unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Betrayal Game: Discussion Thread

Want to invite new players to your role-playing game, or are you needing help starting a new one ? This is the place to talk about it.
Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Aug 2008, 04:50

I figured that while we wait for people to vote or the moderator to update we can use this thread to suggest ideas for future rounds or just discuss the game in general.

I have two questions for everyone.

For those who have had the privelege of doing both, do you prefer playing as the killer or being an innocent and guessing?

Also for those who have had it, do you like having the paranoia kill or the suspense of waiting to see who uses it and if they use it on you?Peter Luzifer2008-11-19 17:42:21

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 Aug 2008, 06:28

Never been the killer, so I can't comment on that front... However, I've run a game, and that was quite fun, so I can imagine being the killer to be very very fun!And again, never had the paranoia kill... I guess people just don't think I would be a good killer! LOL.

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 15 Aug 2008, 09:51

I've not been the killer yet, so I can't comment on that. Having the Paranoia kill is cool though, although it's always a worry, due to the fact that it could result in your death too, if you kill the wrong person.I imagine being the killer would be great fun though. I imagine the game would fall apart if I tried to run it though! lol

Polaris

Post by Polaris » 15 Aug 2008, 16:10

I love having the paranoia kill. It gives you a great sense of power and control over what happens in the game. As an ordinary player and not the mod or the killer, you only get to vote or die. The paranoia kill offers a slice of power. And personally, because of the impending threat that if you get it wrong, you die too, you're forced to be really responsible about it. Take your time going over all the clues as many times as you need before coming up with a plausible idea of who the killer is. So, I thank Das_Boot for giving me that.

Now if only I could be the mod of the game... but people keep jumping to create new games before the previous one is even finished, and I don't get to start my own!

Betten

Post by Betten » 15 Aug 2008, 16:14

I've been the moderator 4 times (one time I couldn't finish though) and I absolutely love it! It's much more fun than being a simple player.

I've also been the killer once (as Dust, and I won)

And about the paranoia kill: As a moderator, I only use it if I think it will advance the game. Last round, I didn't have to do it, as it was interresting enough without it.

And I'm a big fan of all the new rules we've developed:
The first kill being an NPC - thus improving the fairness
The Immunity challenge - the race to be the first poster
The Paranoia Kill - throwing everything overboard

and btw, when there are 7 or less players, I prefer to change from 10 votes for a revelation to 7 votes, thus giving the innocents a chance to find the killer properly.

But I think Polaris has a point: the reason the frist round lost steam quickly was that there were no breaks inbetween the games. Give it a rest sometime
So I'd say we wait at least 3-4 days after a game ended before a new one starts.
And be fair: give people a chance to mod who haven't been able to do so yet. (although, if they don't say anything, we can't make way for them. so call dibs, people)

my record:
Round 1: Emma (Innocent) Survived
Round 2: Forge (Innocent) Died
Round 4: Dust (Killer) Survived
Round 5: Cecilia and Miguel Reyes (Innocent) Survived
Round 6: Mod
Round 7: Destiny and Mystique (Innocent) Died
Round 8: Mod
Round 9: Magma and Empath (Innocent) Survived
Round 10: Northstar and Aurora (Innocent) Survived
Round 11: Cordelia Frost (Innocent) Died
Round 12: Mod
Round 16: Nightcrawler and Amanda (Innocent) Died
Round 17: Mod
Round 18: Arclight and Forge (Innocent) DiedBetten2008-08-15 16:33:02

Beachbum100

Post by Beachbum100 » 15 Aug 2008, 16:20

I love this game and I love playing as either Mod or player. And I have a pretty good survival record! Killer: Won itInnocent: Survived in 2 and last innocent left alive in my first one (Damn you Mastermind!)M is my favourite person to play as, cause she is a total b*tch and so the best one to play

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Aug 2008, 19:30

I don't mean to sound like a psycho but I prefer both being the killer and having the paranoia kill. The paranoia kill really combines the fun of the killer and the innocent into one great package.

The NPC kill rule is the best one that has been developed. It was such a bummer to be the first one killed before it came out. I also like the paranoia kill. It adds more suspense. I never liked the immunity rule however and didn't use it when I modded. I didn't think it was fair to reward someone for just showing up first. For one it gives a big advantage if you live in the same time zone as the mod and two I didn't like it because I like to see how other people are voting before I post and so I never got immunity.

Next round I am going to play with my unique rules I used before, which from a mod viewpoint is really really fun. Some people honestly just made up clues last time lol. It adds even more paranoia to the game.

And Polaris you can have the round after me! I like to see new people mod because sometimes they do interesting variations. For example JanO's round with the Islamic influence was pretty cool.

My favorite character to play was Deadpool, who I never actually play as but who was the investigator when I modded. People said I wrote him well. When I actually play I pick a sometimes bizarre mix of characters, as evidenced by the ridiculous round as Kreeg. I just like to see how others react to a variety of characters.Cable2008-08-15 19:31:30

JanO

Post by JanO » 15 Aug 2008, 20:05

I've only played 5 times now, and I've hosted, been the killer, been killed, been paranoia killed TWICE, and I just love this game, in every way. I loved my round as Killer, because I played Skids (whom I love more and more and more as I'm writing her) and I was really proud of the way the STORY worked out in that one. I was also very proud of my round as a host, because almost nobody got all the Islamic referenses.
BTW: I diodsn't even KNOW about the Immunity rule LOL
As for moderating, let's put it in order. Everyone who has never hosted, can go first.
If you guys want, I'll make a list and keep track of it, by PM-ing whoevers turn it is. Is that okay? I would love to see Cable or Polaris host a round. Cable has the CRAZIEST characters and ideas, and Polaris is just an awesome writer!

Savant

Post by Savant » 15 Aug 2008, 21:45

I am still pretty new to this.  Haven't been the killer, haven't hosted yet, so can't really comment.  I have a feeling that I'd probably like playing rather than hosting more... but then, I always hope that I'm the killer at the start of the game, so maybe I'm just weird.

The paranoia kill is great.

Betten

Post by Betten » 16 Aug 2008, 21:47

I've noticed that in almost every round so far either M or Emma (or both) were used.
Why is it that people love to write the bitchy characters? I just never got what makes them chooseworthy. To me, writing these characters is just boring, All you really have to do is to be sassy.

And @Cable: I liked the Immunity rule, because it made you think wether you should play tactically by waiting who gets many votes and checking the other's behaviour for clues or go for safety and post quickly.

But I only used it once (I think when you were Ironman and killed them all)

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Aug 2008, 22:22

I like Monet because you can get away with reacting practically ANY way you like and it's not out of character... and also, be an uber-bitch... LOL

JanO

Post by JanO » 16 Aug 2008, 23:05

So far, I've played all my favorite charaters in order (Kitty, Dani, Skids, Magik, Rachel). I like playing drama-queens, or otherwise messed up people. Northstar has been played almost every round I was in, probably also because of the Bitchy factor.

And Savant: I was TOTALLY gonna make you the Killer when I hosted. Too bad you couldn't play that round!

sixhoursoflucy

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 08 Sep 2008, 23:33

I like the 24-hour round rule a lot; it keeps the game moving along and encourages everyone to vote quickly. Do others feel the same way? What about you, Mummudrai?

Mummudrai

Post by Mummudrai » 08 Sep 2008, 23:35

I do too, but sometimes people get caught up and can't post. Maybe we should try it though, after this round in the current game?

JanO

Post by JanO » 10 Sep 2008, 18:50

Okay.... Maybe I'm just NOT a good killer LOL

I would like to propose one thing, though.

If the number of players goes above 10, than the number of ACTIVE living players is the number of votes needed to trigger a reveal. As the number of active players goes down, the number goes down, to a minimum of 10 votes needed to get outed!

Does this make sense????

medium13

Post by medium13 » 10 Sep 2008, 19:17

That's a good idea JanO. Maybe we can try it if we get over 10 or so players.

I've been thinking about my hosting duties  - and at the risk of someone stealing my idea I'm going to suggest an all-telepath round where telepathy won't be shut off. In fact it may take place in the Astral Plane. Players are going to have to be creative about using and protecting their thoughts. And as an active moderator, some mind reading and clue giving will take place in the form of private messages.

So anyone interested - start thinking it over for the standby round!medium132008-09-10 19:18:04

Peter Luzifer

Post by Peter Luzifer » 10 Sep 2008, 20:25

Regarding the voting thing, there's a potential bug when it comes to a variable number of votes needed to force a revelation. By your suggestion the number would match the players, and go down by one each time a player is killed (but no further down than 10)....

Well, why should anyone bother to cast an eleventh or twelfth vote ? These would be wasted, wouldn't they? Sooner or later, as the game progresses, it would reach a point where the already received ten votes are enough.

Like in the current game: Cat had 10 votes at a point when 15 would have been needed. So what, let her kill five more people, because by then she would have to reveal herself anyway. There's no more way Cat could have won the game, so its pointless to continue,... isn't it ?

By your current rules, you end a game when it's clear that the killer can not be caught anymore (because there's no way he can reach the needed 10 votes before killing everyone present). Shouldn't - by the same logic - the game also end when it's clear that the killer can not get away anymore ?Peter Luzifer2008-09-10 20:28:43

Polaris

Post by Polaris » 10 Sep 2008, 20:42

So, are we continuing the round or not? Right now, I'd be okay with moding the next game, considering no one else has stepped up, and it kindof was, sortof, in one way or another, perhaps maybe my turn. Or does someone else want to jump all over it again?

EDIT: As for voting, I think at this point, we should make a 2 round minimum, and therefore, alter the vote requirements to better fit the ratio. That being said, any number over 10 players including the killer, the number of required votes raise to 15. At 14 players, the number of votes again raised to 20 and so on and so fourth. Poor Mojo looked like a bafoon this round! Lol (No offense at all to Mummudrai or JanO, you both did a fine job).

I know it's starting to sound a little too professional for such a game, but when any game like this raises in popularity, new rules/policies are needed to accommodate the problems that arise. This was a really good challenge, and it is unfortunate that it had to end so quickly. But I figure, you learn from your 'mistakes' (not that this was a mistake, but you catch my drift). Polaris2008-09-10 20:47:58

Cable

Post by Cable » 10 Sep 2008, 21:00

Personally I think the game works as it is. Sometimes the killer gets caught and sometimes they don't. But as it always has been, I think the rules should simply be up to the particular mod. Everyone can suggest them but as the mod you ultimately make the decision and whoever mods next can see if it works. So given the current advice do what you think works Polaris. 

And yes I would start a new game. It is unfortunate the last one ended so quickly but that is the way the game is played.

Peter Luzifer

Post by Peter Luzifer » 26 Sep 2008, 13:22

[QUOTE=Cable]Also for those who have had it, do you like having the paranoia kill or the suspense of waiting to see who uses it and if they use it on you?[/QUOTE]
My second game, and I was already honored to have the paranoia kill ... and I screwed it up.  Well, I guess that's part of the game.

Now, I can't really compare it to a regular game without having the extra power. The Exiles themed round ended so fast and abrubtly, that the thought never occured to me that I might be paranoia-killed by another player, and even if it had... I don't think there's a difference. You constantly deal with the chance that the current round is your last one, and as the game progresses, there's only more ways you can exit the game. Either you become the killer's next victim, you are forced to reveal yourself, ...  or a paranoid player kills you.

Having the extra power though cahnges a lot for you - and I'm pretty sure now that it's called paranoia kill, because having that extra power drives you crazy.  For example, you have to outweigh when you use the paranoia kill - do you risk becoming the killer's next victim in order to see another crime scene with some clue? I took that risk feeling somewhat safe as I was the top suspect and believed the killer would kill me as I was drawing votes away from him.

There's so much at stake, not only your own life but that of a fellow player, two unplanned deaths will result in the other players having two less rounds to figure out the killer's ID and with less voters. If my character hadn't been so close to a forced revelation, I doubt I would have used the paranoia kill at all.

Then there's also to decide WHO you kill. Reviewing the clues (or lack thereof) time and again, I went nearly as crazy and paranoid as my character was in the game. I questioned and second-guessed each single clue and every comment made by another character, and naturally, I came up with nothing.  In the end, I based my decision on strategy, choosing the one of my top three suspects who had the LEAST votes so far, reasoning that there was hardly a chance they could still receive all the votes to be forced into a revelation. Look weher it got me....

Anyway, it's a cool extra power - in a certain way I imagine it to be even more complicated and conflicting than being the actual killer. Whatever - the Betrayal Game is lots of fun and a great way to spend some spare time. Peter Luzifer2008-09-26 13:30:44

medium13

Post by medium13 » 26 Sep 2008, 16:38

I thought you made a good reasoned guess Peter. I would have paranoia killed someone with low votes as well, either Quicksilver or Storm if I wasn't positive I had the killer. This round I might have gone with Nightcrawler.

Your sacrifice might help us catch the killer afterall. And Polaris was really enjoyable to read.
Peter Luzifer2009-05-31 08:05:01

Peter Luzifer

Post by Peter Luzifer » 30 Sep 2008, 23:58

Anyway, those who have been the killer in the past and /or hosted the game in the past:  How exactly do they handle things? I mean, the moderator chooses the setting and the killer, but what about their motive? Does the moderator also provide that, or is the killer left to come up with a motivation on their own, and if so, do they inform the moderator of their motive or not?Peter Luzifer2008-11-19 16:10:57

Mummudrai

Post by Mummudrai » 01 Oct 2008, 02:06

I provided the motive for JanO last game, and he elaborated on it a little.

Cable

Post by Cable » 01 Oct 2008, 04:24

When I've hosted I have pretty much created the killer's motive myself because it usually ties into the clues I want to give. The player then can add extra (such as my last game I was going to have Sabretooth work for Mordo but Mastermind chose Belasco instead.)
When I was the killer I don't remember it well but I think I created my own motive in the final post. (I was Iron Man killing mutants for not joining the Initiative.) I could be mistaken though and Betten can correct me if I am wrong.
Also,  as moderator I have never had someone ask to kill a character in a certain way but when I was the killer I think Betten asked me if there were any ways I wanted to use my powers to mislead the other characters.

Betten

Post by Betten » 01 Oct 2008, 12:52

As a mod, I usually ask the killer if he wants to have his own motivation or if I should provide it for them. And if they have any ideas or special wishes, then I'll grant them.

I'm the morderator, and as such I think it's my job to guide all the players (innocent or not), and not to slump my plot ideas on them. but to each their own.
IMO, it allows for an organic development, and it's much more challenging for me if I have less contol over what I'm writing. Plus, if I think of the plot first and of the possible clues later, they don't sound as contrieved as they sometimes do (The colored door in Round 18, for example)

I did this with Cable (Ironman, Round 6), Mittelos (Polaris, Round 8) and partly with Mastermind (Psylocke, Round 12)
I have however chosen the motive for JCScarlet (Husk, Round 17), Husks love for Archangel/TO virus, because he left me in charge of picking it

If the killer has chosen his motive, sHe has to tell me, though, as I can then craft the clues around their story/ideas. Peter Luzifer2008-11-19 16:14:06