Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Avengers Character Entry Order

Spotted an Error? Want to tell us how great (and modest) we are? Want to help out on the site? Give us your Feedback!
Monolith

Avengers Character Entry Order

Post by Monolith » 20 Jul 2018, 15:15

Below is a list of all the Spotlights in the order in which they were released for the MightyAvengers.net site. Because we're treating MightyA as separate from UXN, the existing uncannyxmen.net Spotlights are not reflected here yet. They will "debut" on MightyA once Spotlight Updates are made for them, which is one of our main priorities at this time!

Avengers Spotlight Order

Launch Event
1) Vision - April 02, 2018
2) Cable - April 09, 2018
3) Wonder Man - April 16, 2018
4) Havok - April 23, 2018
5) Nebula - April 26, 2018
6) Kang - April 30, 2018
7) Quicksilver - May 08, 2018
8) Deadpool - May 18, 2018
9) Captain Marvel VI - May 26, 2018

10) Grim Reaper - June 22, 2018
11) Quasar - July 20, 2018
12) Firebird - August 24, 2018

X-AVENGERS SPOTLIGHT UPDATE WEEK
13) Firestar - August 27, 2018
14) Sunspot - August 28, 2018
15) Sunfire - August 29, 2018
16) Cannonball - August 30, 2018
17) Rogue - August 31, 2018

18) Deathcry - September 14, 2018
19) Pod/ Enigma - October 18, 2018
20) Lucifer - November 01, 2018
21) Chthon - November 26, 2018

22) Typhoid Mary - February 07, 2019

CAPTAIN MARVEL MONTH
23) Ronan the Accuser - March 05, 2019
24) Captain Marvel I - March 13, 2019
25) Marvel Boy VII - March 26, 2019

26) Julia Carpenter - April 25, 2019
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

WorldWideWade

Re: Avengers Character Entry Order

Post by WorldWideWade » 14 Jan 2019, 17:52

I'm slightly confused. Were Lucifer and Chthon duel releases for Uncanny and Mighty? It seemed they were enemies of both teams and so it made sense. However, where do they fit into the official release list? Would Lucifer be considered an official release for Avengers? If not why is his profile on Mighty with no link to a Bio page?

Alternatively it seems Chthon was more of a Mighty release but had enough cross-over with X-men to warrant his bio on the X-men site. However, he wasn't counted in the spotlight entry order.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 31 Jan 2019, 16:31

Yes, that's been the subject of no small amount of debate among the contributors. Ultimately, however, you should be seeing Lucifer on both sites and Chthon on mightyavengers.net only.

We're still trying to define exactly what MightyA will be for us. While the X-Men are a largely self-contained universe in Marvel Comics, the Avengers touch every corner of it. An all-inclusive Avengers site would cover almost literally everything ever done by Marvel. Also, for those who don't remember this far back, UXN had a more limited scope back in the day. Our Spotlights were originally for X-Men members only. Only when we did Character Polls did we throw in more obscure options like X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, or Generation X members. Then we went on long enough that we started filling in the gaps of those teams as well, but we limited ourselves to characters with large enough histories to warrant a Spotlight, often drawing a line at characters who hadn't ever starred in an ongoing series. Then we added Profiles, and basically any character in the X-Verse is fair game these days.

All that is a lead-in to discussing Lucifer. He is a character we would naturally do for UXN these days, but in earlier years he probably wouldn't have scored a BOTBG and certainly not a Spotlight. On the flipside, he's very obscure when it comes to the Avengers. It was Dominus who fought the West Coast Avengers -- Lucifer is only a one-time foe of Iron Man, and Captain America & the Falcon. Applying the current UXN standards to MightyA would include Lucifer on both sites, but if we're trying to maintain a narrower focus on MightyA to avoid getting overwhelmed, it's not yet his time for that site. Still, we're making a point of not releasing UXN articles on MightyA until we can update them (Scarlet Witch, etc.), so would we LATER release Lucifer on MightyA? It's complicated, but we ultimately decided to allow an obscure Avengers-adjacent villain like Lucifer on MightyA now, but the obscure-ohs will not be the focus of that site at this time.

Wanda-related characters have long been a gray area for UXN. We're often said in the past that characters like Vision and Wonder Man (or Crystal for Quicksilver) may be Maximoff characters, but they just aren't X-MEN characters. Chthon ultimately falls into that category. Having never fought the X-Men or really even appeared in an X-Title, his only link to UXN is through Wanda. And with Wanda drifting further and further away from her roots, no longer either a mutant or Magneto's daughter, being linked to Wanda is simply not enough to appear on UXN.

Hope this behind-the-scenes glimpse at our mania was helpful.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 31 Jan 2019, 16:38

If you want my $.02–which nobody asked but I’m gonna give it to you anyhow—if the content already exists on UXN and it’s relevant to MA, there’s no reason not to include it. Concerns about being “too inclusive” are overblown, since you get to decide for yourselves what to include. Nobody can say to you, “well, you included Lucifer, therefore you MUST include this other obscure character.” You don’t need to be 100% consistent with some ill-defined and ultimately arbitrary categorical definition. Just add stuff that’s relevant, and if it already exists, all the better.

From the POV of a fan and user of your site, the more information the better, so long as its well organized. We understand there are gaps, and live with that. But there’s no reason to leave a gap when the material already exists, just buried on a “sister” site.

If I discover a character in an Avengers comic and I go to your site to find information, isn’t it better that the info be there, then hidden somewhere else? If I don’t know Lucifer is more tied to the X-Men than to Captain America, and when I don’t find him on MA, I may go over to Wikipedia next. We wouldn’t want to have your readers resort to Wikipedia would we? Or even worse, Marvel Wikia?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 01 Feb 2019, 16:15

Wouldn't have posted in an open forum if I didn't expect feedback.

You and I both know the internet has people who would sincerely say, "well, you included Lucifer, therefore...", but you're right that we don't have to listen to them.

I wasn't entirely on board with our decision to hold back our existing Avengers-themed UXN articles from MightyA until they're updated, but I've come around to the idea. Doing so has forced us to prioritize updating and improving those articles. It's lit a fire under us to make sure that content is prepared in a timely manner. We only have about a half-dozen people working on the site now, supporting several hundred existing articles while also wanting to produce new ones. So we often create Event Months or other initiatives not only because they're fun, but they help us focus on a specific goal, when otherwise we could go in literally a hundred different directions. So often times these "rules" work to motivate us, rather than restrict us.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 01 Feb 2019, 20:52

Well, if it works better for y’all behind the curtain, I can’t argue with that.