Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Batman

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
Cable

Batman

Post by Cable » 08 Jan 2017, 16:04

Anyone else finish the new Batman game from Telltale Games? Excellent work as always from them. Interesting mix of influences in their interpretation (definitely some Morrison.) I love that the game has as much focus on Bruce Wayne as it does Batman. I really like the moments when it lets you choose which you will be when you approach certain situations.

I do feel though that the story isn't quite as strong as some of their other games and I think it is because of the source. That is in Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, or Tales from Borderlands they used mostly characters of their own creation with guest stars from the properties. This allowed a great deal of freedom, while in Batman they must use all established characters. They still put their own spin on them and manage to make it quite good. But it does make me wonder how they will do on Guardians of the Galaxy in which I think they will have even less flexibility.

Regardless I recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played it, even if you aren't a Batman fan (which I don't really consider myself. I don't read the comics or see the movies in theaters.)
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Re: Batman

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Jan 2017, 23:15

I'm about halfway through it. I'm not really enamored so far. The story is ok, but compared to the other games of theirs I've played, The Wolf Among Us and Game of Thrones, I'd say it's the weakest one so far. And I really don't care for what they've done with some of the characters. Obviously I still need to finish the game, and I'll also avoid spoilers for now, so for now I'll just talk about Penguin.

I don't understand this trend lately of turning him into a thin, good-looking guy. Gotham started it, but this game takes it one step further down that road. It's kind of disturbing to me, they had a very very distinctive character, visually, being a little roly-poly guy with a giant hooked nose, and they've decided they now want him to look completely normal. I'm kind of embarrassed for them about it to be honest.

Look, I enjoy a good "retelling" of a classic story. I really enjoyed Ultimate Marvel. And I thought the Arkham Games did a pretty good job of reinventing characters but keeping them somewhat classic as well. But with Penguin they've only succeeded in making him more boring. At least in my mind.

And the choices in this game, are the worst kind of choices for a Batman game. In Wolf Among Us and Game of Thrones, the choices felt meaningful, and made a lot of sense considering the source material. But the problem with the choices in the Batman game are very reflective of the problem with Batman in general now a days. No matter what you do in this game, you are pretty much only given choices to either do a bad thing, or do a worse thing, there are no truly heroic choices. Well, believe it or not some of us still consider Batman to be a hero. It would be nice, for example, if when questioning a thug, if you didn't feel like breaking the guy's arm was the "good option". And there are all these paths for Bruce Wayne where it pushes him to do dirty things. DC has been taking Batman down a darker and darker road to the point where pretty soon he's going to be indistinguishable from the Punisher. I like the Punisher, but he's a different character. He's broken. There's no redemption for him. He's not a hero. Batman should be a hero. Telltale isn't the only DC property making this colossal error with Batman obviously (BvS being the epitome) but they are definitely furthering the trend.

If the choices had been more diverse, I'd have been more ok with it. Like if there was a truly heroic vs. dark version you could play. But everything seems to be "dark vs. darker" in this game.

Maybe I need to finish the game, maybe there's something that happens later that would turn things around, but after 2 and a half chapters so far, my motivation to play has just kind of been sapped.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Cable

Post by Cable » 09 Jan 2017, 01:22

For those that haven't played I'll try to put spoiler tags where appropriate. But if you intend to play you should do it and come back later to discuss because a game like this isn't enjoyed much for the gameplay, it is for the narrative and choices and you need to avoid spoilers to really get the experience. Don't tempt yourself lol. It is a good game and you should try it.

I can see what you mean about it being dark. I didn't really mind it because I think I was playing my Batman as someone approaching that line without crossing it (not killing, but not being above some torture to get what you need). The game was always going to be grim when you consider the main plot point is
Spoiler: show
throwing Thomas Wayne under the bus. But you are right they could have given you an even greater chance to draw a contrast with the man your father was rather than just trying to play with the idea you might not be so great either.
I don't think that inner conflict was what they wanted to focus on for whatever reason though, it was the interpersonal relationships. How things are between you and Selina or Harvey or Alfred or to a lesser extent Gordon/Oswald/Vicki are where most of the choice lies.

I can see what you mean about Oswald, though I did like the mask they designed for him. It seemed menacing. The only reason I can think they made him good-looking is to try to further a comparison between him and Wayne. There are several points where they make the two reflect each other; I won't mention them all because some come after the mid-point and I don't know exactly how far you are but from the origin you of course are both orphans of wealthy families who were friends and then
because of the actions of the Waynes you two end up going completely different ways.
So it makes sense from a thematic standpoint, although perhaps they could have went for a different emotional impact if he was more pathetic than he was and was the more sniveling roly-poly guy and you just felt bad for what happened. It is harder to feel bad for the arrogant prick Oswald.

I am curious about what you decided to do in the episode 2 finale decision (if anyone hasn't played, seriously gtfo):
save Harvey or save Selina?
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 09 Jan 2017, 04:09

Ok so I chose:
To save Harvey, which I know from the Crowdplay feature was the unpopular one. But I'd just invested so much into Harvey, including Bruce's reputation, and soiling myself with Falcone, that I couldn't let all that go to waste. Plus this guy is going to be the "savior of Gotham" while Selena is a jewel thief. And then lastly I thought maybe Selena could take care of herself, or was better equipped to anyway.
If this was the only Batman storyline exploring how dark he can be, maybe I would be more ok with it. But like I said it's an overall trend with Batman these days. So I think I'm pretty much done with Batman, except Lego Batman, until D.C. swings the other way again.

Regarding Penguin again, they had a villain they could have used that seemed to fit his backstory and motivations better, so I don't know why they didn't use him, unless some higher up said, "oh no you need to use a bigger name villain, use Penguin instead." But to me they could have easily used
Hush
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian