Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Betrayal Game: Discussion Thread

Want to invite new players to your role-playing game, or are you needing help starting a new one ? This is the place to talk about it.
MartijnB

Re: Betrayal Game: Discussion Thread

Post by MartijnB » 08 Oct 2017, 18:24

I'd be in!

unused_bagels

Post by unused_bagels » 19 Oct 2017, 01:37

Gibbering Fool wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 07:43
Ah the Betrayal Games. I was there at the begining, when they were a simple "name two suspects" then they evolved into role-playing games. I"d be in if they came back.
I liked it when it was like that, too, like a board game with minimal roleplaying. You could doll it up or dress it down as much as you liked. If I wanted full on RP I'd go to my site lol...

I came here to escape my own website XD
Eighty percent of the time, it works every time.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 19 Oct 2017, 06:24

unused_bagels wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 01:37
Gibbering Fool wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 07:43
Ah the Betrayal Games. I was there at the begining, when they were a simple "name two suspects" then they evolved into role-playing games. I"d be in if they came back.
I liked it when it was like that, too, like a board game with minimal roleplaying. You could doll it up or dress it down as much as you liked. If I wanted full on RP I'd go to my site lol...

I came here to escape my own website XD
I enjoyed it more once it became a role playing game lol but I'm easy with either approach really

unused_bagels

Post by unused_bagels » 30 Oct 2017, 17:23

Does anyone have the original rules posted anywhere?
Eighty percent of the time, it works every time.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 06 Dec 2017, 10:17

The original rules?
-a player is the killer and must attempt to kill everyone else’s character
-a new character is killed each round. A round consists of two-three days or until everyone has voted for Who they think is the killer, but that depends on the host. Votes for suspects can be done privately or publicly, depending on the host.
-The killer contacts the host before the next round goes up, telling them who they want the host to kill off next.
-once a character reaches the required amount of votes to force a revelation, they must declare their guilt or innocence. A revelation of innocence means that the killer gets an extra kill the next round.
-The host may choose to hand out a role called “paranoia kill”, where a player who is NOT the killer gets a one-shot role that allows them to kill the player that they suspect is the killer. If they guess incorrectly, they’re killed off in the next host post.
- the players win if they correctly identify the killer. The killer wins if they manage to eliminate everyone. The host wins by hosting a game that contains challenging clues, but is fair to both the killer and the players.
UNCANON WRITERS-- Kick me for feedback

"After all these years, how do you not instinctively fear me?" -- Veronica Mars

ev82

Post by ev82 » 03 Jan 2018, 05:05

I got out of playing because I felt I was expected to be more descriptive, give a better story and have better character voices; I'm just not nearly as creative as some of you guys. If we went back to OG BG expectations I would be in to play another one.
GOTG Draft:Polaris|Gladiator|Lilandra Neramani|Medusa|Korvus|Major Victory|Hepzibah|Irani Rael (Nova Corps)|Neutron
Nemeses: The Celestials

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 06 Jan 2018, 17:00

ev82 wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 05:05
I got out of playing because I felt I was expected to be more descriptive, give a better story and have better character voices; I'm just not nearly as creative as some of you guys. If we went back to OG BG expectations I would be in to play another one.
I think that got to be the problem with later games. Oftentimes it felt like players were focusing more on character building than solving the mystery. I’m not saying that’s wrong by any stretch, and I liked the games where players were given tasks to fulfil, and additional roles, but at the same time, it felt a little more like it was catering towards the players who were also members of THOI/Uncanon/fan-fic writers than it was towards players who just wanted to solve a mystery. I dunno. I can see both sides of the debate, and I think it’s the kind of game that automatically draws in people who have a slightly more creative streak than most, but I do think that the emphasis on character building/interaction was somewhat of a down-side to a lot of players, especially if another player interacts with your character without clearing it with you first and ends up losing your momentum in your own development

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 11 Jan 2018, 10:34

Can't we just, dunno, have an atmosphere where we all agree both being in it for the storytelling, AND being in it for the game, are perfectly fine?

That may be easier said then done, but I personally always loved these games and was perfectly fine with both takes. I myself really won't mind 1 player writing a bloody essay and the other dropping 2 or so lines in search for the killer. Boot does raise a fair point related to involving other players in your own story, maybe we'd need strict rules for that?

I'm in favour of giving these another go if others want to, I loved them.

Wings

Post by Wings » 11 Jan 2018, 14:17

Yeah, I seem to remember the rule being that you shouldn't involve another player's character unless you had that player's permission. You could have your player interact with other characters, but it's up to those players whether they want to respond or to ignore you.

As a player or as a moderator, I wouldn't expect other players to write more in their posts than they want to. If all you want to do in your post is write one line containing your votes, nobody should have a problem with that. Players bringing their own creativity to the story is great, and it's one of the aspects I enjoy as a player because I like writing, but a mod should be able to run a compelling game on their own even with minimal creative imput from the players. Like MartijnB, I think there's room for both playstyles.

Also, I'm absolutely still down to mod a back to basics game if we can drum up the interest.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 11 Jan 2018, 14:33

Wings wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 14:17

Also, I'm absolutely still down to mod a back to basics game if we can drum up the interest.
well with all the discussions going on here the last few months, maybe give it a go? arguably we should PM the people who have been discussing it, bagels notable played a big part here recently yet hasn't been online for a while I spotted :P

Wings

Post by Wings » 12 Jan 2018, 12:38

MartijnB wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 14:33
Wings wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 14:17

well with all the discussions going on here the last few months, maybe give it a go? arguably we should PM the people who have been discussing it, bagels notable played a big part here recently yet hasn't been online for a while I spotted :P
I'm going to give it a go. Expect a sign-up thread for 'Murder in Manhattan' within the next day or so.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Feb 2018, 18:26

I’ll throw my hat in the ring to host. It’s been a while...

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 06 Feb 2018, 11:47

me too! me too!