Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Final Fantasy XV

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
EphemeristX

Final Fantasy XV

Post by EphemeristX » 23 Nov 2016, 05:34

Now one week away, Final Fantasy XV is coming out November 29th in the US. Anybody picking this up? I am. I'm so, so hyped. I know I should be a little wary as the XIII series wasn't a highlight, but man, does this game look good. I even did the horrible thing and preordered it (because Amazon offers a pretty hefty preorder discount on it and I couldn't pass it up).

Apparently, the game leaked early some places and people are spouting spoilers, so I'm trying to be super careful even though I'm hungrily lapping up any (official) info that's been coming out. No comments sections, for one. No random Youtube browsing either.

I've been a FF fan since VI, the last one to come out for the SNES in the US (still one of my top FFs along with VII and Tactics), and I want this to be good so badly. I wasn't initially sold on the brotastic roadtrip storyline with no playable female charactes, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because of the seeming depth of the characters they do have.

Anyway, thoughts? Hopes? Dreams? Fears?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Gremlin

Re: Final Fantasy XV

Post by Gremlin » 23 Nov 2016, 10:33

I have been waiting for this game for about 10 years now. I have it pre-ordered but I am out of the country until mid-Dec so I will have to wait till then to play it.

FF10 was my gateway drug to the series and I have enjoyed the others too. FF12 I loved the gameplay but the characters and story were dull. FF13 I loved the characters and story but the linear nature of the game sucked the fun out of the series for me.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 23 Nov 2016, 16:29

It would be great if Final Fantasy could recapture the magic of the older entries in the series. I was a pretty big fan of the series through 12. Came on at 7, went back and devoured 6 (the best of series) and played/beat most of the rest of the series from 1-12.

Unfortunately, as I got older I found the JRPG more of a boring waste of time with cut scenes not nearly as impressive now that all games look beautiful. I hope this one turns opinion around and we see a return to some of the JRPGs in the gaming hall of fame (I would literally mess my pants if they made a new Chrono Trigger game).

Also I'm hoping the game ports to the Nintendo Switch because I have no interest in buying a PS4.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 30 Nov 2016, 17:56

Oh god, I'm so paranoid about reading spoilers. I'm basically on super-high alert mode over here. Not reading comments sections, being super careful about any articles (as soon as I even see mention of FFXV I scroll away). I should be getting it tomorrow. I can't believe it's really about to be here.

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 01 Dec 2016, 02:21

Please let me know what you guys think when you get it. Ive loved final fantasy for years and have beaten the first 10 installments but i felt the magic was lost after that. This one looks really interesting so im willing to give it a try, especially if you guys like it.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 02 Dec 2016, 18:20

Well, I'm enjoying it so far. There's a direct linear progression for those who want that, but there are so many side-quests (monster hunting, fetch quests, item gathering, mini-games, etc) that you can spend tons of time just running around doing whatever. The combat took me about ten minutes to really get the rhythm of, and I still get caught because sometimes the targeting isn't as good as it should be at that pace (mainly when you need to warp out of the fray to recuperate). Or maybe I'm just not good, haha.

I'm really enjoying the four core guys but I'm side-eyeing them a little bit over the women in this game. We'll see how things progress, though; I've only really met one (four if you count the Kingsglaive movie). Which is, in and of itself, a problem.

"I've got it!" "Got what?" "A new recipeehh" -- Ignus kills me. Also, the food looks super delicious in this game. For real.

After 2 and a half hours or so, I found myself really getting into the flow of the game. One of the best parts is camping for the night. You level up, eat something (and get bonuses for the next day), check the photos that Prompto took (they comment on the more memorable ones) and save your favorites, get a scene or two of them goofing off, and occasionally get a character beat in a night-time cut scene. It really breaks up the game into nice little chunks.

All in all, I'm really happy with the game, but I haven't yet hit that moment of awe. I'm super early, though.

And watch Kingsglaive. It informs so much of what happens in the beginning.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Dec 2016, 15:35

Oh wow. This game is an emotional gut punch. I'm shocked.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 14 Dec 2016, 15:41

How is everyone enjoying it? No spoilers please as I will be finally able to start playing tomorrow when I get home from a long trip away. I have read reviews and they seem very positive.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Dec 2016, 16:23

I'm really enjoying it so far. Before you play, watch Kingsglaive and the Brotherhood anime series. They fill in the gaps in what can otherwise be a somewhat confusing story.

Don't do all the sidequests, though. Just don't.

Also, DON'T LOOK AT YOUTUBE STUFF. I'm not quite finished yet and I'm still being super cautious. FFVII was spoiled for me in an official strategy guide of all things. The devastation. Don't let it happen to you!

EDIT: Okay, so I just finished it. Don't tell anybody, but I actually cried. So awesome.