unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

New Genesis

Where Creativity and Comics Collide, The main hangout to talk anything and everything to do with UnCanon.com!
Wings

New Genesis

Post by Wings » 11 Mar 2018, 13:31

So I've thinking about undertaking a new project lately, that would revolve around a different team spinning out of the events of Krakoa and Second Genesis. Basically, some of those who stayed with the team would leave, and some of those who left would opt to stay. The All New All Different era is such a pivotal one when it comes to the formation of the most enduring connections in the X-Verse that I'm really interested in investigating what would change if mixed up the team that was going through the trials and tribulations of that era.

So, I have an idea as to who I would choose for a lineup, but as a fun little game I'd love to see what sorts of teams others would put together if they were tackling this idea, before I reveal it. I'm not planning on using any of the Deadly Genesis group, but they'd be up for selection as well. So the choices would be:
Cyclops, Marvel Girl (Jean Grey), Angel, Beast, Iceman,
Polaris, Havok, Vulcan, Sway, Petra, Darwin, Wolverine, Storm, Banshee, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Thunderbird, Sunfire

Compared to the actual ANAD team of:
Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Banshee, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Thunderbird later joined by Jean Grey as Phoenix after the death of Thunderbird
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

grief

Re: New Genesis

Post by grief » 11 Mar 2018, 18:13

Well, I've got a love of love and fan-ideas for the DG group (as seen in my fanfic misseDirections - available on Uncanon!), but I'm going to switch up things.

Cyclops and Marvel Girl leave. Having failed against Krakoa, Scott is undergoing a crisis of leadership and doesn't think he can lead the team. Jean goes with him and together they try to live normal lives. Angel becomes the new team leader (remember, he attempted to be a super-hero before being an X-Man, so he clearly has some get-up-and-go to him, it's just a matter of tempering his arrogance) and, of course, clashes with Wolverine and Havok (who wants to be team leader with Scott gone). Nightcrawler, Colossus, Beast, Polaris, Storm, and Sway would round out my main cast. I would most likely touch upon the characters who didn't stay in longer arcs. I made sure to keep Storm, Polaris, and Sway because this team needs more lady power and the three of them are super powerful, with lots of untapped potential, and I think it'd be fun to build them up this early in their careers. Nightcrawler is both stealth and fun, Colossus is - of course - the strong guy with the heart of an artist, while Beast is the science guy. I'd also like to see Polaris in a new relationship, as I'm sick to death of her and Havok being tied at the hip, but I'm not sure what I would do with that.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Wings

Post by Wings » 12 Mar 2018, 00:12

I've read the first issue of misseDirections, I really liked the avenue you took there, along with the surprise inclusion of Sage and Pyro into the mix.

Have to say, I read Deadly Genesis very shortly after I got into reading X-Men comics, and aside from the annoyance of discovering there was an Irishman amongst the X-Men in Banshee only to have him be immediately killed off by Vulcan, the fact that Petra and Sway didn't survive was probably the most frustrating element of that story for me, given they were the two of the DG crew that I found most interesting, so I like the inclusion of Sway in your version of the team, grief.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Mar 2018, 13:38

Okay, so, I’d totally have a three way split.

The O5+Havok and Polaris are HORRIFIED at the lengths that Xavier would go to in order to save them, but Beast understands and tries to be the middleman, telling Xavier that he understands why he did it, that he appreciates having his life saved, but that it leaves some serious trust issues laying in the open. Beast, Jean and Cyclops stay.

The deadly genesis team are devastated that Xavier was just going to have them erased from memory. Vulcan is the only one who stays.

The all-new, all-different team are torn. Wolverine, in a weird way, almost respects Xavier’s callousness to get the job done. Storm’s made hard choices in terms of which areas to save and which to sacrifice whilst being a “goddess” in Africa. Sunfire’s just over it. Colossus has no desire to be part of something like this, it contrasts harshly with Nightcrawler’s faith, Thunderbird is annoyed that he wasn’t the obvious first choice of a rescue team. Banshee thinks someone needs to keep an eye on the younger members of the team. Storm and Wolverine stay.

Banshee takes Darwin, Petra and Sway to Muir along with Havok and Lorna. Colossus and Nightcrawler join them and form a team that’s primarily about the protection and training of young Mutants in how to use their powers responsibly. Moira’s understandably livid about Charles’ actions.

Meanwhile, Scott, Jean and Beast make Xavier agree that they’ll share leadership of the team, with Xavier literally taking ownership of training and that’s all. He doesn’t get to say who is or isn’t on the team, and he doesn’t get to assign missions. He’s the coach, they’re the team captains. They’re all determined to keep one another honest and act as democratic leaders of the team. Scott acts as field leader, Jean monitors and maintains morale, whilst Beast basically makes sure that everyone’s training safely and understand the limits and scope of their powers. They continue to have adventures and act as the public face of the X-Men, alongside Storm, Wolverine and Vulcan.

Iceman and Angel go on to join the Avengers.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

grief

Post by grief » 12 Mar 2018, 23:39

@Wings - misseDirections cast gets weirder the deeper you go. ; ) I kept Sway around cuz I feel like her powers are really interesting. Outside of Tempus during Bendis' pretty crap run, we've never seen an X-Man with the ability to manipulate time. I've seen some Darwin since, I've seen some Vulcan, I've seen earth manipulators before in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I would want to go somewhere new.

@das - I like the idea of a Moira based team. I think it would be interesting to see how Moira would handle the team becoming more and more what the X-Men are; not because that's their goal, but simply because it's an extension of responsible power usage. I also like the balance of experienced characters (Banshee, Havok, Polaris) with inexperienced characters (DG kids + Colossus and Nightcrawler). I also think it'd be neat to see how Vulcan would interact with Scott, given how little Scott reacted to Vulcan's existence.

Regarding Iceman and Angel: At least it ain't the Champions. >.<
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Mar 2018, 01:14

@Grief- if I were to write this? I’d have Moira’s team become Xavier’s actual dream, whilst the mansion-based team would be the team that seemingly stay as the counter-terrorist/hate-crime-fighting team... and Iceman and Angel to bridge the gap between Avengers and X-Men
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 13 Mar 2018, 12:48

Honestly, there would have been potential in moving Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch over to the x-franchise at this point, I find.

I wouldn't touch deadly genesis because I just hate that story :P I am perfectly fine with Darwin, Petra and Sway as individual characters (not Vulcan!) and Sway has interesting powers, true.

For maximum "what if" value I'd almost say lets explore what happens if Sunfire, Thunderbird and Banshee had been the story's breakout characters over Wolverine, Storm, Colossus and Nightcrawler.

Put Jean there as team leader, the time was right for a big female leader, as proven by Storm later, lets see how well Jean would have done.

I'm not doing as much storytelling as others here in this topic but I just don't have a strong story on the shelf here, but what I will give is my final team of Jean, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Sunfire, Thunderbird and Banshee!

Replace Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch with Havok and Polaris if I really am to be limited to your shortlist.

grief

Post by grief » 13 Mar 2018, 21:05

I like the idea of pulling Pietro and Wanda in here, that's a slick move.

Wings

Post by Wings » 01 May 2018, 09:03

I'm not sure whether I should reveal my lineup in advance or whether I should write the first issue first...

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 02 May 2018, 11:52

honestly whatever you feel most comfortable with... although if you think you can write the first issue on a short notice I say go for that, creates some suspense

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 May 2018, 17:22

If I were to write mine, I think I’d set it up in such a way that one of Cyclops’ caveats for Xavier staying is that he does what he did with the Deadly Genesis team, but with Jean. Scott doesn’t want Jean limited in terms of her powers and wants her on a level-pegging with Charles so that he can’t pull any telepathic shenanigans on the team. Jean wouldn’t love this, but she’d see where Scott’s coming from. It would 100% drive a wedge between them, Jean arguing that it shows that Scott’s prime concern is for the team to work, and not for her physical and mental well-being. Beast would be conscious that his friends are out-stripping him in terms of development and in a team of people with “flashier” powers, he’d kind of feel like he was almost being relegated to the bottom of the roster.