Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Mystique's Shapechanging

You've been to the Character Glossary of uncannyxmen.net, but still have questions regarding how someone's power works? This is the place to ask.
AntiBody

Mystique's Shapechanging

Post by AntiBody » 20 May 2014, 22:56

When Mystique changes shape, does she retain her original DNA, or take on the DNA of the person she shifts into?

I was thinking about the reveal that she had taken on Moira's form while giving birth to Raze. I know this will be tricky, but bear with me... I'm sure while she was pregnant, she changed form a few times; I doubt she stayed as Moira throughout the whole pregnancy. But let's say she did. Let's say she was in Moira's form pre-, during, and post-coitus. Let's say she stayed in that form all nine months, also throughout birth. Would the child have Mystique's DNA or look more like Moira?

While thinking about this, it occurs to me that, if she'd had the baby in/near Moira's homeland, perhaps to maintain the illusion, the doctors might have noticed some abnormal vitals. But then again, I'm sure birth makes everything in the body go absolutely haywire.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Monolith

Re: Mystique's Shapechanging

Post by Monolith » 21 May 2014, 01:11

Traditionally, Mystique is only capable of performing essentially cosmetic changes to her appearance and physiology. She cannot mimic DNA. Although her powers have been enhanced several times in recent years, there's no indication that this fundamental limitation to her powers has changed.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 21 May 2014, 13:08

Ah okay. I figured it might be something like this. Thanks Mono!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 21 May 2014, 21:08

I have a question too if you don't mind and it might be sort of unanswerable as I'm not sure if it was covered in the comics

But have they ever explained what happens when Mystique is pregnant? Can she still shift or does she have to stay in that form for nine months?

Wings

Post by Wings » 21 May 2014, 21:44

Well, I think she did shift from Baroness Wagner to her true form when she was giving birth to Kurt . (not sure about during the pregnancy). Did they ever show Mystique when she was pregnant with Graydon?
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 22 May 2014, 01:00

Good question! And can she shapechange while pregnant so as to not look pregnant?

Abaddon

Post by Abaddon » 22 May 2014, 01:31

AntiBody wrote:Good question! And can she shapechange while pregnant so as to not look pregnant?
I think it might harm the baby if she did something that drastic. Good question though.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go."
-Oscar Wilde

ecrm

Post by ecrm » 06 Jun 2014, 14:36

Hi guys, new member here! :D

I remember Tom Brevoort posted something about Mystique's shapechanging on his tumblr, here was his answer:
Is one of Mystique's mutant powers the ability to hide pregnancies? Because she didn't look pregnant in any of her apearances the last several years. Also, why did she pretend to be a dead person instead of a random woman, hospital workers might notice their documents say their patient is legally dead.
Anonymous

Mystique can look like a man, or a little kid, or an old person—why wouldn’t you think she could look like she wasn’t pregnant?

As for the rest, read teh book!
I've got a question of my own too: Does anyone know any of the issues where Mystique transforms one of the skulls on her belt into a weapon? Her power description mentions it, but I've never been able to find it in the early comics. Although I am still missing one or two of them.

jesse james

Post by jesse james » 06 Jun 2014, 22:46

I think it's the issue where she fights the X-Men robots in Arcade's Murderworld, right before the brotherhood attacks the X-men for taking Rogue from them...

Abaddon

Post by Abaddon » 07 Jun 2014, 01:06

Ok Brevoort......we know Mystique can be anyone she wants, but that still doesn't take into account what might happen to the child if she radically altered her body. :?

As to the rest, I can only hope that means Moira will be back at some point....and Rahne with her. :D
-Oscar Wilde

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Jun 2014, 01:09

Well post upgrade, Mystique has shown a lot more facets to her powers than before. And considering the relationship a baby has to a woman and that some women get pregnant and come to term without really "showing" in the real world, it isn't too much of a stretch on her new powers to be able to conceal a pregnancy. It might be worth it to examine all her power displays since her resurrection and upgrade.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Abaddon

Post by Abaddon » 07 Jun 2014, 03:44

Blackcyclops wrote:Well post upgrade, Mystique has shown a lot more facets to her powers than before. And considering the relationship a baby has to a woman and that some women get pregnant and come to term without really "showing" in the real world, it isn't too much of a stretch on her new powers to be able to conceal a pregnancy. It might be worth it to examine all her power displays since her resurrection and upgrade.
Fair enough, I think you're on to something here BC.
-Oscar Wilde

Wings

Post by Wings » 07 Jun 2014, 21:54

Well she displayed the ability to grow wings and stretch while attempting to recruit Shark Girl in Brazil, simultaneously stretching small amounts of skin while also stretching her arm to wrap it around Shark Girl. I think she also regrew a limb and shifted her arms into melee weapons during that encounter.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

ecrm

Post by ecrm » 07 Jun 2014, 23:54

She's also changed into a number of small children over the years which must need a certain amount of internal rearranging. Plus there've been a few incidents of her taking animal forms since her latest power up which would mean even more internal changes?

Dog transformation: link

ecrm

Post by ecrm » 15 Aug 2014, 18:20

There's this panel in Wolverine 11 this week-it looks almost like she's liquefying herself.
Spoiler: show

Cable

Post by Cable » 01 Aug 2016, 01:45

When Mystique is knocked unconscious she reverts to her blue form correct? (which is how we know that is her real appearance)

My question is then whether she is able to maintain her shapeshifts while sleeping. Has she ever been shown doing this?
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 01 Aug 2016, 04:30

I'd assume she has to. She's been in too many situations where if someone sleeping next to her woke up while she was sleeping she'd be in a bad situation. Her relationship with Count Wagner for instance.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

judeno

Post by judeno » 05 Nov 2018, 04:29

What about the crazy stuff she did during Onslaught with Sabretooth trying to rescue good-Beast?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 09 Nov 2018, 14:10

judeno wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 04:29
What about the crazy stuff she did during Onslaught with Sabretooth trying to rescue good-Beast?
I’m pretty sure that was more about shifting mass to make her skin seem armoured and more dense/grow wings
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)