Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

New Mutants #42 and the Guthries

This place is for any factual questions on the X-Titles or their characters. You want to know who the mystery person in some issue was or how a certain storyline ended - ask here.
nathanadler

New Mutants #42 and the Guthries

Post by nathanadler » 13 Jan 2019, 02:10

When Sam Guthrie returned home he mentioned his family land was "paid for" in part by blood.

Given Sam not only came from Harlan County, but was the son of a coal miner, this would seem to be a reference to Sam's father having been involved in the Brookside Strike against the Eastover Coal Company in Harlan County in 1973!

There was a documentary film a few years later that emphasised the connections and parallels between it and the Harlan County War in the 1930s, and it was a huge deal when it came out. Perhaps Sam's father was even killed in the strikes.

Or perhaps Claremont was instead referring to the Civil War!? That is, because Kentucky was a border state with mixed allegiances then, it might have been a good idea for Sam to be proud that his family was on the Southern side fighting for a hopeless cause.

Blackcyclops

Re: New Mutants #42 and the Guthries

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Jan 2019, 04:18

I can only speculate...but he probably meant that they worked and died on/for that land.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger