regenerative powers to another Marvel character is like Black Widow level, Captain American, M or someone else.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 07 Aug 2019, 19:37

Callisto's powers have never been described or developed in detail. they are mostly used just as a placeholder to present her as a "highly skilled fighter", without further elaboration. Her battlefield awareness was only introduced by Claremont in Excalibur (3rd series), or maybe XXM The Arena, and not used by anyone else. Her sense of smell is good enough to detect and recognize scents, and she has excellent night vision. That's about the extent of what's been confirmed for her.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 10 Aug 2019, 16:56

Hi, is there a PD on the Soul Skinner?
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monet

Post by Monet » 11 Aug 2019, 05:57

@Monolith:

Thanks for explain what you could about Callisto.

Another question. Is there a difference between Magneto and Polaris? Power wise, mutation wise. I know Lorna has her green hair and aura and that they are polarity is opposites but is there a difference - is he more magnetism, and is she more electromagnetism.

Also, is it true that Polaris' primary mutation is her green and electromagnetism powers are her secondary mutation. Explained as: Lorna’s primary mutant power is that she has green hair. She was born with green hair, and has been dying it brown her whole life. However, she is kidnapped by Mesmero. Mesmero’s machine brought about Lorna’s secondary mutation: magnetism. Her primary mutation is the green hair, her secondary mutation is her control over magnetic forces. The mutation which Mastermind blocked when memory wiped her as a child.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 11 Aug 2019, 13:49

Soul Skinner is just a telepath with a motif. He cast illusions and draws forth painful thoughts and memories to manipulate others into serving him.

Practically speaking, there is no difference between Magneto and Polaris. Any feat one performs, the other could potentially perform as well.

No, there is no truth whatsoever to the idea that Polaris's hair is her primary mutation and her magnetic powers are a secondary mutation.