Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Original fiction

Where Creativity and Comics Collide, The main hangout to talk anything and everything to do with UnCanon.com!
Crutey Anth

Original fiction

Post by Crutey Anth » 01 Aug 2020, 12:36

Does anyone do any non-fan fic writing?

Where do you share it?

Red Strings

Re: Original fiction

Post by Red Strings » 01 Aug 2020, 15:20

I do! I don't really share it online though as of the current moment.

What genre do you write?

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 01 Aug 2020, 15:31

I write original work as well. I'm actually looking into getting an agent at the moment! But yeah, I also don't share my work online.

Red Strings

Post by Red Strings » 01 Aug 2020, 15:50

Ah Xtreme! Glad to see you're still writing too! It's been a long time (for both of you actually)

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 01 Aug 2020, 16:35

Same to you!

Honestly, I became a better writer because I learned so much from everyone's writings and feedback over the years.

Red Strings

Post by Red Strings » 01 Aug 2020, 17:18

I feel you there bruh. Literally I think I started writing on here when I was like thirteen/fourteen (maybe earlier) which was a scarily long time ago and I think I learnt a lot from everyone on here. Everyone was so supportive as well. Those were the days eh?

What's everyone writing?

I'm currently deep into a novel I've been planning for a depressingly long time (but nowhere near finished go figure) but I'm at a bit of a writers block right now so I'm delving into fanfiction again, to try and keep my creative juices flowing. The novel itself is, i dunno, a mix of Bret Easton Ellis, Haruki Murakami and Gabriel Garcia Marquez (magical realism) with a heavy focus on pop culture. I guess I'd call it surrealism/magical realism with sci-fi/fantasy elements.

Fanfiction wise, I'm weirdly into this rewrite of the marvel universe i started like, no joke, about 12 years ago. I've had the plans and I've just started like writing it. Currently on #3 and I'll probably post it at some point but I wanna get the first three arcs boxed off first so then, even if I do abandon it, it can read like a full story, i guess.

Red Strings

Post by Red Strings » 01 Aug 2020, 17:19

Oh and I tell a lie. I do have a writing tumblr where I occasionally (very) post short scenes.

thegreattwatsby.tumblr.com

I keep meaning to get back into it but I'm awful with regularity

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 03 Aug 2020, 07:08

I haven't written in over a year (maybe even 2 at this point) fan-fiction lost its luster for me after a bit. I keep having ideas for original short stories (generally horror/folklore inspiried...think Hellboy I suppose to bring it back to a shared reference). I imagine they'd be short stories rather than anything else.

I just need to get into gear and actually put 'pen to paper'. I saw a horror press looking for submissions in the next couple of months so thought I might give that a go.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Oct 2020, 11:24

So, I have two ideas, one is high fantasy, KIND of a take on a quasi Avatar the Last Airbender kind of vibe, set against the back drop of a time of peace after a HUGE civil war on one continent, and exploring trade between the second largest continent, where each of the countries are going to be a very distinct and deliberate “mash up” of various real-world countries and time periods (so, the Capital of the main continent is very much a culture-cross between Victorian London and Renaissance Venice, the capital of the second continent is kind of 1920’s New York meets modern day North Korea). I’m pretty far along in the planning stage of this one.

The second I have is one that’s been bugging me for almost a decade because it never seems to come out right when I’m writing it out. Basically it’s more of an urban fantasy set in the UK in present times— the difference being that WW2 was ended using magic to counter Hitler (who himself, was using dark magic to try and win). Basically, it’s revealed that all of our churches and cathedrals actually contain the mantle of an angel that sacrificed themselves to keep the human world protected against magical invasion from “the other side”, but in order to pull off the ritual that defeated the Axis, these mantles were used as the source of the spell... so, Britain now is very much unprotected and magic runs wild. Bigger towns and cities are protected by huge walls around them, but the consequence is that magic and the supernatural are now common knowledge, and a lot of the population have discovered that they have some kind of supernatural heritage— so while more people are finding they can use magic as a witch/wizard, there are also people who are discovering that their great grandma was descended from someone who could take the form of a Fox, and therefore they have that potential too, or that an ancestor somewhere along the family line had Fey blood and that’s why they’re far more attractive than average and can pretty much charm people with their voice.

The main character is a guy who’s father is a pretty powerful wizard and his mother was able to take the form of a hawk— the net effect being that he can “see” magic and can use enchanted items but can’t actually cast magic himself— and he’s basically a forensic investigator for magical crimes as a result of this.

There’s also a family who, since the dawn of time, have been given the responsibility of maintaining balance, a much harder job now that the UK has significantly weaker defences against supernatural attacks from outside of our dimension. Every generation of this family has twin boys, one able to use demonic magic, and one able to use angelic magic. These twins are destined to die at the exact same moment in each incarnation, which can’t happen until their successors are born— they’re functionally immortal until that time. Their younger sister is the one who gives birth to the next generation of twins, and the previous generation lose their immortality at the point that the next generation turn 18 and come into their powers.

As a consequence of the magical community being the ones who plunged the UK into this state of hiding behind walls, they signed a magically-binding contract that would prevent them from ever trying to take leadership of the country from government— they’re obviously mega influential in the defence of the country as well as culture in general, but they essentially realise that they have to accept that “winning the war” in this case doesn’t equate to being “heroes” due to the major changes in the way of life that was enforced as a consequence...

There are some major forces at play too— old Celtic gods that were previously unable to physically access the human world are now able to visit as they see fit, and are casually learning about human culture since their last visit (literally no plan to take over, they’re just curious). The UK is pretty much cut off from the rest of the world for fear that someone might somehow bring something back with them to their own country and cause a similar state there. There are schools and universities specifically set up for the study of the supernatural with humans and “others” alike being welcomed there (this isn’t a Hogwarts/Harry Potter thing, mostly because I’m not a thundering transphobe), but there are also smaller groups of younger magically inclined folk who think that they SHOULD be ruling the country and have a growing online presence, similar to Anonymous, only they call themselves “Hextivists”.

So that’s where I’m at 🤷‍♂️
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!