Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Spectral Knight Learns to Draw

Where Creativity and Comics Collide, The main hangout to talk anything and everything to do with UnCanon.com!
Spectral Knight

Re: Spectral Knight Learns to Draw

Post by Spectral Knight » 22 May 2020, 19:25

Okay, this might have been a step too far for my skill level but this was a more extreme take on perspective than Thanos, looking from above rather than from below at Thor hoisting Mjolnir aloft.

Instead it looks a bit like a dwarf :oops:
15901754683543109603276899817604.jpg
15901754683543109603276899817604.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 247 times
Really struggled with the right arm on this in terms of the effect of foreshortening on a limb that would be slightly bent by the weight of the hammer but still a recognisable feat of strength in lifting it above his head. I think maybe it should have been a lot closer to his head given that it is above.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 22 May 2020, 22:40

I like this a lot! I think he looks better than you think. He doesn't look short to me, I definitely get that it's an overhead shot. My one criticism is that his head seems off center, like it's off to his right (our left) just a bit. Before you go into inks, I would see if you can shift it over a bit. Also his thumb would probably be overlapping the fingers on his hammer-wielding hand, rather than tucked inside of them. Overall great job!
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 22 May 2020, 23:16

Yes, you got the main part of the exercise right. The perspective itself works, especially with the legs, the torso and the sizes of boths arms. Sure, the right arm could be lifted higher, especially when you move the head a bit over where it belongs, but IMO more important than further raising the arm would be to fix a "false" conncetion. You have two lines connecting the underside of his raised arms to his chest muscle, and if that were the case, he could never lower the arm. The underside of his arm should make its way to the armpit and connect to Thor's side... almost his back.
Attachments
thor.jpg
thor.jpg (138.61 KiB) Viewed 238 times
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 May 2020, 02:04

Anna - good point on the head. I don't think I can shift the head in the pencils, not because it wouldn't be the right thing to do, but only because by the time it got to this stage there was a LOT of construction lines (I did try to build up the head using the Loomis method...!)

Lavettye - you're right (again!). I think that is a fairly easy fix if I was inking by hand or digitally.

I think there's a few things to correct on this but you guys have given me the confidence to go on and ink this digitally as my pencil work is very heavy so corrections won't disguise the fixes even if I make liberal use of the eraser.

One more thing is having a fresh look (at nearly 3am, dammed insomnia) at is I might slightly rotate the hammer and holding hand on the wrist a little. Whilst there is a large degree of flexibility in the wrist, so it's not "wrong" I wonder if it's a bit more rotated so the hammer is closer to perpendicular to an imagined ground plane it might portray more of an element of strength and power in the hammer itself and give that more of the focus if you get me.

There's a lot of inking to do but I'll share two versions with and without a tweaked hammer before I start any colouring.

(Once I've inked a piece digitally I almost always want to jump straight into the colours so there's no question of ic I would colour it if I go through all that effort to digitally ink :lol:

Whilst there's obviously tonnes of B&W comics, part of the appeal to me is seeing them "finished" in the final rendering with all the tones in. B&W comics just feel incomplete even when drawn with the understanding there would be no colours)

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 May 2020, 03:10

Lavettye wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:37

-----

In other news: designing a costume is hard! Something that works in your mind, doesn't have to work on page, and the Polaris' re-design is giving me a hard time. Right now I just want to do a basic sketch of what the costume would look like, and I "cheated" by using a basic female body drawing that I found online to draw clothes onto. However I recognized too late that that image used Manga style proportions, so my models now have too big heads and eyes.... might have to re-do that.

Additionally, I had this idea of the center piece of the costume being a wide metallic belt that would emphasize the hour-glass figure but also look like a "throttle" or an "electric coil", as those happened to generate electromagnetism. I'm not sure it's working, though. I also borrowed some elements from Wanda's costume during the Crossing. Initially it was just to be the puffy sleeves, but then whenever I fixed something I didn't like, I ended up using more and more from that look (like bare shoulders and thigh-high boots). Also I'm still uncertain about the colors. The only combinations I see working are black and white, maybe with dark green involved too, or silver, black and purple.
Sorry realised I didn't give feedback on this, which is downright rude given how helpful you've been!

Yes, I can imagine designing a costume is very hard! I honestly wouldn't consider using an existing body pose as cheating, given what you're trying to do is closer to "fashion design".

In terms of generals, I would always try to say costumes should fit the character, whether it's power set or personality. Sounds obvious but sometimes artists really miss the mark on this. I also would argue than in most cases, costume design should build on the prior costume history when dealing with existing characters, for a few reasons. One is a sense of visual continuity in having a recognisable character, secondly it's much easier to build on something you like (or dislike) than from scratch. Even Ororo's transformation into punk Storm wasn't that dramatic in retrospect if you see it as still constructed from black leathers, and still giving her white hair prominence (going from being the flowing mass of the original design to the upright mohawk).

For Polaris herself though you have the issue you mentioned, she's not really had a defining look beyond her all green outfit, but her costume history is a hot mess.

I've never had the problem with thigh highs that some readers have, particularly if they're over tights/leggings but if you're pulling from Wanda's version I would reduce the flared tops of these, as this was (to me) a visual tie in to both more "Gypsy" as well as fantasy themed attire playing off her specific character, whereas Lorna's obviously not got that cultural heritage, so I would probably simplify that.

I'm struggling to visualise the belt, there's a few (different) things in my mind but I would be keen to see your ideas on this.

For her colour schemes, as her hair is bright green you don't really have a lot of choice. Purple is the obvious, but I've read on colour theory that traditionally the primaries of red, blue, gold are generally used for heroic schemes whilst secondaries (purples, greens, oranges) are typically for more villainous characters, or at least characters who are more "questionable" in their motivations, so think about the traits you want to pull from. If she's harder edged that might work, but if you do different green tones it'll soften her. I wouldn't go silver, black and purple myself as seems too many base colours, unless one of these is really pulled right back to almost a details accent.

I would probably suggest two green tones (one matching her hair which is her most prominent physical characteristic that you'll have to include anyway and a paler, more yellowish green as an accent, with black detailing which I would use to almost seperate the green tones so they are not directly against each other - layering of the greens would be fine (boots, gloves, jackets), but seam to seam on flat material could lose the distinction and end up blurring the colour tone.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 23 May 2020, 19:53

Spectral Knight wrote:
23 May 2020, 02:04
One more thing is having a fresh look (at nearly 3am, dammed insomnia) at is I might slightly rotate the hammer and holding hand on the wrist a little. Whilst there is a large degree of flexibility in the wrist, so it's not "wrong" I wonder if it's a bit more rotated so the hammer is closer to perpendicular to an imagined ground plane it might portray more of an element of strength and power in the hammer itself and give that more of the focus if you get me.
Had to look up what perpendicular means… in this case that would be rotating counter-clockwise, right? As you said, it isn't "wrong" either way, but if at all, I'd rotate it the other way, for the hammer handle to almost align with the shoulders. It probably depends on what you want to express. If Thor raised his hammer ready to attack or threaten someone, then it could go more upright, if this is Thor by himself, in awe or considering himself worthy enough to raise the hammer - which is what I got from him looking up to it - then it would be more organic to rotate it a little bit clockwise. The important half isn't the handle but the metal head, and it's harder for Thor to look at that end of the hamer the further it rotates above/behind his shoulder. (I actually just tried out this position, with a duster instead of a hammer… and hopefully, the neighbours across the street didn't see me do that :lol: )
Spectral Knight wrote:
23 May 2020, 03:10
Sorry realised I didn't give feedback on this, which is downright rude given how helpful you've been!
No problem, I didn't really expect any feedback yet, as I hadn't shown anything.

I know about the heroes usually wearing one or two primaries, with a few noteable exceptions such as She-Hulk, (green skin, mostly purple and white costumes) and this wouldn't really work for Lorna. I'm also not a big fan of clothes and hair colors matching, I never thought Crystal or Magma looked good in yellow/orange, and I also considered it a huge improvement when Firestar's costumes changed so that there was some other color besides red between her hair and the red areas on her costume.

Thinking about Crystal and her black and white Avengers re-design made lean a bit more into just various shades of grey, black, wihte and silver (for any metallic parts). There's already some contrast between pink skin and green hair, so you really can go down only either the green or the pink/purple route,... or colorless. But before I even try to color something, let me show you what I got:

Please don't laugh at #1 or #3, they were the first experiments, I did two different versions of the helmet, two sizes of puffy sleeves, and … I ended up with this cross of Magneto and a happy housewife (#3).
#2 and #4 were then based on that Scarlet Witch costume with bare shoulders & puffy sleeves. The lower arms aren't bare, but opera gloves reaching up to the metal ring. A metal Choker and a metal helmet didn't go well with each other, so I dropped the helmet and was unsure what to do below the belt. The upper rim of the #4's boots is supposed to be the same shape of the helmet ornament. Without color, these boots look a lot like Nocturne's Nightcrawler-based costume, and the top section is a bit like Blink from the Exiles. #2 somehow gives me double Psylocke vibe, British one top half, Asian one lower half.

#5 is the first and the last design, initially I started with the metal braces on the arms, but then thought those, the helmet and the belt would be too much metal. Not that happy with the other designs, though, I went back to this, and combined it with parts of the most bearable X-Factor costume. The arms are bare skin, and on the face is a partial mask in the darker color of the two to be used on the basic costume.

I think it's a bit irritaing that the metal parts, due to the gray shading, now look darker then everything else, whereas in a colored version, those would be bright white/silver, and the rest of the suits in other colors.
Attachments
five.jpg
five.jpg (259.72 KiB) Viewed 213 times
[PL_2.0]

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 23 May 2020, 23:32

Here's the last one in different color schemes… I guess neither of those is truly iconic either.
four.jpg
four.jpg (300.2 KiB) Viewed 202 times
[PL_2.0]

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 24 May 2020, 08:05

I REALLY love that second one, although the purple one is also not bad! The black ones are really good too tbh, I just never much liked the X-Men black leather look. It would be good if she was on X-Force though.

My ONE minor critique would just be that her metal belt is pretty tall and covers the exact area one really needs to have some flexibility in the midsection. I would make it thinner and lower on the waist.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 24 May 2020, 21:57

Lavettye wrote:
23 May 2020, 19:53
Spectral Knight wrote:
23 May 2020, 02:04
Had to look up what perpendicular means… in this case that would be rotating counter-clockwise, right? As you said, it isn't "wrong" either way, but if at all, I'd rotate it the other way, for the hammer handle to almost align with the shoulders. It probably depends on what you want to express. If Thor raised his hammer ready to attack or threaten someone, then it could go more upright, if this is Thor by himself, in awe or considering himself worthy enough to raise the hammer - which is what I got from him looking up to it - then it would be more organic to rotate it a little bit clockwise. The important half isn't the handle but the metal head, and it's harder for Thor to look at that end of the hamer the further it rotates above/behind his shoulder. (I actually just tried out this position, with a duster instead of a hammer… and hopefully, the neighbours across the street didn't see me do that :lol: )
No, I actually meant to rotate clockwise a little so the handle follows the line of the floor and shoulders, not the hammer head, so think we're in agreement :)

(Inking this is taking it's time so no update on this piece today!)
Lavettye wrote:
23 May 2020, 19:53
Spectral Knight wrote:
23 May 2020, 03:10
No problem, I didn't really expect any feedback yet, as I hadn't shown anything.

I know about the heroes usually wearing one or two primaries, with a few noteable exceptions such as She-Hulk, (green skin, mostly purple and white costumes) and this wouldn't really work for Lorna. I'm also not a big fan of clothes and hair colors matching, I never thought Crystal or Magma looked good in yellow/orange, and I also considered it a huge improvement when Firestar's costumes changed so that there was some other color besides red between her hair and the red areas on her costume.

Thinking about Crystal and her black and white Avengers re-design made lean a bit more into just various shades of grey, black, wihte and silver (for any metallic parts). There's already some contrast between pink skin and green hair, so you really can go down only either the green or the pink/purple route,... or colorless. But before I even try to color something, let me show you what I got:

Please don't laugh at #1 or #3, they were the first experiments, I did two different versions of the helmet, two sizes of puffy sleeves, and … I ended up with this cross of Magneto and a happy housewife (#3).
#2 and #4 were then based on that Scarlet Witch costume with bare shoulders & puffy sleeves. The lower arms aren't bare, but opera gloves reaching up to the metal ring. A metal Choker and a metal helmet didn't go well with each other, so I dropped the helmet and was unsure what to do below the belt. The upper rim of the #4's boots is supposed to be the same shape of the helmet ornament. Without color, these boots look a lot like Nocturne's Nightcrawler-based costume, and the top section is a bit like Blink from the Exiles. #2 somehow gives me double Psylocke vibe, British one top half, Asian one lower half.

#5 is the first and the last design, initially I started with the metal braces on the arms, but then thought those, the helmet and the belt would be too much metal. Not that happy with the other designs, though, I went back to this, and combined it with parts of the most bearable X-Factor costume. The arms are bare skin, and on the face is a partial mask in the darker color of the two to be used on the basic costume.

I think it's a bit irritaing that the metal parts, due to the gray shading, now look darker then everything else, whereas in a colored version, those would be bright white/silver, and the rest of the suits in other colors.
On to my feedback on your designs...

All have fairly good parts to them but my favourite is the one you went with, as the vertical lines helped lengthen the body where as the others make Polaris look quite broad with the coil belt. Though I do like the neck / chest detail on 3...! I would have liked to see 5 with a narrower version of this from 3 as I think it would've combined well with the ribbing of the Magneto like detailing of the boots and gloves as a subtle nod to Mag's. I would end the linear separation of colours in the legs at the top of the boot line though, keeping all of that section underneath the silver boot details a solid colour of either of the two main colours as it looks a little fiddly like that to me and simplifying this would make them look a bit more like a solid knee high boot with detail rather than an ankle high boot with bracing above, if that makes sense.

Colour wise, the green and white and silver is far ahead of the other combos. 3 and 4 are very X-Force and might be an interesting colour swap should Polaris ever join but neither are lead looks. I really don't like the purple and lavender combo.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 24 May 2020, 22:39

The green/white (actually a very pale light green) ended up being my favorite as well despite what I said earlier, though I made sure that the costume and the hair are very different shades of green. The mid grey/light grey I like second best. The only aspect I like about the grey/black one is that it makes the metal elements really pop. The purple one I did just for completeness.

That's a good points about the boot color, I'll use the darker color to fill out the entire boot area. Doing that will also create another "circle" - the dark green going up one side of the body, around the face as the mask, down on the other side and then connect at the feet,

You're both right about the belt, I already decreased it during designs (#2 and #5 of the b&w versons have the smaller version), but it's still too massive and sitting a bit too high. When I'll go about fixing that, I will also try out a metal band in the neck area, though I suspect that this will disrupt the mask/costume connection too much. It's still worth a try. After all, what this has proven so far is that envisioning it in my mind only works to some Degree. In order to truly get a feel for the look, I have to see it on paper/the screen.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 26 May 2020, 10:54

Okay, so this took absolutely ages and there's bits I'm not overly happy with but I'm getting bored working on just the inks and want to give it some colour, but before I draw in the lightning effect and then sort out colours, I wanted to get your views on what angle the hammer looks better at:

Original angle
thor-digital-inks.jpg
thor-digital-inks.jpg (415.59 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Rotated angle
thor-digital-inks-rotated-hammer.jpg
thor-digital-inks-rotated-hammer.jpg (426.91 KiB) Viewed 152 times

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 26 May 2020, 11:20

I think the rotated one looks better, as the hammerhead partially covering the helmet wing adds to the 3D effect.

Thor and hammer form "a unit", as there is an invisible straight line (of sight), connecting the hammer inscription, the helmet wing, the right chest ornament, the narrower, longer part of the loincloth and his left foot. In the original image I first notice the hammer and then a split second later Thor holding it. In the new one, I see both at the same time.

Great fix of the armpit!
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 26 May 2020, 11:38

Cool - there is actually a couple of missed bits on the inks I only noticed on upload (always the way...!) but there should be a little more shading on the shirt bit just under his arm-pit!

I'll probably start colours this evening on this.

(The inscription was a very late addition - but I think it looks okay - in an ideal world I would've used a Nordic font, but looking through comic references there's massive inconsistencies with what it should look like)

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 26 May 2020, 13:17

Although you specifically asked only for advice regarding the hammer, it'd be a shame to let you put much effort into coloring the image without alerting you to a potential other fix. Obviously, the head/face is the weak point of the drawing. While you seem to have managed to get the head a bit better centered during inks, there's still the matter of the face.

There is a size discrepancy between the eyes and the mouth. Yours are all the same size, when actually an eye is closer to being about half to 2/3 of a mouth. I wondered if the difference was due to perspective, like the eyes being closer to the viewer and thus looking bigger, but the natural pose would be for Thor to slightly lean back his head while looking up, so face and eyes are again the same distance. So, I just fiddled a little with the stupid Paint program on my work PC.... the lines aren't clean or anything, but if you decrease the eyes to 75-80% of their current size, and then take away a small section on each temple to function as the helmet's inside (much of which would be covered in shade) you get something like this:
Attachments
thor-face.jpg
thor-face.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 138 times
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 May 2020, 17:28

I wasn't being rude, and I tried to include that suggestion pre-colouring but not sure if the eyes are still too big?

Two versions - one just coloured, and I have done one with some lightning, rain and background clouds as if it was a fully rendered scene.
thor-digital-colours.jpg
thor-digital-colours.jpg (623.69 KiB) Viewed 120 times
thor-digital-colours-with-lightning.jpg
thor-digital-colours-with-lightning.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 120 times

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 27 May 2020, 18:07

The colors are awesome - especially the light effect on the hair and the cape, and the lightning bolts themselves too. It's not just their coloring, but also how you positioned them, with a bigger bundle of bolts around the hammer and the big hand, covering some lines, but leaving enough to understand the underlying structure.

The face is also a lot better now, and this eye/mouth & nose ratio works. Of course you now have another "problem" namely the space between the eye and the temple being too wide. Actually if you look at a face from upfront, the widest section is the cheeck, and in your drawing, the widest part is at the eyesockets (that the correct word?). That's why I suggested taking the temples a bit it. I thonk, though that we partially misunderstood each other, as I thought this was a different kind of helmet.

The ink lines on your cheeks are a bit thicker than those of the facual features and they contain a sharp angle, making me assume that those were part of a helmet, which is not just a "hat" as you now colored it, but has additional metal parts on the sides of the head that go around to the front and partially cover the cheek. Like this helmet here:
https://assets.dragoart.com/images/1195 ... 80_3_4.gif
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 May 2020, 19:14

Thanks for the compliments on the colours. I wasnt sure if the bolts worked, and had drawn more basic bolts first, but they looked a bit weird and flat which is why I went for a less comic-ish look to the bolts. I wasn't sure if it was too much of a contrast.
Lavettye wrote:
27 May 2020, 18:07

Of course you now have another "problem" namely the space between the eye and the temple being too wide. Actually if you look at a face from upfront, the widest section is the cheeck, and in your drawing, the widest part is at the eyesockets (that the correct word?). That's why I suggested taking the temples a bit it. I thonk, though that we partially misunderstood each other, as I thought this was a different kind of helmet.

The ink lines on your cheeks are a bit thicker than those of the facual features and they contain a sharp angle, making me assume that those were part of a helmet, which is not just a "hat" as you now colored it, but has additional metal parts on the sides of the head that go around to the front and partially cover the cheek. Like this helmet here:
https://assets.dragoart.com/images/1195 ... 80_3_4.gif

I've been looking at facial proportions and according to the Loomis model (see Anna, I do listen!) in most cases the broadest part of the face is the top of the cheekbone followed by the brow line and the cheeks actually taper from the cheekbones down towards the jaw line.

I think with the line weight of the cheekbones it emphasises the eye socket too much, as they're not actually much difference in real widths but look far narrower, giving an almost skeletal look :lol:

What I have done also is dirt of merged the eye socket into the cheekbone structure without differentiating between the two where it should come out slightly from the socket to the cheekbone :oops:

I actually think a lot of that socket/ cheekbone structure could've been carried by the colouring (it would look flat at the ink stage though) as unless you've got a really gaunt face there's not really such a tonal shift in shade on the face to warrant such dark lines.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 May 2020, 00:50

Yes his face does look a tad skeletal and gaunt. You could either erase the ink lines that you have outlining his cheekbones and just emphasize the plane changes with your colors, or you could make them a tad less pronounced and instead of curving upward and then sharply dipping down, just have a small curve that tapers off and then a separate line for the jawline. I'll try to do a paint-over a little later.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 28 May 2020, 09:29

Does this look any better? Still tried to keep a chiselled angular look but much less gaunt.
thor-digital-colours-with-lightning-face-correction.jpg
thor-digital-colours-with-lightning-face-correction.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 93 times
EDIT - I'm going to be doing some pencil head sketches later today - it's been less than a week since I finished the Thor pencils, but it seems like ages ago. The problem with digital art is that it's so much slower :lol:
I don't think these will be worth sharing at all, but they'll serve as practise until I'm more confident at drawing heads.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 May 2020, 14:56

Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to describe. That looks way, way better in my opinion!

It's funny you find the pencil sketches to be faster than the digital! I usually find it the other way around! Unless maybe you mean your pencils go much faster just because they are usually rough thumbnails, and you are actually spending time refining your work when using digital tools, in which case that makes sense, but I bet you are actually saving time going digital than if you were trying to say ink your work traditionally with pen nibs and India Ink.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 28 May 2020, 15:49

When I ink 'traditionally' - it's with fine-liner pens / brush-pens (a cheap crap brand bought on Amazon, but there is quite a variety in thicknesses in the set, ranging from 0.05mm to 0.8mm, plus the brush) rather than the real old-school dipped nib pen/brushes, but they're a doddle to use, though they need a different sort of patience in being careful not to make mistakes.

I think it's when I'm inking digitally, I spend so much more time on each line, and changing the curves of each etc. There's also a weird issue I find where looking at my physical pencils I can clearly see my 'preferred' lines, rather than the construction lines, but looking at these on screen (after a crap mobile photo admittedly) this differentiation gets flattened, so I'm having to look on-screen and at my pencils at the same time rather than just the one reference- if that makes sense? Plus rather than brushing in black blocks, I tend to convert to live paint on a duplicated layer, and then fill gaps, but that can take time if I've not extended paths (or lines to anyone who's not familiar with Illustrator reading this!) right to the edge of another line.

I guess if I was using a pressure sensitive Wacom I'd save a lot of that time rather than every line being added by mouse (and curve/weight adjusted), but I don't think I'm anywhere near good enough to justify that investment yet, and when I do, it'll probably need a bit more of a re-learning to ink in that style too - I guess it's half way between the fluidity of pens vs the control/flexibility of mouse-driven inks to fix errors. When you're working digitally do you use a Wacom or do you just go at it with a mouse?

I don't ever do the 'pencil' stage digitally though - all my initial drawings are in real pencil. If I do end up getting a Wacom I might try that, as I can imagine that would be quicker, but as I'm still building on (very basic) fundamentals pencils are still the way to go for me at the moment.

And for colour - I'm just MUCH more comfortable in Photoshop than getting watercolours or inks out. Like by a country mile, blends are much easier digitally. I'd never have been able to do that lightning effect in trad colouring, because of the layering and custom brushes involved.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 May 2020, 16:10

Oh yeh now I see. You definitely need a tablet. It makes things so much easier and faster.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 29 May 2020, 08:20

Yeah, but they're also pretty pricey ;)

(I've also got to keep in mind that when I am asked to go back to the office rather than working from home I'm going to have a lot, lot less time for drawing/art.)

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 29 May 2020, 10:48

Spectral Knight wrote:
29 May 2020, 08:20
Yeah, but they're also pretty pricey ;)
*cough* wedding gift *cough*
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 29 May 2020, 11:05

If I ask the fiancee to put it on her list because of the peace and quiet it gives her when I'm working away....hmm... not a bad idea! Though we do want cash for wedding gifts so we can actually afford a honeymoon, assuming international travel is back to normal next year.