unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

The Serpent

If you have a hankerin' to ask questions about the Avengers, Spider-Man or any other Marvel title, feel free to post any questions here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3140
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

The Serpent

Post by Gibbering Fool » 06 Jan 2018, 12:52

I'm not the biggest Thor reader but I'm really enjoying the Mighty Thor. I'm curious how Cul Borson, went from being the world ending big bad the Serpent in Fear Itself to chumming it up with Odin in the The Mighty Thor.

User avatar
Monolith
Posts: 5672
Joined: 20 Feb 2007, 17:29

Re: The Serpent

Post by Monolith » 06 Jan 2018, 18:49

Odin's kinda a douche.

Okay, so Odin had been dead since...2002? Fighting Surtur. When JMS relaunched Thor after Ragnarok, all Asgardians could be reincarnated to life, but Odin chose to remain in his personal afterlife so to pass on the reins of leadership to Thor.

When the Serpent resurfaced in Fear Itself, however, Odin re-emerged to claim control of Asgard. And when the Serpent fell, Odin brought his brother into the dimensional space where Asgard once resided before Thor brought it to Earth, exiling them from the realms of men.

In Original Sin, Odin and Cul were shown to be keeping each other company in the after-realm until Angela and the 10th Realm were rediscovered, bringing Odin back to "life" and Cul coming with him.

Odin is an old-school arrogant bastard with little taste for the ruling All-Mother and Congress of Realms set up in his absence. He obstinately refused to validate the congress, and his brother Cul stood with him. When Freyja fell into a death-like coma thanks to Loki's "treachery" (Long story), Odin handed over the rule of Asgard to Cul as his regent while he grieved for his wife. They share many of the same opinions about the Congress of Realms, the upstart female Thor, etc.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Cosmos666
Posts: 126
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 01:59

Re: The Serpent

Post by Cosmos666 » 06 Jan 2018, 20:26

I have a question: what happened with Frigga?

User avatar
Monolith
Posts: 5672
Joined: 20 Feb 2007, 17:29

Re: The Serpent

Post by Monolith » 06 Jan 2018, 20:52

Loki seemingly sided with Malekith's Dark Congress of Realms by poisoning Freyja, leaving her in a death-like coma.

Secretly, however, Loki did this to save her life, for he knew Malekith intended to kill her otherwise. This act left Freyja alive and allowed Loki to infiltrate the Dark Congress.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 4309
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: The Serpent

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Jan 2018, 19:58

I never read Thor much before Aaron took over, but was Odin always this terrible? I get he's old and probably has some poor opinions towards women, but it feels more like someone was needed to be the "NOT MY THOR"
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

User avatar
Monolith
Posts: 5672
Joined: 20 Feb 2007, 17:29

Re: The Serpent

Post by Monolith » 07 Jan 2018, 20:44

ODIN.

WAS.

ALWAYS.

TERRIBLE.

He didn't like his son's mortal girlfriend so he wiped her memory, tortured her, then wiped her memory again.

He repeatedly cheats on his wife, the Goddess of Marriage.

He got in a fight with Thor so he picked a mortal named Red Norvell, gave him powers and declared him the new Thor, and refused to let anyone else refer to Thor by his name in Odin's presence.

He engineered several fake Ragnaroks, complete with deaths and horrible fates, in order to "trick" reality into thinking the real Ragnarok already happened.

His parenting towards Loki is often suspect.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Cosmos666
Posts: 126
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 01:59

Re: The Serpent

Post by Cosmos666 » 07 Jan 2018, 22:40

Monolith wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 20:52
Loki seemingly sided with Malekith's Dark Congress of Realms by poisoning Freyja, leaving her in a death-like coma.

Secretly, however, Loki did this to save her life, for he knew Malekith intended to kill her otherwise. This act left Freyja alive and allowed Loki to infiltrate the Dark Congress.
I was puzzled by your answer until I realized how my question was ambiguous. When I asked what happened to Frigga I meant what happened to the character Frigga and why is Odin's wife Freyja now? Was Frigga retconned into Freyja?

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 16600
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: The Serpent

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Jan 2018, 23:33

That’s the same person...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3457
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Serpent

Post by Cable » 07 Jan 2018, 23:36

Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 4309
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: The Serpent

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Jan 2018, 09:19

Monolith wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 20:44
ODIN.

WAS.

ALWAYS.

TERRIBLE.

He didn't like his son's mortal girlfriend so he wiped her memory, tortured her, then wiped her memory again.

He repeatedly cheats on his wife, the Goddess of Marriage.

He got in a fight with Thor so he picked a mortal named Red Norvell, gave him powers and declared him the new Thor, and refused to let anyone else refer to Thor by his name in Odin's presence.

He engineered several fake Ragnaroks, complete with deaths and horrible fates, in order to "trick" reality into thinking the real Ragnarok already happened.

His parenting towards Loki is often suspect.
I recant my previous statement but leave it up for historical purposes. Also, I can't delete anymore.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

Cosmos666
Posts: 126
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 01:59

Re: The Serpent

Post by Cosmos666 » 08 Jan 2018, 15:28

Cable wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 23:36
This was discussed before here
That's weird. I was sure that Marvel's Odin's wife was named Frigga. Oh, well...

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3478
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: The Serpent

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Jan 2018, 15:37

Cosmos666 wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 15:28
Cable wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 23:36
This was discussed before here
That's weird. I was sure that Marvel's Odin's wife was named Frigga. Oh, well...
Possibly because they use Frigga as the name in the MCU for Renee Russo's character.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

User avatar
Monolith
Posts: 5672
Joined: 20 Feb 2007, 17:29

Re: The Serpent

Post by Monolith » 08 Jan 2018, 15:47

Odin's wife was called "Frigga" up until the end of Fear Itself. "Frigga" contained elements of the Norse goddesses Frigg and Freya mixed together into a single Marvel character. Beginning with the reign of the All-Mother post-FI, the character formerly known as "Frigga" has been exclusively referred to as "Freyja" instead.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 16600
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: The Serpent

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Jan 2018, 15:51

Yeah so a case of non-synergy? Lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cosmos666
Posts: 126
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 01:59

Re: The Serpent

Post by Cosmos666 » 09 Jan 2018, 00:14

Monolith wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 15:47
Odin's wife was called "Frigga" up until the end of Fear Itself. "Frigga" contained elements of the Norse goddesses Frigg and Freya mixed together into a single Marvel character. Beginning with the reign of the All-Mother post-FI, the character formerly known as "Frigga" has been exclusively referred to as "Freyja" instead.
That's what I was wondering on why the name changed. Thanks for the answer.

Post Reply