Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Telltale Games' Guardians of the Galaxy

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
EphemeristX

Telltale Games' Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Nov 2016, 05:28

*runs in, out of breath*

You guys! Look!

Telltale Games Secret Marvel Project Revealed

Revealed during the SAG strike, this game was listed among a bunch of others as ones whose deals have not been settled yet.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Re: Telltale Games' Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by Cable » 14 Nov 2016, 11:33

Not at all the Marvel Project I was expecting them to be working on :/
This makes me less excited but then again didn't expect Tales from the Borderlands to be good and it was excellent so maybe I shouldn't doubt Telltale
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Nov 2016, 13:27

What would you have preferred them work on?

I've never really gotten into Guardians of the Galaxy outside of the movie. I'd of course love an X-Men one, but that wasn't going to happen.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Nov 2016, 17:11

tokenBG1009 wrote:What would you have preferred them work on?

I've never really gotten into Guardians of the Galaxy outside of the movie. I'd of course love an X-Men one, but that wasn't going to happen.
Anything else? lol that makes it sound like I hate GotG which I don't, but honestly thinking of stories I want to see GotG would be lower on the list than X-Men, the various Marvel Knights-type heroes (Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider), Spider-Man, or the Avengers. I think the only ones I would want less than GotG is Inhumans or Fantastic Four.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 14 Nov 2016, 19:35

As long as it's not Lego-based. So tired of Lego Licensed Video Games.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 16 Nov 2016, 11:21

As a massive Marvel cosmic fan as well as a big fan of the DnA GotG run (which honestly is the reason why we have a GOTG film) I'm definitely interested. Telltale makes consistently good games so I can't see a downside to this :-)

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Jan 2017, 22:48

The game is up for pre-order on some sites and this is the official description listed:

"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series delivers a brand new story of the universe's unlikeliest heroes, the rag-tag band of outlaws who go by the names Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Groot. In the wake of an epic battle, the Guardians discover an artifact of unspeakable power. Each of the Guardians has a reason to desire this relic, as does a ruthless enemy who is the last of her kind, and who will stop at nothing to tear it from their hands. From Earth to the Milano to Knowhere and beyond, and set to the beat of awesome music, this five-part episodic series puts you in the rocket-powered boots of Star-Lord in an original Guardians adventure, told in the unique and award-winning Telltale style, where your decisions and actions will drive the path of the story you experience."

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 11 Jan 2017, 23:13

"Last of her kind," eh? Any guesses? Ayesha/Kismet/Her? Nebula (is she the last of her kind)? Angela?
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Jan 2017, 00:58

I don't think it will be but it actually sounds exactly like the plot to Black Vortex (a relic valuable to everyone and guarded by a female Gara who was last of her kind)

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 12 Jan 2017, 10:10

Ohhh. Figures - I didn't read Black Vortex. Oh well, this sounds like it's going to be great!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Jan 2017, 02:48

This may be the first telltale I buy episodically as it comes out.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 17 Jan 2017, 06:06

EphemeristX wrote:This may be the first telltale I buy episodically as it comes out.
I'm just gonna buy it all up front like I normally do. You get a price break that way usually.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Jan 2017, 11:24

I just don't like the interruption of the narrative flow caused by the episodic release. I like to play the whole thing over a couple of sessions.

Cable

Post by Cable » 09 Mar 2017, 23:40

First images have been released, which don't tell us anything other than what you could guess and that is that the main characters will be the line-up from the first movie. We also learn the voice actors which will not be the movie actors, which I didn't expect them to be though it would have been cool.

I believe we are getting the first gameplay trailer released at the PAX event this weekend.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Mar 2017, 01:27

So it's not cel-shaded like the other Telltales. Interesting.

Cable

Post by Cable » 28 Mar 2017, 16:30

The first episode is available for digital download April 18th! That's in just three weeks! Season pass retail disc comes out first week of May.

A trailer is coming next week but they did release a screenshot today that shows Thanos is in the game.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Mar 2017, 20:39

The Game of Thrones Telltale game wasn't cell-shaded but it did have a very "hand-painted" style which I loved.

I am surprised this one isn't since cel-shading does evoke the comics, but on the other hand maybe they are trying to make it look more cinematic?
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Cable

Post by Cable » 30 Mar 2017, 16:05

Official trailer

This is going to be awesome

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Mar 2017, 16:17

My only worry is do they have good enough comedy writers to be as funny and clever as the movie. If that elevator joke was an indication, I'm not too hopeful on that front.

Cable

Post by Cable » 30 Mar 2017, 16:26

Anna Raven wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 16:17
My only worry is do they have good enough comedy writers to be as funny and clever as the movie. If that elevator joke was an indication, I'm not too hopeful on that front.
I would agree the trailer moments don't look great, but having played Tales from the Borderlands I have faith in Telltale. That game in concept is very similar to what this should be, and it had a great mix of both comedy and heartfelt moments.

Cable

Post by Cable » 13 Nov 2017, 00:14

Who else played this? If not you need to! I just finished the game and it is fantastic! Great work by Telltale Game as usual. For those wondering if it is the comics GotG or the movie, it is its own thing but definitely takes more inspiration from the movie, though there are also elements taken from the comics (the villain is Hala, who is from the GotG Secret Wars mini). But like the films it mixes in classic rock songs to great effect, it has many moments of true laugh-out-loud humor, and it has plenty of heart with myself tearing up a bit towards the end. None of the cast members of the movie provide voices but the actors do a fine job (and the guy doing Rocket Raccoon in particular is great). Each member of the team gets fleshed out with time in the spotlight across the five episodes (well not as much Groot but he is a tree after all. But there is a bit where you play as him and it is great). I really hope for a sequel and/or some other Marvel projects from Telltale in the future!