Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marvel Team-Up #57, Ms. Marvel #8, Marvel Team-Up #62, Ms. Marvel #10-12 and New Mutants #6

If you have a hankerin' to ask questions about the Avengers, Spider-Man or any other Marvel title, feel free to post any questions here.
nathanadler

Marvel Team-Up #57, Ms. Marvel #8, Marvel Team-Up #62, Ms. Marvel #10-12 and New Mutants #6

Post by nathanadler » 22 Oct 2019, 10:04

In Marvel Team-Up #57 (May 1977) we're first introduced to the Cavourite (contained in the clay statuette Silver Samurai had set out to steal), then 3 months later in Ms. Marvel #8 (August 1977) Grotesk resurfaces to steal a second Cavourite Crystal from ?NASA?, getting blasted into another dimension as a result of his efforts to tamper with it.

Chris Claremont then returns to the plot from MTU #57 in Marvel Team-Up #62 (October 1977), where Super-Skrull breaks into the cabin of antique dealer for AIM, Josiah Rubin, and steals the clay figurine containing previously shown to contain the first introduced Cavourite Crystal, leading to Ms. Marvel getting it. This crystal was refined and perfect, the second crystal in NASA's possession was cruder, Ms. Marvel noting this difference in MTU #62 when the original is in her possession after it has caused the Skrull to be warped away.

In Ms. Marvel #10 (also October 1977), NASA appears back in possession of the Cavourite Crystal, as AIM is shown preparing to assault Skylab to steal it when Carol's fight with the Elementals in Ms. Marvel #12 (December 1977) releases energies that triggers the crystal in the shuttle to almost open up a hole in reality as was shown doing with Grotesk and Super-Skrull respectively, killing Salia Petrie in the process.

I’m assuming the crystal back in NASA's possession by Ms. Marvel #10 was the same one Grotesk had earlier stolen and Ms. Marvel had retrieved after his disappearance. If so, what did Carol do with the one from the clay statuette she managed to procure from Super-Skrull, and how did AIM end up in subsequent possession of it what with it later revealed to be installed in their Black Mesa facility in Colorado? While AIM were shown to be attempting to steal the second one Carol returned to NASA (in Ms. Marvel #10), we know Viper and Silver Samurai were unsuccessful in their MTU effort to steal the first introduced version (in the clay statuette), and AIM's antique dealer, Rubin, had it stolen from him by Super-Skrull before he got a chance to smuggle it to his employers. So did Carol take this version to NASA as she had done with the second one, and AIM had stolen it when NASA was distracted with the destruction of Skylab? This still beggars the question of where they were holding the first one if Carol handed it over to them, since it would appear to not be similarly affected by the Ruby Scarab energies released by the Elementals in Ms. Marvel #12!?

Or was the version AIM was shown in possession of, and Viper was attempting to steal, in New Mutants #6, a third fragment of the Crystal and the location of the original, purer, crystal is still a mystery?

Nu-D

Re: Marvel Team-Up #57, Ms. Marvel #8, Marvel Team-Up #62, Ms. Marvel #10-12 and New Mutants #6

Post by Nu-D » 29 Nov 2019, 14:24

Nathan, where do you have access to all of these silver/bronze age stories? You’re really steeped in some obscure stuff. I’m impressed, and wish i could engage. But really it’s way outside of my wheelhouse, and probably most everyone else around here too (except Monolith, who we all know knows more than God).

When I was a kid reading X-Men in the mid- to late-eighties, these books just weren’t available. It was also really hard to figure out what stories you might be missing. Claremont in particular would have characters move back and forth between titles without really giving the reader a clue. I had no way to know that Sabertooth, for example, had been in Iron Fist before he was in X-Men, or that Karma debuted in FF.

If you were a kid on a budget buying books from a spinner rack next to the Bonkers candy, you just had to pick a title and stick with it going forward and figure you’d sort it all out over time. The occasional trip to the city where back issues were available meant you could fill in your collection of Uncanny, but you wouldn’t think to dig up long-cancelled titles like MTU or Marvel Fanfare.

So I’m impressed at your in-depth knowledge of the obscure back catalogue. But I think most of us here really can’t engage it very well. Monolith probably has the deepest and broadest knowledge of the obscure stuff you’re into. My knowledge is pretty narrowly limited to the X-Titles themselves from 1975-1991. I don’t know that many or any of us can venture out into the broader MU that you keep asking about.
He/him/his

Lavettye

Re: Marvel Team-Up #57, Ms. Marvel #8, Marvel Team-Up #62, Ms. Marvel #10-12 and New Mutants #6

Post by Lavettye » 29 Nov 2019, 21:18

Minor correction: Karma debuted in Marvel Team-Up (1st series) #100, but the story involved Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four. (and the issue also has a back-up story of Storm and Black Panther meeting when they were still teenagers)

As for not knowing in which issues certain characters appeared, I'd like to suggest the Marvel Chronology Project. I've found it to be very helpful doing research in the past:
http://www.chronologyproject.com/

As for the initial question, I knew about those Ms. Marvel and Marvel Team-Up stories referecing each other, but I never took special interest in that crystal, as I wrote it off as some plot device to give those characters a reason to interact and fight over something. It's the same as with many other threads that Nathan started about some obscure plot from back in the day. He sums up the plot perfectly and draws some connections, only to then raise questions that can't be answered on a factual level. It is an abandoned plot, the mysteries around those crystal fragments have never been further addressed on-panel.
[PL_2.0]