Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Monolith's Power Descriptions

You've been to the Character Glossary of uncannyxmen.net, but still have questions regarding how someone's power works? This is the place to ask.
Monet

Re: Monolith's Power Descriptions

Post by Monet » 07 Jun 2019, 03:10

Monolith, could you explain the difference between telekinesis and psychokinesis? Is there a difference or is just the naming? Is one a subset of the other or are they two different abilities? As Justice (Vance Astrovik) and Skein/Gypsy Moth are labeled as psychokinetics while Jean Grey, Psylocke (Betsy Braddock) and Hellion (Julian Keller) are marked as telekinetics though they all seemingly have the psionic ability to move, manipulate and control a multitude of people and objects with the mind without physically touching them.
"You just put six holes in a Louis Vuitton shirt and you expect me to 'wait'? For what? The 'fashion police?" ― M.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 07 Jun 2019, 13:48

Generally speaking, the two terms can be applied interchangeably.

The one place where they were used as distinct definitions was in an old Guardians of the Galaxy back-up explaining the difference between the powers of Vance Astro and Vance Astrovik (then Marvel Boy). Astrovik was described as telekinetic, having the generally understood power for lifting and manipulating matter using psychic energy. His future self Vance Astro, however, was described as psychokinetic for the ability to apply force to matter. Astro therefore had a more limited form of telekinesis where he could only "push" objects (violently or otherwise) instead of "hold" objects mentally.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 17 Jun 2019, 09:12

Is there a PD on the Warwolves and Willie Evans?
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 21 Jun 2019, 17:37

I'll be honest...Iron Man Annual #8 has been sitting in my house (well, houses) for over 20 years now and I've never read it because the cover art is SO bad. That's it. That's my only excuse for not knowing more about Willie Evans.

Warwolves are supernatural trackers from the Wildways, composed of a material resembling liquid metal. Compared to humans or normal wolves, they have greater strength, speed, reflexes, leaping ability, and durability. Their latent shapeshifting abilities allow them to absorb impact and damage in combat without suffering permanent injury, flexing with the force they are exposed to and eventually popping back to normal. Their tracking abilities extend beyond normal olfactory detection into at least partially psionic location. They are also highly resilient to direct telepathic or telekinetic attacks, making them perfect foes for Rachel Summers. Their primary trick is "skinning" their prey to create disguises. In close quarters, a Warwolf can absorb the life essence of a victim, killing them and emptying out their bodies, leaving only the skin and clothing. Warwolves can then wear the skins, magically changing their shapes to seamlessly fit inside the skin and impersonate the victim, even copying their voices. Warwolves can emerge from the skins and regain their original form over and over, so long as the skin is properly preserved. On one occasion, the Warwolves demonstrated the ability to physically merge with one another, becoming a single giant Warwolf with individual heads for the different wolves who merged, like a hydra.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 24 Jun 2019, 14:22

I may have asked this before because it's always been in the back of my head, but are Silhouette, Midnight's Fire, and Bandit considered to be mutants? I know they originally were, but none of the Folding Circle are, and their powers have the same source, right? The Universal Wellspring?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 24 Jun 2019, 14:42

It's ambiguous. The Folding Circle (or Children of the Pact) were born with the capacity for superhuman abilities due to their parents being exposed to the Wellspring of Power through the Temple of the Dragon's Breadth. At the time they were introduced in the 90's, the general understanding was that anybody born with their powers was a mutant. Since then, however, Marvel has changed the definition of mutant by introducing the X-Gene, and the possibility of people being born with powers that were caused by something other than the X-Gene. None of the Folding Circle or related characters were identified in the Collective Decimation List or the 198 Files after M-Day as mutants who retained or lost their powers. Both answers are possible -- the presence of Wellspring energies alone could give them powers, or the Wellspring energy could have triggered the X-Gene.