Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Jake Fury, Please

If you have a hankerin' to ask questions about the Avengers, Spider-Man or any other Marvel title, feel free to post any questions here.
Milleniumcyke

Jake Fury, Please

Post by Milleniumcyke » 01 Aug 2020, 00:47

OK, so I'm rereading my Defenders issues and I just finished up the Scorpio storyline. The powerful suicide at the end got me wondering more about Jake Fury. I'm reading a ton of different sources all saying different things about Jake, or questioning what is true or not, or just plain not updated. If anyone out there knows Jake's storyline well, please let me know. The inconsistencies I've read are:
  • The first Scorpio was not Jake
    The first Scorpio was Jake, but he was reformed after dying from the Zodiac Key
    All appearances of Jake before Secret Warriors were an LMD
    The LMDs of Jake only started appearing after his suicide in Defenders #50
Please help if you can! Thanks.
Done bun can't be undone
~Stephen King Insomnia

Monolith

Re: Jake Fury, Please

Post by Monolith » 01 Aug 2020, 01:52

Yes. All of those things were true at some time.

- Jake Fury was a pre-existing character from the Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos war comics.
- Scorpio first appeared in Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, but apparently died at the end. He wasn't identified, but clues suggested he was a man named Count Julio Scarlotti.
- Scorpio re-appeared later on in #5, claiming the Zodiac Key saved his life after his earlier appearance. In the ending, Nick saw his face and was surprised, but we didn't see it. Scorpio apparently died again.
- After that series ended with #15, Scorpio appeared with the full Zodiac in Avengers #72. However, it turns out this Scorpio was Nick Fury in disguise. He reveals, retroactively, that Scorpio had been his brother Jake and is now dead.
- Zodiac reappears several times, having recruited a new Scorpio named Jacques LaPoint.
- The Defenders arc happens. Jake Fury is cut off from the Zodiac Cartel and tries to build his own cartel of LMDs. At this point, he claims the Scorpio from S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 was not him, and brushes past how he survived after #5. He commits suicide.

- Jake Fury fully returns in West Coast Avengers (2nd series) #26-28. Here he details that he was always the Scorpio ever since S.H.I.E.L.D. #1. The Zodiac Key brought him back to life each time, but previously clouded his memories because he couldn't deal with the shock of his own death psychologically. After one of his three deaths, the Key restored him as an LMD instead of a human, but it's not entirely clear which time. The LMD Zodiac all die when they travel to the Key's home dimension, where the unique astrological energy that powers them doesn't exist.

- Secret Warriors introduces the Great Wheel of the Zodiac, led by Leonardo da Vinci, back in the 1960's. Nick and Jake Fury were members of the Wheel and they (plus a third member) were exposed to self-replicating Renaissance tech from the corpse of the original LMD, created by da Vinci to hide his absence and die as he was historically recorded to while the real da Vinci journeyed into the future (make sense?). The Leonardo LMD's tech touched the Wheel members and created new LMDs of each of them. They were each mentally unstable to some degree, and it was indicated that Jake's LMD had encountered the Zodiac Key and been Scorpio all along. No indication was given about what the REAL Jake Fury had been up to the entire history of the Marvel Universe up until that point.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Milleniumcyke

Re: Jake Fury, Please

Post by Milleniumcyke » 02 Aug 2020, 00:22

Monolith, thank you for still being around. You are the man!
Done bun can't be undone
~Stephen King Insomnia