Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Distribution Draft: Four for Four - side talk

Want to invite new players to your role-playing/ Draft / Betrayal game?Needing help starting one? want to join one? This is the place to talk and participate
Lavettye

Distribution Draft: Four for Four - side talk

Post by Lavettye » 03 Dec 2019, 20:02

The draft starts tomorrow. While the current draft hasn't officially been closed, I didn't want to delay it any longer, as there's only a small window of time to get the Speed draft wrapped up before New Year's. Besides, all players who participate(d) in both, have completed the Warp Draft. In that one we are only waiting for Wings' and hotknives' final picks, with both having missed their deadlines... and of course booty, who hasn't posted in a month. Oh yeah, and BC said he'd produce an Overall narrative once ist done, but he isn't in Four by Four either, so nobody has to do double duties.

Anyway, this thread is for side-talk, smack talk and commentaries… both from participants and observers.
[PL_2.0]

EphemeristX

Re: Distribution Draft: Four for Four - side talk

Post by EphemeristX » 03 Dec 2019, 20:08

Very involved. I like it. I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 03 Dec 2019, 20:23

Am actually very pleased to be last in this draft. If my understanding is correct I get to pick all four of my characters each round. This is very good if you want to do something thematic (and which I have an idea for but I expect you lot to dash it to pieces immediately).
Best X-comic last week: X-Men #3
Best non-X comic last week: Annihilation Scourge Fantastic Four

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 03 Dec 2019, 20:39

Yes, you understood correctly. As you always get to draft for all four teams, the draft is only four rounds long for token and you, whereas everyone else gets five rounds, but doesn't draft the full set in rounds I and V.

BTW, I did the math. It's actually impossible to get stuck with a team of only three characters in the end. The worst case is that the last choice is made for you. Like, if you are last in line for one team, by the time you draft your fourth member, 31 character of that team's list have already been crossed off (seven players 4 each, and your own 3 previous picks), and of the reamining 13 characters, you might aready have drafted 12 for your own other three teams. That would leave exactly one character… and the wildcards. :-)
[PL_2.0]

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 03 Dec 2019, 20:53

Why do I have the impression that you work as some kind of mathematician or bookkeeper or something.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 03 Dec 2019, 20:56

Totally off - I'm a social worker in a prison, but I'm doing a lot of logic & math puzzles in my spare time.
[PL_2.0]

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 03 Dec 2019, 21:01

Lavettye wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 20:56
Totally off - I'm a social worker in a prison, but I'm doing a lot of logic & math puzzles in my spare time.
:shock: :o

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 04 Dec 2019, 01:09

This draft makes a lot more sense now. I'll admit I was a bit confused when you first posted the rules. Should be fun.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 04 Dec 2019, 19:22

Great, already half a round done on the first day…. and I have to say there's some unexpected choices in there.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 04 Dec 2019, 22:58

I only have one team developed in my mind. I just picked some favorites for all the others.

I do have an idea for another one of the teams that should work out, maybe. I hope.

Edit:
Looked at the list and second team won't work, but that's fine because I can fix it.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 04 Dec 2019, 23:21

That's not the only thing that doesn't work - you can't use She-Hulk for Team A, as Anna Raven already claimed her in that group and Wade picked her for B. The second post of the game thread has a list of which characters are still available in which group.

As this is the first round, I'll give token half a day to fix his entire set of picks (by possible drafting She-Hulk for Team C or D, and then Spider-Man or Namor for A). If he doesn't return by then, his picks for Teams B,C & D will be logged in, and he'll have to change his Team A pick to something else.

In future rounds, it will always be handled like that right away. Those picks that do work will be accepted as they are, and only the false one can be altered.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Dec 2019, 00:21

Whoops, misread the rules.

I am probably misremembering, but I thought there was a thing about people having the same team. Sorry!
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 05 Dec 2019, 00:26

You may end up having the same team, but in a different slot. Anna may draft four specific characters in team A, and you might draft the same ones in team C, for example.
Last edited by Lavettye on 05 Dec 2019, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Dec 2019, 00:27

Lavettye wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 00:26
You may end up having the same team, but in a different slot. Anna may draft four specific characters in team A, and you might draft the same ones in team C, for example.
Oh! Got it.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 05 Dec 2019, 00:28

And you already managed to disrupt one of my ideas. :-) I was planning on having Namor and Black Panther on the same team.
Last edited by Lavettye on 05 Dec 2019, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Dec 2019, 06:24

Me thinks you have four picks this round if I'm reading the chart right, Aeon...and everyone else

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 05 Dec 2019, 06:26

Argh.. sorry. I just woke up a few minutes ago.

Editing right now.

Thanks

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Dec 2019, 06:35

Well crap, there goes one of my team ideas

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 05 Dec 2019, 17:33

It's brutal. Whenever you have settled on an idea in your mind, someone comes along and grabs a character you wanted. It's even worse when that character is still availale in another group, but not the one where you've already drafted their intended teammate.

I guess very loose concepts for the four teams would have been the way to go...
[PL_2.0]

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 05 Dec 2019, 19:28

This is interesting to watch, like the idea of occasional speed drafts as well. It'll be fun to see the final teams.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 Dec 2019, 20:39

Following on a non-participant, I'm still not sure I totally get the flow of this game, nor how you can really strategise it. I think I would get far too annoyed playing this one compared to a traditional draft!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Dec 2019, 20:55

Basically, you're trying to make your teams work while watching out for someone else blocking them from your team. Like, if you wanted Mister Fantastic and the Invisible Woman together, you'd need to strategize the order and placement so that you'd be able to get them on the same slot before either character gets locked out. Also, only four people total can get any single character, so you have to watch for that as well.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 05 Dec 2019, 21:23

Spectral Knight wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 20:39
Following on a non-participant, I'm still not sure I totally get the flow of this game, nor how you can really strategise it. I think I would get far too annoyed playing this one compared to a traditional draft!
Well - basically it's four drafts running parallel, so the same ways to strategize would apply.

One thing I've already learned is that you better not go after a very specific line-up, but think about themes that would apply to a larger array of characters, so that it won't hurt your theme too much if a character is taken by someone else.

Additionally, you might want to start with characters that would work for several different ideas, and only once you draft a second (or third) character for a team, you fully set on what you want this team to be about.

Character popularity is definitely an issue, as it is in any draft. There was just no way one could have drafted Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny all on the same team, as there was no chance that the other players would leave any of those four alone for three rounds. In a regular draft about the Avengers, you will also never get Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Wasp and Wanda on the same team.

Anyway, I'm not sure there's enough time to even get that annoyed. I'd never have imagined that on the second day we'd already be near the end of Round II. If we keep up this pace, the entire draft will be done within a week.
Last edited by Lavettye on 05 Dec 2019, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
[PL_2.0]

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 05 Dec 2019, 21:46

I have to wait until after work to add the images and I don't want to hold up the game just for that. They've been added now and I went with all Kirby art for the original FF. Obviously, Anna Raven beat me to the punch with the idea of the original 4 leading one of each of the teams.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Dec 2019, 21:49

Spectral Knight wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 20:39
As someone who had like...3 concepts just WRECKED this round, it's definitely capable of strategy. I think Laveyette's definition of "Four mini drafts" is probably the most accurate description.