Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marvelous Comics Draft - done

Want to invite new players to your role-playing/ Draft / Betrayal game?Needing help starting one? want to join one? This is the place to talk and participate
Lavettye

Marvelous Comics Draft - done

Post by Lavettye » 20 Apr 2020, 13:39

Welcome to the Marvelous Comics Editorial Draft, where you have seemingly random characters team up and become the stars of some new comic books (plural !), as you not only work on creating one team but two in one draft. Once the drafting is done, everyone presents their ideas for the new Marvel comics.

------------------------------------------

Order of players:

SLOT 1: EphemeristX & MartijnB
SLOT 2: Cable & das_boot
SLOT 3: Gibbering Fool & tokenBG1009
SLOT 4: Folklore & Wings
SLOT 5: Aeon & Juggernaut
SLOT 6: Anna Raven & BlackCyclops
SLOT 7: Sequoia & Spectral Knight

--------------------------------------------------------

In-story Intro: (skip if you don’t like reading, no actual Draft info in this part)
Young aspiring writer Ely V. Tate couldn’t believe his luck. Just as he was about to lose his home as he was unable to pay the mortgage, he was hired by Marvel to take a new spin on three of its former titles for the next big anniversary event. Ely never cared much for Marvel Two-in-One, Marvel Team-Up or Marvel Comics Presents, but it was a paying job after all and it sure felt good to hand the bank manager a copy of his contract. It was the bank manager who pointed out that Ely was sitting on an actual goldmine; accidentally his contract was for creator-owned material. Lucy Peters, the intern who drew up the contract, had messed up, and now there it was in writing – Ely held the rights to the three books and “all its titular characters”. He now had a document signed by a high-ranking Marvel official that he legally owned the likes of Spider-Man, Thor, the Thing and the Human Torch.

Ely had no interest in entering a decade-long legal battle to enforce those rights, so he offered Marvel another deal instead. They would pay him to create and launch a new line of comics, the Marvelous line, in which he’d get to use the company’s most iconic characters in an alternate setting. If the line turned out to be a success after a year’s worth of stories, then it would be a win-win for all involved, and if not, then he’d revoke all creator-owned rights. Surprisingly, Marvel agreed, though only under the condition that Tate and his team were limited to characters who were covered by that contract. Immediately Tate called all his friends from the UXN forum to share the good news and start building some teams…
Last edited by Lavettye on 19 Jun 2020, 21:24, edited 106 times in total.
[PL_2.0]

Lavettye

Re: Marvelous Comics Draft

Post by Lavettye » 20 Apr 2020, 13:42

Character and team choices:
Available characters are only those who starred in an issue of Marvel Two-in-One, Marvel Team-Up or Marvel Comics Presents. An appearance in a story is not enough, the character’s name needs to appear individually in the story title and/or the cover of the issue.

Occasionally the stories in these books would not just feature two single characters, but have, for example Spider-Man team up with the New Mutants or the Thing work together with the Avengers. Those will be the available team names, same deal as with single characters – they need to be named in the story title and/or the cover.

As a result you have some very obscure characters and teams mixed with some big ones, and you also have some odd situations like all original Defenders being on the list, but that team name not being available, or the "Daughters of the Dragon” being among the team names, but neither Misty Knight nor Colleen Wing among the character list. You might have to re-purpose the team names. The full list of teams and characters can be found a few posts down.

Rules (basics):
- Everyone drafts two teams. Teams will be assigned before the draft starts, everyone will be sent a list of choices via PM.
- Twelve rounds overall, so you'll end up having twelve characters to be placed on your two teams. You don't need to be evenly distribute them between your two teams. 4/8 or 7/5 is as okay as 6/6.
- 48 hours deadline before being skipped

Special rules, all fitting the 2-in-1 theme:

The Loan Pick: (1 for 2)
Everyone gets to pick a character that has already been drafted and use them too. You may even loan one of your own characters if you want to use that character for both your teams. You can use the Loan pick during any round but the Special ones (#8 and #9). Please note that a character can only be loaned one time and "new identity" characters are off-limits.

The Transfer Pick: (1 of 2)
ROUND #8 will be a designated Transfer round in which each player will pick a character only for that character to be transferred to someone else's rosters. To avoid cheating, the transfer will be done half-blind. You are being given the names of two other players that your choice might be sent to, but only after the round is done, you’ll learn which one they actually ended up with.

New Identity: (2 are 1)
This is a “free agent” variation that Wings used in the Thunderbolts Draft. ROUND #9 will be a fixed round during which you can bring in any other Marvel character not on the list (nor claimed by another player) with them adopting a new codename, namely one of the available listed names. For story purposes it could either be a disguise or an imposter scenario, or a mere case of someone changing their moniker because they feel like it. The person who was originally listed, however, becomes unavailable after that. A new identity character can not be loaned, and vice versa.

Picking Pairs: (2 in 1)
This is the single new element. The players are divided in pairs that share a spot in the picking order. The draft starts, and players A & B have the same 48 hours to make their move, whoever gets there first is lucky to have had one more option available than the second player. As soon both A and B have made their picks, the draft moves on to players C and D, again - first come first serve, and so on.

The idea is to speed up the game a little and give a possible reward to those who stay attentive and make picks fast. You don’t lose that much, though, if you come in second. Maybe next round you’ll beat out your partner, and even if you don’t then you’ve just got one less character to choose from, and you might loan them instead.

At the end of a round, there’s no double-post. You’ll have to wait for me to cross out picked names and update the overview of who picked what, and then the game continues. (in reverse order, last pair from previous round is now first)
Last edited by Lavettye on 06 Jun 2020, 23:57, edited 17 times in total.
[PL_2.0]

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 20 Apr 2020, 13:53

In!
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 20 Apr 2020, 14:13

So to confirm, when you pick a normal pick, it with the understanding that you will allocate it to just ONE of your two teams. So you can't do what I did in X-Editorial I and have multiple cast members appearing on both teams unless you used your loan, and in this case, it'd just be the one member.

Would we have to stipulate which team we're drafting them to, or would the team splits remain hidden until the end and revealed by each player?

Cable

Post by Cable » 20 Apr 2020, 14:18

I'll join
Best Comics of Week 37

Best X-Comic: Marauders #12 by Gerry Duggan (8) and Matteo Lolli (4)
Best Non-X Comic: Empyre Aftermath Avengers #1 by Al Ewing (7) and Valerio Schiti (2)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic of week this year

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 20 Apr 2020, 14:33

Spectral Knight wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 14:13
So to confirm, when you pick a normal pick, it with the understanding that you will allocate it to just ONE of your two teams. So you can't do what I did in X-Editorial I and have multiple cast members appearing on both teams unless you used your loan, and in this case, it'd just be the one member.

Would we have to stipulate which team we're drafting them to, or would the team splits remain hidden until the end and revealed by each player?
Exactly. All your picked characters need to be clearly assigned to one of your teams, and only if you loaned from yourself can you have one character be in both. The draftees don't need to be evenly distributed between your teams. You could have 4 characters in one book and the rest in the other, for example.

The team splits (and even the team names) remain hidden till the end, unless you decide for yourself that one of your teams is done and want to reveal it. (just like we did in the last few rounds of Cable's Editorial)

BTW, Special thanks to Cable, whom I ran past some of the Draft ideas a few weeks back.
[PL_2.0]

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 20 Apr 2020, 15:08

in!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Apr 2020, 15:10

I will play.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 20 Apr 2020, 15:14

Okay, I'll say yes, but I've not got the foggiest idea for any sort of team roster at the moment. Creativity is zapped...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Apr 2020, 16:43

This sounds amazing...I’m in!
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 20 Apr 2020, 18:51

Now here's the list of available team names:
Alpha Flight, Avengers, Avengers, ClanDestine, Damage Control,
Daughters of the Dragon, Excalibur, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four, Force Works,
Freedom Force, Generation X, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans,
Knights of Pendragon, Liberty Legion, Masters of Silence, New Mutants, New Warriors,
Nightstalkers, Sons of the Tiger, Starjammers, Wrecking Crew, X-Men,
X-Men, Yancy Street Gang, Young Gods, plus four "duo of your own choosing", one of which was not taken.

The "duo of your own choosing" titles, are to be filled with two name-giving lead characters and supporting cast. (Examples would be Kitty Pryde & Wolverine, or Vision & the Scarlet Witch. Of course it'd be nice, if you came up with something new.
With 14 players having signed up, some of the bigger titles will be handed out twice. It's 32 options overall.

--------------------
Now, on to the characters, and that list is huge. My initial count had 215 characters, but I removed a few, namely all people from a different era or alternate timeline (like Ravage 2099) and all baseline humans with no super-powers (like Willie Lumpkin and Wonder Man's Agent Neal, who didn't even have a last name) That cut the list down to a manageable 200 characters:

Adam Warlock
American Eagle
Andromeda (atlantean)
Angel (Warren Worthington)

Arabian Knight
Batroc
Beast

Black Bolt
Black Cat
Black Knight (Dane Whitman)
Black Panther (T'Challa)
Blade

Brother Voodoo *loaned*
Cable
Cannonball

Captain America (Steve Rogers) *loaned*
Captain Britian (Brian Braddock)
Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau)
Captain Ultra
Century
Clea
*loaned*
Cloak
Coldblood

Collective Man
Colossus
Comet Man

Constrictor *loaned*
Crossbones
Cyclops
Dagger
Darkstar
Dazzler
*loaned*
Deadpool
Death's Head

Deathlok (John Kelly)
Devil-Slayer
Doc Samson

Doc Savage
Dominic Fortune (Duvid Fortunov)
Dr. Doom (Victor von Doom)
Dr. Strange
Dracula
El Aguila
Falcon (Sam Wilson)

Firestar
Foreigner (various aliases)

Frankenstein Monster
Frog-Man (Eugene Patilio)
Gabriel, the Devil-Hunter
Gargoyle (Isaac Christians)
Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze)
Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch)
Giant-Man/Black Goliath (Bill Foster)
Gladiator (Kallark)
Gladiator (Melvin Potter)

Golem (animated statue)
Gorilla-Man
Havok
Hawkeye (Clint Barton)
Hellcat

Her (later known as Kismet)
Hercules
Howard the Duck
Hulk
Human Torch (Johnny Storm)
Hyperion (616)
Iceman

Impossible Man
Invisible Woman
Iron Fist
Iron Man (Tony Stark)
It the Living Colossus
Jocasta *loaned*
Ka-Zar *loaned*
Le Peregrine
Leir, Lord of Lightning
Living Mummy
Lockjaw
Longshot

Lunatik
Lynx ("Nancy Rushman")
Mace (Shigeru Ezaki)
Machine-Man

Magneto
Major Victory (Vance Astro)
Man-Thing
Man-Wolf (John Jameson)
Marvel Girl (Jean Grey) *loaned*
Meggan
Mockingbird

Modred the Mystic
Mojo (I)
Moon Knight
Moondragon
Moonstar/Mirage
*loaned*
Morbius
Mr. Fantastic
Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
*loaned*
Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Namorita/Kymaera
Nick Fury
Nightcrawler

Nighthawk (Kyle Richmond)
Northstar
Nova (Frankie Raye)
Nova (Richard Rider)

Nth Man (Thomas Lightner)
Overmind
Paladin
Phantom Rider (Hamilton Slade)
Pip the Troll
Poison
Power Man (Luke Cage)
Professor X
Puck (Eugene Judd)
Puma
Punisher

Puppet Master
Quasar (Wendell Vaugn)
Recorder 404

Red Wolf (William Talltrees)
Rintrah
Rom the Space-Knight
Sandman
Sasquatch
Satana

Scarecrow (later known as Straw Man)
Scarlet Witch
Selene
Shamrock

Shang-Chi
Shanna the She-Devil *loaned*
She-Hulk *loaned*
Shooting Star
Shroud
Silver Surfer
Siryn
Skull the Slayer
Slag (of Wolfpack)
Solo

Son of Satan (Daimon Hellstrom)
Speedball
Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter)
Spitfire (Jacqueline Crichton)
Starfox
Starlight
Stingray
Storm

Sub-Mariner/Namor
Sunfire
Sunspot
Taskmaster

Thanos
Thing
Thor
Thundra

Triton
Turbo (Mickey Musashi)
Two-Gun Kid
Typhoid Mary
U.S.Agent

Ursa Major
Valkyrie (Barbara Norris/Brunhilde/Genevieve Cross)
Vengeance (Lt. Michael Badilino)
Venom (Eddie Brock)
Vision *loaned*
Volcana
Volstagg
War Machine (Jim Rhodes) *loaned*
Warlock (technarch)
Wasp (Janet van Dyne)

Watcher (Uatu)
Weapon Omega (Michael Pointer)
Werewolf (Jack Russell)

Wheels (of Wolfpack)
White Fox
Winter Soldier
Wolfsbane

Wolverine (James Logan)
Wonder Man

Woodgod
Wundarr/Aquarian
Yellowjacket (Hank Pym)
X-23

New Identity
Ant-Man (Black Ant)
Black Widow (Abigail Brand)
Captain Mar-Vell (Noh-Varr)
Captain Universe (Corsair)
Daredevil (Libra)
Jack of Hearts (Empath)
Nightmare (Sleepwalker)
Nomad (America Chavez)
Shadowcat (Sister Grimm)
Silver Sable (Danger)
Starhawk (Phyla-Vell)
Steel Raven (Steel Wind)
Tigra (Mystique)
Union Jack (Pete Wisdom)
Last edited by Lavettye on 18 Jun 2020, 02:17, edited 164 times in total.
[PL_2.0]

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 21 Apr 2020, 06:17

Sign-ups will stay open till we have 14 players or until Sunday, April 26th. The game itself will start the first May weekend.

I forgot to mention above that if you happen to be out of town for a few days, you can PM me a shortlist of choices and I'll make sure that you get one of them by the time it's your turn to post. In such a case I'll post in your stead at exactly 24 hours of the 48 hour period that you share with another player, so depending on when they post, it's still open who got there first.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.
[PL_2.0]

Wings

Post by Wings » 21 Apr 2020, 09:14

I shall join
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Apr 2020, 12:14

In!
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 21 Apr 2020, 19:47

Well, ok then.

Can you cut down some rules? My head is buzzing already.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 21 Apr 2020, 20:11

You're just fishing for a compliment and want me to say that you'll manage, which… you'll do. You had the same set of rules in Cable's Editorial and did fine there:
Loan, Transfer, Wildcard (though here you have to give the Wildcard a new codename from the list)

The only extra is the "picking pairs", and given how many times you have alerted other players in the past that it's their turn, I know this one will not bother you one bit.

Welcome aboard! Nine players in, but we still have some room for more.
[PL_2.0]

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 21 Apr 2020, 20:13

Cancel that picking pairs and we are good. I’ll trade my virginity for that.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 21 Apr 2020, 20:19

You can only trade something you still have.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Apr 2020, 20:22

I'd watch a sitcom of the two of you trapped in a house together.

Also, in.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 21 Apr 2020, 20:25

You should be thankful I didn’t do a 2-in-1 joke... I just came up with this in the shower.

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia » 21 Apr 2020, 20:40

I am not sure if I understood all the conditions, but I will join too.

Maybe I have to ask questions from time to time, but I will give my best to keep it to a minimum.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 21 Apr 2020, 20:45

Great, the more the merrier. Don't hesitate to ask… either here or in a private message.
[PL_2.0]

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 Apr 2020, 20:49

Aeon why are you broken?
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 21 Apr 2020, 21:22

das_boot wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 20:49
Aeon why are you broken?