Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Cable time tech

This place is for any factual questions on the X-Titles or their characters. You want to know who the mystery person in some issue was or how a certain storyline ended - ask here.
LimboMaster

Cable time tech

Post by LimboMaster » 08 Aug 2017, 23:27

Has it ever been explained where Cable's future time tech and/or Graymalkin space station came from? I want to say it was some sort of celestial tech, but I don't recall any celestial tech having time travel technology. I might be confusing the later merge of Professor with Ship into Prosh so maybe it wasn't originally celestial.

Monolith

Re: Cable time tech

Post by Monolith » 09 Aug 2017, 01:30

Cable's original time tech was the TiNex (Time Displacement Nexus) located in Niagara Falls in his future. Somehow, this was incorporated into Greymalkin as his TDC (Time Displacement Core). References to this are incongruous or incomplete, because discussions of the TiNex missions tend to indicate the Clan Chosen essentially charged into the Niagara Falls facility, tossed Cable into the time machine, and fled. This is the description of the first mission AND essentially how the modern mission went in Cable #1-3. So how he got Greymalkin back in time, much less with its own time machine, seems to be left unsolved.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 09 Aug 2017, 22:59

Thanks Mono. So, do we know if this is the same tech as his 'Professor' from Graymalkin?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 10 Aug 2017, 01:28

If it is, it's only indirectly.

The Professor was originally the sentient A.I. of a Celestial Ship, but the ship itself was destroyed in the present. Only the A.I. matrix itself of Ship was brought into the future and bonded to Nathan as Professor. So he did not receive any tech (including his time travel tech) directly from the Professor.

On the other hand, most of the advancements of Cable's era came from Apocalypse, who DID get virtually everything from the Celestials. Now, human innovation may have been responsible for the TiNex or TDC, but at the very least it was based on a foundation of Celestial-derived technology in the civilization built by Apocalypse. So both the Professor and the time travel tech (regardless of its exact creator) DID both originate from Celestial technology, in SOME way.

It's also worth noting that Cable has the latent power to travel through space and time purely under his own power. It's a mutant ability he's never fully developed the power to use without mechanical relays. This was addressed during Legion Quest and a few other occasions. So whenever Cable and the Professor are Bodysliding or time traveling together, it isn't even necessarily a completely independent transporter doing the work -- the Professor is mechanically accessing and activating a portion of Cable's mutant power he doesn't normally use.

"But then why does he need the TDC?", you ask? Uh...............................................
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde