Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

The time displaced original X-Men

This place is for any factual questions on the X-Titles or their characters. You want to know who the mystery person in some issue was or how a certain storyline ended - ask here.
Jesse James II

The time displaced original X-Men

Post by Jesse James II » 04 Jun 2019, 23:51

Hey,

I am one of those people that gladly saw the time-displaced X-Men go back in time. There is one thing bothering me regarding the OG going back to their original timeline. Did they really go to the 616 timeline back to where they came from, or did they end up in an alternate timeline? Or were they from a different timeline from the start? I know it was heavily suggested in Bendis' run that they were from the original timeline.

I understood that when they were sent back, theie memories were wiped clean so that they would no longer remeber everything they went through and had learned during their visit in the present.
So that would mean that Teen Jean and Teen Hank would have forgotten about their power developments, so that when they return to their proper place in the timestream, Jean would suddenly display telepathy, before having those psychic blocks removed by Xavier. Neither would she remember afterwards to use her TP and TK in such an imaginative manner as Teen Jean could throughout the whole Bendis run. So Adult Jean would not have have remembered this up until now. If the original X-Teens were indeed sent back to the their original timeline, Adult Jean should know by now that she is also perform these feats, right? Shouldn't this also be the case for Adult Hank. Wouldn't he be able to use the spells he has learned from when his younger self was in the 616 present? I know that their past memories were wiped out, but their future selves know what happened. I think at a certain point Adult Jean and Adult Hank would realize... "that's right... I can do that too!".

Monolith

Re: The time displaced original X-Men

Post by Monolith » 05 Jun 2019, 00:11

Yes, the finale of Extermination #5 made it very clear that the O5 went back in time and became the younger selves of the 616 original X-Men. Young Jean used a time-delayed memory wipe that caused them all to remember their past experiences (as adults) minutes after the O5 departed and returned to the past.

So yes, Adult Beast should technically remember the sorcery learned by his younger self.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Jesse James II

Re: The time displaced original X-Men

Post by Jesse James II » 05 Jun 2019, 19:53

Thanks Mono.