Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

The many deaths of Tony Stark

If you have a hankerin' to ask questions about the Avengers, Spider-Man or any other Marvel title, feel free to post any questions here.
Omnicon

The many deaths of Tony Stark

Post by Omnicon » 05 Mar 2020, 19:59

Sorry to bother you, but I completely lost track of what has happened to Tony in the last few years, especially his death, reborn, and his current „death“?

In Avengers, Tony is somewhere in the Stone Age.
In Captain Carol, he is currently in Singularity.
In Iron Man, he is death because of something. I don’t read Slott‘s run.

How many times has Tony been dead now? Was he even the „original“ Tony in the last years? Since his rebirth after Onslaught I mean.

Tony must have been in one cloned body so far, and Rhodey is in his second cloned body already?

Blackcyclops

Re: The many deaths of Tony Stark

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Mar 2020, 20:14

Omnicon wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 19:59
Sorry to bother you, but I completely lost track of what has happened to Tony in the last few years, especially his death, reborn, and his current „death“?

In Avengers, Tony is somewhere in the Stone Age.
In Captain Carol, he is currently in Singularity.
In Iron Man, he is death because of something. I don’t read Slott‘s run.

How many times has Tony been dead now? Was he even the „original“ Tony in the last years? Since his rebirth after Onslaught I mean.

Tony must have been in one cloned body so far, and Rhodey is in his second cloned body already?
Okay spoilers
Spoiler: show
Tony was only in the Stone Age for a short period of time in the real world relative to his time there.
I’m not sure when the current Captain Marvel story takes place but Slott’s run is currently the “most recent”.
Well Stark died in Infinity Gauntlet along with just about everybody.
Stark then “died” in the Crossing and was replaced by Alt-world Teen Stark.
Then Teen Stark “died” with everyone else during Onslaught and was brought back as “normal” during Heroes Return.
Stark had his mind rebooted during Dark Reign, losing alot of his memories from about the end of Extremis through Dark Reign storyline. So kind of a death I guess...
He then died again at the end of Time Runs Out during the Final Incursion along with everyone else.

Stark then actually did die at the hands of Captain Marvel during Civil War II. And what was reborn is effectively an artificial construct with all of Stark’s memories.

This is the current Tony Stark.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 05 Mar 2020, 20:51

Wow, that’s very detailed. Thanks a lot!

I got lost right then during that mind rebooting.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Mar 2020, 21:36

Omnicon wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 20:51
Wow, that’s very detailed. Thanks a lot!

I got lost right then during that mind rebooting.
Effectively, not counting “everybody dies scenarios”...Tony has died twice. With the first death being essentially reset by Franklin Richards and the second one technically sticking since the current Tony is Tony 2.0.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 05 Mar 2020, 23:37

Tony also faked his death on multiple occasions, such as "killing off" the original Iron Man in the #230 during the Armor Wars (back when everybody believed they were two different people) and in #284, when he publicly faked his death to go into suspended animation while his team of doctors/scientists built him an artificial nervous system to replace the one that failed him.

Tony first re-wrote his biology to be superhuman using Extremis. This gave him various cognitive enhancements and machine telepathy, as well as an improved interface with the armor. This was Registration-era Tony.

In Secret Invasion, the Skrulls targeted Stark and StarkTech with an alien virus that crashed his Extremis physiology. During Dark Reign, Tony wiped his entire brain, both his memories and the functional operating system of the human body. He then REBUILT that using an arc reactor implant in his chest. Tony's body, his brain, his biology, now relied upon the arc reactor's charge to function. His Extremis powers like machine telepathy were gone, but his enhanced biology and super-intelligence remained. His brain worked, but his mind was still gone, so his friends uploaded a back-up copy of Tony's mind made roughly around the time he first got Extremis.

Cut to CWII. Tony was severely beaten by Captain Marvel. He was technically still alive, only due to his unique biology. While his biology kept him alive, it also kept anyone from understanding his body enough to treat him. There was nothing medicine could identify as wrong with his body, yet he wouldn't wake up.

Somehow, Stark's system rebooted itself. It seems as if his biology spontaneously rewrote itself, both to remove the foreign or modified elements he had added, and to restore him to full health. It was incredibly vague about how or why this happened, whether some third party intervened to kickstart the process or if it automatically kicked in over time. It is now retroactively being treated as a conscious action by Tony, re-engineering his biology cell by cell to restore it to functionality. So much so that a Stark patent label can be found on individual cells in his body. But again, who initiated this process and when seems vague. Tony is treating himself like the Ship of Theseus, claiming his mind is a copy and his biology is artificial, but he's not in a cloned body or anything -- he inhabits the original physical mass of Tony Stark, transmuted or rearranged from a near-dead Extremis-y Stark to an alive, non-Extremis-y Stark. And he was always alive, but now he's saying the real Tony Stark "died" in CWII.

Furthermore, the process also worked on Rhodey? Rhodey didn't have Tony's Extremis biology. The options are (1) Tony Stark can resurrect anybody with this biology reboot process, (2) Tony Stark can resurrect anybody who wore Iron Man armor (for a period of time?) or (3) Tony Stark possibly made modifications to Rhodey's body without his knowledge or consent. If (3), this likely occurred when Rhodey got a cloned body of his own during Dark Reign.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 06 Mar 2020, 10:10

Phhhh sir, you work in genetics?

Thanks very much to you too.