Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Monolith's Power Descriptions

You've been to the Character Glossary of uncannyxmen.net, but still have questions regarding how someone's power works? This is the place to ask.
Peacock1976

Re: Monolith's Power Descriptions

Post by Peacock1976 » 04 Sep 2018, 12:56

Does Nightcrawler have new limits/range on his teleportation ability's? If so, what is he capable of now?
I'm asking because there is a bitchfight on Fb about who is the better teleporter; him or Blink.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Sep 2018, 15:53

Nightcrawler's a faster teleporter, but he has a mass and a distance limit. Carrying more than, say, one or two people really exhausts him. His old range was a few miles, but I think it's longer now. Either way, that time he travelled across the US with Hope, he was nearly dead from exhaustion by the end. And it took him a lot of bamfs to make it.

Blink is a gate-based teleporter. Not technically as fast, but she doesn't have the limits Kurt does. She's teleported to the moon. That alone is a feat that Nightcrawler would never be able to do. And she's been shown using her powers like a doorway, quite often taking entire groups of people on jaunts with her.

Kurt is probably better used in combat situations, but Clarice is more versatile. Plus, she doesn't leave behind a rotten egg smell every time.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Sep 2018, 19:26

EphemeristX wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 15:53
Kurt is probably better used in combat situations, but Clarice is more versatile.
You know what a huge Nightcrawler fan I am, but I would say even that statement is doubtful, because Blink can do things like the Portal video game, where she can open a portal, throw one of her daggers, and have it pop out of a portal behind the enemy where he is totally not expecting it.

Now I would say Kurt is a better hand to hand fighter, and he's a trained swordsman. So if say his teleporting powers were somehow nullified he'd be just fine, whereas Clarice would be hampered quite a bit. Plus Kurt has a whole host of other powers people tend to forget about: his prehensile tail, he can stick to walls much like Spider-man, his skin is so dark he blends into shadows naturally, night-vision, etc.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 05 Sep 2018, 21:11

In most measurements, Blink does exceed Nightcrawler.

In terms of distance, Blink is absolutely the better teleporter. She can jump from Earth to the moon in a single portal since her teens. Nightcrawler's upper most measured limit is 3 miles. He has occasionally demonstrated the ability to travel further, but this has never been fully measured and certainly doesn't reach Clarice's range.

In terms of mass or passengers, Blink also exceeds Nightcrawler. She can maintain stable portals to allow people or objects to continually pass through so long as the portal remains open. Nightcrawler has improved from his early days to be able to teleport at least a half-dozen people at once, but he still falls behind Blink.

As she demonstrated against Holocaust in Astonishing X-Men #4, Blink is also a combat-grade teleporter, like Nightcrawler. She can rapidly displace herself or others, literally in the blink of an eye, and can perform multiple jumps in rapid succession. Her ability to teleport people at range without touching them is also an advantage.

I wouldn't say all this means "Blink can beat Nightcrawler", of course. I'd compare Nightcrawler to Spider-Man -- Spidey isn't always the strongest or the most agile, but he has a experienced and improvisational fighting style that takes full advantage of the powers he does possess. Nightcrawler, too, is very experienced in his own way of fighting, and is quite capable of using teleportation to his benefit in a wide variety of ways.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 07 Sep 2018, 12:34

I know the Shadow King's method of telepathic mind control is to unleash is victims darker sides and condition them so that they willingly serve him and when his link to the nexus was severed in UXM #280, his victims were cut loose, weren't they?

I'm asking because I don't see how Lian Shen (in X-Treme X-Men Annual 2001) was still a servant after all that.
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Sep 2018, 10:20

Dr House wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 12:34
I know the Shadow King's method of telepathic mind control is to unleash is victims darker sides and condition them so that they willingly serve him and when his link to the nexus was severed in UXM #280, his victims were cut loose, weren't they?

I'm asking because I don't see how Lian Shen (in X-Treme X-Men Annual 2001) was still a servant after all that.

I thought Lian was a host, rather than a servant? The others (with the exception of Legion who was fried by Psylocke’s psychic knife), were under his thrall, but weren’t actual hosts of his?
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 10 Sep 2018, 12:45

No, Jacob Reisz was Shadow King's host from the time Lian was corrupted through the midpoint of the Muir Island Saga.

But Dr. House, I don't believe XXM Annual 2001 indicated Lian had remained loyal to Shadow King throughout that entire time. She may have been freed from his control, and then he just sought her out and corrupted her again after Psylocke was no longer caging him.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 28 Sep 2018, 15:57

May have PD's on some District X characters: Porcupine, Filthy Frankie, Shaky, Hanna Levy, Jumbo Carnation, and Arturo Falcone?

P-90

Post by P-90 » 30 Sep 2018, 20:54

Several of the images of the character Override I've seen online make it seem as though he's flying yet no write-up I've read lists flight as a capability of his armour, can he fly or is it super-leaps?

Oh and does Sabretooth currently have an Adamantium skeleton and claws? one recent book says he did but most of the time it doesn't seem as though he does.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 01 Oct 2018, 20:36

@House: None of those characters have abilities of substance to be described. They were mostly minor mutants who demonstrated their power once or twice, leaving very little detail to draw upon in attempting to make a Power Description.

@P-90: Override cannot fly.

Sabretooth's adamantium seems to have been forgotten. It hasn't been mentioned since before X-Men (2nd series) #188. However, no story specifically removed it from him, either.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 02 Oct 2018, 12:08

Monolith wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 20:36
@House: None of those characters have abilities of substance to be described. They were mostly minor mutants who demonstrated their power once or twice, leaving very little detail to draw upon in attempting to make a Power Description.

@P-90: Override cannot fly.

Sabretooth's adamantium seems to have been forgotten. It hasn't been mentioned since before X-Men (2nd series) #188. However, no story specifically removed it from him, either.
Thanks.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 03 Oct 2018, 00:34

Is it possible to get a PD on Spectro? the ghost guy that's Silk's ex (or current) boyfriend.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 06 Oct 2018, 23:50

If it's not too much trouble could I get an explanation on what powers Marlo Chandler has/had?

Could Ridge of Genetix speak?

Monet

Post by Monet » 07 Oct 2018, 02:47

P-90 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 23:50
If it's not too much trouble could I get an explanation on what powers Marlo Chandler has/had?

Could Ridge of Genetix speak?
It's been a while since I read Genetix but I don't recall Ridge speaking. He did share a special bond with teammate, Shift, who seemed to interpret for him. I'll check and get back to you.
"You just put six holes in a Louis Vuitton shirt and you expect me to 'wait'? For what? The 'fashion police?" ― M.

Monet

Post by Monet » 07 Oct 2018, 02:59

Question?! Radius (Jared Corbo) could you list any weaknesses with/for his forcefield. I know that there isn't any recorded penetration of the shield and that he couldn't feel anything through it yet did let light and air through. So would be harmed by light and air based attacks, before he decides to shut them out of the shield to protect himself. Also, when the Zodiac attacked Hull H with an experimental biological form that "eat" through living things including the Epsilons and Sasquatch (II) saved him by pressing him against the ceiling while the bacteria dissolved his body, leaving nothing more than a skeleton could we say that it is possibly for Jared shield to let through bacteria and viruses through his shield potentially allowing him to effected by mutants with Disease Manipulation or Spore Manipulation powers or catching the common cold???
"You just put six holes in a Louis Vuitton shirt and you expect me to 'wait'? For what? The 'fashion police?" ― M.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 07 Oct 2018, 03:31

@P-90:

Spectro was caught in an unknown explosion that effectively killed him. He became a ghost, and an apparently supernatural entity. He no longer required food, sleep, or oxygen to exist. Under normal circumstances, he was visible but intangible. For some reason, he could only became tangible in combat situations, striking out and aggressively making contact with people or objects. He could alter his appearance to some degree, changing between normal clothes and his Spectro garb at will. He could also become selectively detectable, so that only Silk could see and hear him. His intangibility extended to self-levitation, and allowed him to make other people and objects intangible on contact. His spiritual ectoplasm could harmlessly conduct electricity, and he apparently stored electrical energy over time to discharge it as energy blasts when he wished to do so.

Marlo has less had "super-powers" and more "things that happened to her". After dying and being resurrected, she became a favored avatar image of Mistress Death, and even contained an aspect of her power for a time. This mostly translated to Marlo being able to see and hear ghosts. When Death left Marlo's body, she left behind a "defensive spell" allowing Marlo to alter reality by wishing for things out loud. It was an instinctive and subconscious ability, though, designed only to protect Marlo from harm and could not be wielded consciously.

Ridge could talk. Eloquently, when he wasn't in berserker mode.

@Monet:

All of those things are theoretically possible. Since we didn't see them happen, I can't confirm they would happen. Radius, like a lot of force field characters, doesn't make sense under scrutiny. If his force field was constantly on, how did he change clothes, especially skintight spandex? He was seen showering, but what could that do, exactly? Etc.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 07 Oct 2018, 13:24

Thanks Mono.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 22 Oct 2018, 23:17

Can you provide a PD of the Shaper (Darkhawk villain)

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 25 Oct 2018, 12:49

The Shaper was imbued with energy by an unknown piece of metal. The transformation seemed to give him a degree of superhuman strength, and he could exude this new energy from his hands. Shaper could manipulate the structure of inanimate materials through physical contact, feeding his energy into his target in order to shape it. He could construct lifelike sculptures and figures out of raw materials, or bend matter into the shape of weapons like a spear, Morningstar, or projectile bolts. The energy from his body remained in these objects, making them strike with greater force than the original materials alone might suggest. He could simply destroy or break apart objects as well. The Shaper forged a suit of armor for himself, and could use his power to lift and direct the armor, effectively flying while inside it. He was unable to manipulate living things, but the act of feeding his energy into a person was lethal to them, giving him a "death touch" as well.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 30 Oct 2018, 12:35

Hey, are there PD's on Nekra Sinclair, N'astirh and S'ym?

Since Maggott's slugs are his entire digestive system, and considering the tongue is part of the digestive system, how was Maggott capable of speech?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 31 Oct 2018, 13:32

Nekra derives superhuman power from her emotions, especially hate. It's not entirely clear whether she is literally transforming emotional energy into physical power, or if strong emotions produce a bio-chemical reaction similar to adrenaline in her system that augments her strength. She demonstrates superhuman levels of strength, speed, agility, endurance, durability, and recuperative powers. Her strength level varies constantly in relation to her emotional state.

N'astirh was a demon of Limbo skilled at wielding magic. He could cast scrying pools to view distant events, transmogrify living beings into demonic or unnatural states, animate and rearrange molecules structures, fire bolts of eldritch energy and cast containment fields, override the willpower of sentients, and so on. After being infected with the transmode virus, he harnessed it for his own purposes, changing into a powerful techno-organic being with bio-mechanical regenerative powers and the ability to infect others with the transmode virus.

S'ym was an immensely powerful physical demon, possessing great strength, endurance, and durability. His strength, combined with the nature of magic to defy science, allowing him to snap off Wolverine's Adamanium claws like toothpicks. S'ym was infected with the transmode virus by the Magus, and managed to exert a dominant influence over it in his system. This allowed him to become an independent techno-organic being similar to the Phalanx, immune to many kinds of magic due to his mixed nature of science and magic. He was hyper-regenerative, able to restore himself to full size even after being reduced to pieces. S'ym could also infect other beings with the transmode virus to drain their life energy or take control of them as his slaves.

Cable

Post by Cable » 31 Oct 2018, 14:12

Dr House wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:35

Since Maggott's slugs are his entire digestive system, and considering the tongue is part of the digestive system, how was Maggott capable of speech?
He still has a complete musculoskeletal system, of which the tongue is also part. The tongue is made of muscle much different than that of the other digestive organs (allowing for your conscious movement of it unlike the automatic passing of food through your intestines). True it is used for digestion, but it also has other functions like aiding in vocalization but also as one of your primary sense organs. Taste is of course not actually necessary for digestion and I don't know if it has been addressed but it would be interesting to know whether Maggott can still taste things.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 31 Oct 2018, 14:40

Thanks to Monolith and Cable!

Psirus

Post by Psirus » 16 Nov 2018, 05:29

Could you possible do a power description on Jovana Swain, the nuhuman?

Thank you.

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 23 Nov 2018, 15:44

Is there a PD on the Magus (Warlock's evil self)?