Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Eternals Post-Gaiman

If you have a hankerin' to ask questions about the Avengers, Spider-Man or any other Marvel title, feel free to post any questions here.
AntiBody

Eternals Post-Gaiman

Post by AntiBody » 17 Jun 2017, 22:19

I just finished reading Gaiman's Eternals and really liked it! Thinking about checking out earlier stories about them, but wanted to ask y'all - what, if anything, happened with these folks after this story? Have they appeared anywhere else as a group? As individuals? I know the Dreaming Celestial has appeared in Gillen's X-Men run (Fraction's too?) and I'm mildly curious about it. I'd love to hear about any follow-ups and/or fallout from this.
he / him

Anna Raven

Re: Eternals Post-Gaiman

Post by Anna Raven » 17 Jun 2017, 22:38

I know Ajak was on Amadeus Cho's "Godsquad" during Secret Invasion, and The Forgotten One aka Gilgamesh was seen in the most recent Hercules series.
Defenders Draft: Hulk | Scarlet Witch |Colossus | Valkyrie | She-Hulk | Iron Fist |
The Villain: Xemnu

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 17 Jun 2017, 22:41

After both the 3rd and 4th volumes of Eternals? They've appeared very little, with almost no follow-up. An issue of (Red) Hulk, Thor: The Deviants Saga limited, Sersi in the Chaos War event, last two issues of New Warriors (5th series), a cameo in All-New Invaders, etc.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 18 Jun 2017, 22:39

I kind of thought so. Thanks folks! Thinking of starting Chaos War soon, oddly enough.
he / him

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 15 Sep 2021, 20:41

I know Eternals and their history has changed, and their book has taken on Hickman's HoX format, but what exactly is the Machine?
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 15 Sep 2021, 21:21

The Earth's maintenance and operating system forged by Celestial technology, insofar as it pertains to the Celestials' designs for the planet. It provides utility support for the Eternals in their role as protectors of the Earth from the proliferation of Deviants.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Dr House

Post by Dr House » 15 Oct 2021, 20:31

Ok, so lemme see if I got this straight (by all means, correct me when I'm wrong):

The retcon is now that the Machine is AI and it creates (and resurrects) Eternals since apparently they can't be naturally born. A'Lars was never on a self-imposed exile to Titan, but went there to prove natural Eternal births. A'Lars and Sui-San were able to mate due to the Quantum-Bands being their wedding rings, but later discarded them for some reason. Here are my questions:

1.) The Quantum-Bands have reality-altering potential? And why would Eon allow them for any purpose other than to empower and symbolize his appointed champion as Protector of the Universe? Also, the QB's appearance at Mentor's wedding seems to occur after they were found on the Eternals' Uranian colony, which doesn't make sense since those Eternals eventually gave them to the Crusader.

2.) What's the hierarchy now for Eternals? The Earth Eternals appear to have tiers and the Machine doesn't seem to consider Titanian or Uranian Eternals to be true Eternals.
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 15 Oct 2021, 22:08

1) The role of the Quantum Bands in the process is unclear. There's no explicit statement of why Eternals couldn't breed and what was done to overcome this inhibition. Mentor asked Kronos for his power, the power of the Firmament. Kronos provided them with the bands, but it's not clear if the bands themselves did something, or merely acted as conduits for the Firmament power. Known history of the Quantum Bands suggests they are substantially older than the Eternals of Earth.

To my knowledge, it has never been specified when or how the Uranians received the Quantum Bands.

2) Previous stories indicated that the Eternals of Earth were a more powerful, cosmic branch of the species, irradiated and enhanced by Kronos's final experiment after the exiles left for Uranus and the first Titan colonies. It no longer seems as if Kronos's experiment had any effect on the species.

The populations of Uranus and Titan have always been curiously large. The original tales from What If? about Uranos's exile showed he had less than twenty followers that were ultimately spread across the two colonies. Modern Titan and the Uranus of Marvel Boy's era both seemed to be far more populated than that.

We've now clarified that the original colonists of Titan all wound up back in the Machine, including Uranos, after the Titan civil war which Sui-San survived. The second Titan colony, founded by Mentor and Sui-San, was therefore founded by Eternals genetics biotechnology with clones, biological constructs, and alien colonists arriving over the course of Mentor's experiments. This makes sense, as characters like Genis's mother Elysius were already acknowledged as being "artificially" created in some way. Outside of Mentor's immediate family, the population of Titan may be Eternal-like, but they are not part of the Machine.

Uranus has yet to receive a greater explanation. They, too, may have reproduced through the propagation of genetics experiments. Several named "Eternals" from the Marvel Boy stories of Uranus were not identified in the big 100 list in Eternals #1. It's unclear at this point whether Uranos's original followers were among those killed by the native Uranians as described in Agents of Atlas, or if they had died and returned to the Great Machine prior to that.