Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Discovery of Black Bolt's Power

If you have a hankerin' to ask questions about the Avengers, Spider-Man or any other Marvel title, feel free to post any questions here.
Gomurr the Ancient

Discovery of Black Bolt's Power

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 22 Jul 2017, 19:28

So, I've read next to nothing dealing with Inhumans, and have only general knowledge of how things work in their corner of the universe. But chatter about the upcoming Inhumans show got me thinking about Black Bolt, and raised some questions about how he discovered his powers.

Had it ever been revealed how, after Black Bolt went through terrigenesis, he first discovered the powers with which it had imbued him? Do they have tests they can run after the process to say, 'Hey, Prince Black Bolt, don't talk - it looks like your voice blows things up'? Is there any kind of ritual behavior following one's emergence from the terrigenesis chamber that would have caused Black Bolt to remain silent until after such testing? Does terrigenesis somehow impart knowledge of one's powers as part of the transformation, so that Black Bolt would have known if he spoke he would have blown everything up? Or did a ton of people die when Black Bolt emerged from the chamber, tried to speak, and discovered his powers?
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

Monolith

Re: Discovery of Black Bolt's Power

Post by Monolith » 22 Jul 2017, 19:41

The trick with the current generation of the royal family is that they were all exposed to Terrigenesis in utero, so Black Bolt was actually born with his powers and his deadly voice. He demonstrated his ability to manipulate electrons under laboratory testing as an infant. But when he first cried out, it destroyed the entire lab he was in at the time. Agon then began the process of training his son virtually from birth to remain silent at all times.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 22 Jul 2017, 20:13

Yikes.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » 04 Apr 2019, 21:40

With my RPG group, we came up with a hidden city similar to Attilan, and a lawyer-friendly version of the Inhumans. Here's their procedure:

The individuals are exposed to "Moonstone Energies" at around 13-14 years of age. Essentially their equivalent of a bar mitzvah/quinceneara (is that spelled right?) This can be a strain to their bodies, so they're sedated and brought to a hospital/safe room. The kids are monitored over the next 72 hours to get an idea of how they've "sparked".

Once a rough idea of what they can do (super-speed/cryokinesis/plasticity/whatever), they're assigned a "Big Brother/Sister" with similar powers, to act as their instructor/mentor, a la Juan Ramirez.
Many people who had got to know Rincewind had come to treat him as a sort of two-legged miner's canary, and tended to assume that if Rincewind was still upright and not actually running then some hope remained.