Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Draft Discussion Thread

Want to invite new players to your role-playing/ Draft / Betrayal game?Needing help starting one? want to join one? This is the place to talk and participate
Spectral Knight

Re: Draft Discussion Thread

Post by Spectral Knight » 10 Jun 2021, 07:20

When I did my Avengers draft I used Wiki as my main source of the members, then pulled the adjacent teams' members from the Marvel fandom site. I probably missed a few but that covered most of the ground.

If you're combining lists, dumping them into Excel allows you to de-dupe pretty effectively (though be careful on identities used by >1 character!). Excel is also useful for when it comes to sorting the list(s)!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Jun 2021, 03:45

I think about Cable’s Tournament draft every other day…second guessing my picks lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 14 Jun 2021, 03:04

I usually go to Wiki for the base list then edit it down in a side document. So far my idea is "Defenders For A Spa Day". I'm binging anime again so I keep wanting to do a plot hook involving random peoples at a hot springs/spa type location. Because Anime. Also possibly a "reformed villain" special round to go along with the surprisingly comprehensive list of Defenders.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Jun 2021, 12:57

I know that my idea is more of an editorial themed draft in a hypothetical situation where some massive event happens at Marvel, all non X-books are cancelled, and the majority of the A-List heroes (for this I’ll be using the basis of “would people who don’t read comics know who these heroes are/have they appeared in the MCU/movies/cartoons”) are off the board for… reasons.

Basically, I want to allow each player to choose a title for themselves, and one for another player (they won’t know which player they’ve chosen for), as well as an a-list character to go with that title. You’ll then get the editorial mandate of what that title is supposed to be, but each title will have a twist. Say you pick “Guardians of the Galaxy”. Great, your title is unquestionably space-themed, but the twist is that your book is about the defence of earth from threats beyond our planet. You picked Thunderbolts? Cool— now assemble a team of heroes who’ll be taking on alternate identities in order to infiltrate the Masters of Evil.

Basically, it would be a call of “whatever the book WAS, it’s got a similar theme but a totally different vibe”.

Unless y’all think that’s a horrible idea in which case I’m back to the drawing board
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 16 Jun 2021, 16:27

Sooo...

"Alpha Flight" would be a team's first foray to a distant planet/galaxy/universe/dimension, and the "Champions" are selected by the Grandmaster for a new Contest?

Something like that? Or are the twists are not that literal?

From my perspective, and let's be honest, does anyone else's count, I'm really not too big a fan where most 'A-Listers' are struck off the board. Blame it on my casual readership status, but if I have to be Wiki'ing up more than about a quarter of the list, it stops being fun for me.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Jun 2021, 18:57

Not necessarily THAT literal.

As for a lack of A-listers, I certainly wasn’t going to go so obscure that it’s a character who appeared on one page in one book thirty years ago, but the entire (hidden) point of this editorial mandate challenge would be to push some of the lesser known characters to the point that they could be considered worthy of a slot in the MCU pipeline. So say, maybe you don’t have access to Spider-Man… but there would still be Arachne, Spider-Woman, and Mattie Franklin to choose from (as well as maybe Miles since he’s still not QUITE an A-Lister, but should be).

Or, alternatively, try being less basic, you philistine 😘
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Jun 2021, 02:31

Oh no, you're not making us pick the Philistine, are you?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 17 Jun 2021, 02:42

das_boot wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 18:57
Not necessarily THAT literal.

As for a lack of A-listers, I certainly wasn’t going to go so obscure that it’s a character who appeared on one page in one book thirty years ago, but the entire (hidden) point of this editorial mandate challenge would be to push some of the lesser known characters to the point that they could be considered worthy of a slot in the MCU pipeline. So say, maybe you don’t have access to Spider-Man… but there would still be Arachne, Spider-Woman, and Mattie Franklin to choose from (as well as maybe Miles since he’s still not QUITE an A-Lister, but should be).

I like the idea of encouraging use of lesser-known heroes. Hence why a while back I did that Avengers: Initiative list where all the A-Listers were a special "leader" category and you only got one from that list.

I feel like whenever I host again, I want a back to basics draft. Just draft a team for the fun of making something different, not the "editorial draft where you make an ongoing title!". Those are nice but sometimes you have to let that level of thought into your picks take a break and just Keep It Simple.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 17 Jun 2021, 13:24

das_boot wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 18:57

To be fair, I have picked in prior drafts the esteemed likes of Death's Head, Machine Man, Major Victory and Gaia (from Gen X). So it's not like I have a problem with lesser known characters, I just prefer it more when I know who most people are on the list, with a few oddities. I like the mix, basically.