Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Draft Discussion Thread

Want to invite new players to your role-playing/ Draft / Betrayal game?Needing help starting one? want to join one? This is the place to talk and participate
WorldWideWade

Draft Discussion Thread

Post by WorldWideWade » 10 Sep 2019, 12:56

Hello Draft Players!

This will be the official new home of the popular Draft games started by Cable.

Below is the history of the draft games:

Phase 1 - Conception
X-men - Cable
Avengers - Cable
Uncanny Avengers - Cable
X-men Villains - Cable
Marvel Villains - Cable

Phase 2 - Diversification
X-men 2.0 - WorldWideWade
Exiles - Cable
Guardians of the Galaxy - GibberingFool
Marvel Cinematic Universe - Magik84
Justice League - WorldWideWade

Phase 3 - Abstraction
X-men Editorial - Cable
Marvel Warped - Anna Raven
Thunderbolts - Wings
Avengers Initiative - RingOtaku
Marvel Vs DC - WorldWideWade

Phase 4 - Relocation
Teen Heroes - das_boot

Below I would like to try to keep track of upcoming drafts and confirm the order of them. Please discuss below if we should reorder these. Also if we could confirm that the original posters are still wanting to run these drafts.

Avengers Editorial - Blackcyclops
TBA Editorial - Cable
X-men Generations - Magik84
Amalgam - das-boot

X-men Heroes and Villains - ev82 (on hold)
Reverse Draft - GibberingFool (concept discussed)
Fantastic Four Mini-draft - tokenBG1009 (discussed it but not sure if he was offering to run it)

I'm sure I missed some so please post if you would like to claim a concept that we will eventually get around to playing.
Last edited by WorldWideWade on 10 Sep 2019, 22:46, edited 3 times in total.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

Blackcyclops

Re: Draft Discussion Thread

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Sep 2019, 16:20

Oh I’m 100% still doing mine...I very much look forward to it!
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Cable

Post by Cable » 10 Sep 2019, 18:00

I am still doing mine as well. And to be clear though it is Editorial Draft 2, it will not be the same as the previous one I did. It will be unique among the drafts done so far.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 10 Sep 2019, 21:28

Are we now using this thread to reserve spots in upcoming drafts?

If so, I'd like to reserve my spot for BC's A-Editorial draft and Cable's X-Edit 2 if spots are opening up early, but will be skipping Das' teen heroes draft as I struggled with the DC parts of the last draft.

I know Cable mentioned that this will be very different to the last one, I wonder if it would be worth putting another planned draft in between BC's and Cable's, as could imagine these being fairly similar in terms of flow, just my opinion but still in for both even it they do follow one after the other.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Sep 2019, 21:44

Spectral Knight wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 21:28
Are we now using this thread to reserve spots in upcoming drafts?

If so, I'd like to reserve my spot for BC's A-Editorial draft and Cable's X-Edit 2 if spots are opening up early, but will be skipping Das' teen heroes draft as I struggled with the DC parts of the last draft.

I know Cable mentioned that this will be very different to the last one, I wonder if it would be worth putting another planned draft in between BC's and Cable's, as could imagine these being fairly similar in terms of flow, just my opinion but still in for both even it they do follow one after the other.
I think official signups should be in the actual draft threads. People can get lost easily when they sign up in a separate thread from the draft itself. I know, because once I signed up in the other "planning thread" but then almost got left out when I didn't also sign up in the draft thread itself.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 10 Sep 2019, 22:02

Yeah I think we should keep it by discussing new drafts and ideas here, as well as announcements. Sign ups in the actual draft.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Sep 2019, 08:21

Based on Omnicron's suggestion an "Image & Imprint" draft might work out? Grabbing characters from the more popular books with some support from the Big 2?
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 11 Sep 2019, 08:57

It’s not like I know every DC, WilldStorm, Top Cow, Valiant,... character, most of them I know from the see. I know who Ninjak or Grifter are, but I dont know their history up until I look it up. Or Wetworks, Cyberforce,.. they look cool but I need to read the details about them.

But I could also imagine some more weirder/goofy drafts, with real lifé celebrities, or characters from cartoons, Disney comics, movies and tv shows.

DC did/does a DC vs. Hanna Barbera series for example.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 11 Sep 2019, 09:21

Ok, this I had to look up

I am in for something like that.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Sep 2019, 17:10

Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 11 Sep 2019, 20:40

I'm still up for running my draft.

As for other suggestions could be fun opening up drafts to other companies, even if it was just in a wildcard round or to see who could get the most obscure team!
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 11 Sep 2019, 21:19

I'm gonna have to dissent from the last few posts, I really don't need to see more cross publisher / media franchise drafts. I enjoy drafts where the finalised rosters can quite easily make sense AND be a workable comic book concept*. I'm all for wildcard rules within the same publisher house where one A.N.Other hero can be used to complete a team, but otherwise it is just too weird. From memory, even keeping it to Marvel books in the Exiles draft led to some really odd choices. I think Marvel vs DC is probably as far as it goes for me in that kind of draft as being something I (as a self confessed misery guts) would enjoy.

* I consider the Warped draft as an exception, as I never really felt I was drafting a team / book, but more drafting characters towards a wider universe, especially as BC did a great job of world building with our individual creations. I'm not even sure it should be considered a draft per se, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 11 Sep 2019, 21:35

I agree. Having just gotten into the drafts, I am looking for more regular game themes. These cross-company concepts seem rather random. While It could be set up as some cross-company Exiles draft, with each player being allowed to take only one character per publisher, there probably won't be much overlapping interst and everyone would get a team of their own chooising without much challenge. There'd no need to stretch it out over several rounds, everybody could just post their picks right away.
I think official signups should be in the actual draft threads. People can get lost easily when they sign up in a separate thread from the draft itself. I know, because once I signed up in the other "planning thread" but then almost got left out when I didn't also sign up in the draft thread itself.
I also think that the sign-ups should only occur in the actual draft threads, if for nothing else than timing. How would one even know that they will be able to participate when the specific dates haven't been set. It'll take months to play through all these drafts. That said, maybe some of the hosts would be willing to take note of people marking themselves as interested. Like you "sign up" to receive a PM alert a day or two in advance before the new draft thread opens, so that you won't miss it … all depending on wether a host would be willing to put in that extra effort.

BTW, Spectral - your latest cover in the Marvel/DC draft is awesome. I don't know the DC characters (except for Luzifer Morningstar thanks to the TV show), but just by looking at the characters you can't tell that they are from different companies and the cover gives a very good atmospheric feel of the content and theme of the comic. Granted, it's not a genre I'd be interested in, so I wouldn't buy the series, but it's great artistic work nonetheless.
Last edited by Lavettye on 12 Sep 2019, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
[PL_2.0]

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 11 Sep 2019, 21:40

I didn’t want each and every time a company crossover, maybe it sounded forced from my side, but once, twice a year?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Sep 2019, 21:42

I feel kind of bad, as I opened up the can of worms in the last Exiles draft. :P But hey, Star Wars IS technically a Marvel comic!

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 11 Sep 2019, 21:43

Anna Raven wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 21:42
I feel kind of bad, as I opened up the can of worms in the last Exiles draft. :P But hey, Star Wars IS technically a Marvel comic!
Yeeaahh, tell them!

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 11 Sep 2019, 23:47

Aside from the next draft being another Marvel and DC draft it looks like the next three following drafts will be Marvel specific. Unless Cable has some kind of crazy curveball on his.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Sep 2019, 00:32

There is a curveball coming but it will still be an X-Men only draft.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 13 Sep 2019, 23:42

@Magick84: I know we aren’t there yet, but can you give me a hint what X-Men Generations will be about?

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 14 Sep 2019, 06:53

This is how Magik84 decribed it in the old draft planning topic:
Magik84 wrote:
02 May 2019, 14:13
I've been thinking of a X-Men Generations Draft where the team has to be made up of a character introduced in different decade. Thought it could be interesting way of separating out the characters. It would be shorter than some others with 6 decades and a free agent round.
It's an intresting idea, as it will keep many characters often appearing together apart. (Scott and Jean, for example). I hope that this will not be done in a fixed decades order, so that everyone can decide for themselves from which era they want to pick in which round, as long as you pick from each era once.
[PL_2.0]

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 14 Sep 2019, 08:19

A, cool. Danke

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 14 Sep 2019, 19:40

Lavettye wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 06:53
This is how Magik84 decribed it in the old draft planning topic:
Magik84 wrote:
02 May 2019, 14:13
I've been thinking of a X-Men Generations Draft where the team has to be made up of a character introduced in different decade. Thought it could be interesting way of separating out the characters. It would be shorter than some others with 6 decades and a free agent round.
It's an intresting idea, as it will keep many characters often appearing together apart. (Scott and Jean, for example). I hope that this will not be done in a fixed decades order, so that everyone can decide for themselves from which era they want to pick in which round, as long as you pick from each era once.
Yeah the way I was thinking that people could pick from whatever decade they wanted in whatever order they want and overall should make for a more varied team, none of the classic teamups like Storm/Wolverine/Colossus/Nightcrawler.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 14 Sep 2019, 20:43

Could be a sexy going draft, when you add the First X-Men, and the Deadly Genesis team you have even more decades.