Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
Gremlin

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Post by Gremlin » 18 Nov 2022, 19:37

Somehow we don’t have a thread for this!

Anyone got it yet? I’ve seen mixed reviews with good gameplay but really sub-par graphics and technical issues.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

das_boot

Re: Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Post by das_boot » 19 Nov 2022, 10:50

I’ve just started it. Out of the underwhelming (for me) starters, I’ve gone with Fuecoco, the fire crocodile. I’ve managed to avoid spoilers for all but the grass starter in terms of evolutions. I’m not very far at all, but I’ve so far caught the new bug type, Lechonk (who may stay on my team because PIGGY!!!!!), Fletchling (who won’t last because I don’t need two fire types, so if I stay underwhelmed by the starter’s evolution, he may get swapped out), Hoppip (no), Diglet and I’m sure something else but for the life of me I can’t remember what.

EDIT: I dunno why I’ve said half of those things because no— first play through and the rule is you HAVE to use new monsters.
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Nov 2022, 15:17

So, initial thoughts. Spoiler tagged but overall? Thumbs up.
Spoiler: show
This game is huge. I’m about three hours in but I’ve been taking my time and going off the beaten track and I’ve probably caught about twenty Pokémon already— and that’s before I’ve even reached the school which is the main objective so far. There’s a decent variety of Pokémon that I’ve seen so far, and other than the starters, the new bug and Fidough who was already revealed, the designs are really good. The graphics aren’t AMAZING but they’re a definite improvement from Sword and Legends Arceus. The interface is clean and simple, and there are some mechanics which have jumped over from Arceus (sneak attacks etc). No random encounters, you see EXACTLY where each Pokémon is, although some you do need to sneak attack to catch/battle. They don’t seem overly aggressive like in Arceus, they tend to run up to you and wait to see what you’re going to do.
Rather than triple posting, I’m going to just update this. I’ll also do a spoiler-free bit later on. I’m sticking to my previous assessment that this game is HUGE. My one piece of advice would be that I don’t think playing this game in handheld mode is ideal. I’m playing on a 40” TV with my Switch docked and some of the smaller Pokémon that you’ll see in the field are already easy to miss.
So I’m now about 8 hours in. I’ve just done the first gym and the first Titan hunt, I’m yet to do the first Team Star base. I have my starter evolved to its middle form, and two of my other newbies to theirs too. I’ve just found one of the regional birds but judging by dex info, it doesn’t evolve so it’s not the true Pidgey/Pidove/Fletchling/Rookidee line of this installment which strikes me as so weird.

When they say that you can play the game however you want and in whatever order you want? I don’t think this is strictly true. I’ve certainly managed to wangle my way in to areas that were difficult to access to find myself supremely under-levelled compared to the wild Pokémon. I feel like this is less “totally open world” and more like Skyrim— it feels a lot like you’re meant to start a quest line, jump to another, jump to another, explore in the interim, and then get back to the main stories when you feel the urge.

The mechanic from the previous games that dictates how high a level you can get your Pokémon to before they stop listening to you has changed, and it’s now that if you CATCH Pokémon above a certain level, they won’t listen to your commands in battle. You get a badge for gyms and also for the Titan battles and I think the Team Star battles but I’m not sure yet. You cannot catch the Titan Pokémon.

I wasn’t sold on Terastalising until I saw it in action and wow. It gives your Pokémon an extra typing, which, great to cover redundancies but it can only be used sparingly. This also means that some Pokémon get a THIRD typing when they go through this process which I suspect could absolutely destroy PVP (but I don’t do that anyway). The Tera raids function like the max raids from sword and shield but they’re timed rather than “you have x amount of turns to beat this”.
So spoiler-free: there’s a lot to do here. There is a LOT.

If you’re a battle-fan: the trainer battles are there and you’re rewarded for completing a certain amount within an area. You get League Points for battling which can be used instead of money at shops on a 1-for-1 basis, and the battle sequences are smooth as butter.

If you’re a collector of monsters: so, from what I’ve been told which rings true from my experience— every area has specific biomes. So, you might have “south area, zone 1” which has fields, caves, trees, a river, and an estuary leading to the sea. Each one of those areas that I’ve mentioned have biomes which are specific to them. This isn’t like “route one with have these Pokémon”— it’s “this zone will have these Pokémon in this biome under these specific weather conditions or points in the day/night cycle of the game”— so you could go from “river” seeing a lot of Psyduck, Azurill and Wooper, to the estuary to find Wiglet, Wingull and Magikarp, to the foresty bit to find loads of bugs and grass types. The only bit I’ve found a little monotonous so far was the mountain region where I came across the same four or five species as nauseum, but it’s a rocky area with little biodiversity. It still makes sense. There’s another area I visited that has a lot of the new grass type Olive thing, but it also had a lot of bug Pokémon or other types that we’d expect to see in an area where there’s a lot of farming taking place.

If you’re an explorer with more than a touch of ADHD (hello), OH BOY THIS IS A TREAT. Items can be found on the ground very regularly and they either respawn or you’ll find it’s worth going back to revisit just to see if there are new items/TMs worth finding.

I HAVE found some graphics glitches but I have to be honest— you don’t go in to a Pokémon game expecting photo realism. It’s meant to be a bit cartoony. I’d say that It’s noticeable but hasn’t hampered my enjoyment of the game.

My only real gripe is the playable character sprite. After Sword and Shield and Arceus where it felt like the playable character was probably in their mid teens, this absolutely feels like you’re back to the old days of “OMG YOU ARE TEN YEARS OLD OFF YOU GO AND EXPLORE THE WORLD WITH CREATURES THAT ARE OSTENSIBLY WMDs”— it feels a step backwards to me. Maybe it’s because I haven’t visited any of the clothing shops to try new clothes and I’m walking around in a school uniform. Maybe it’s because the “friendly rival” character looks to be in her late teens. I don’t know for sure, I just know that it feels a bit jarring.

Overall, if you’re a fan of the series and loved the semi-open world of Arceus, you’ll love this. It does feel a bit more of a grown up’s version of Pokémon, and while there’s still a bit of hand-holding, it’s mostly to teach you the new mechanics, and not to teach you the basics of the franchise like Sun and Moon or X and Y. The new interface is brilliant and I LOVE the new style Pokédex. If you’re not sure, there’s a YouTuber called Austin John who does a lot of spoiler-free videos about it, and I’d recommend that you check his channel out to see if you think it’s for you or not

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 20 Nov 2022, 17:33

This is on my hope to get like for Chrimbo but I've also read a few things that have been a bit critical on the graphics. Not that I'm expecting photo realism(!), it's Pokemon after all, but the Switch is an established enough tech platform now that glitches and the like should really have been ironed out, especially on the developer's fifth (Let's Go, Sword/Shield, Arceus, Diamond / Pearl remakes) time around.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 20 Nov 2022, 18:37

Yeah the further in I go, I see a few things that are a bit… well. Unpolished. There’s a few of the rival trainers who end up with one extremely lazy eye, and there’s been a few times where an effect just hasn’t quite rendered correctly but those are all stuff that can be fixed with a patch 🤷‍♂️

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 22 Nov 2022, 12:12

Yeah, I think the issues have been hugely overstated - the graphics aren't incredible, and I do imagine that the game was a bit rushed for release, but I've found nothing that has impacted game play as of yet.

I do find it a bit odd that you can't change your clothes in any major way - you have a choice of 4 seasonal school uniforms that you can switch between, and you can accessorise these with things you buy in shops, but yeah - that's it.

Overall, I'm enjoying the gameplay and the freedom element of it - feels like a bit of a step up to me
"These are two hundred dollar Italian cashmere Kiki de Montparnasse stockings, Kurt. I'll only kneel in them if absolutely necessary."

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 22 Nov 2022, 16:44

Also, if anyone has Scarlet/wants to evolve that dolphin thing that I’m honestly not too keen on but the water types are a bit weak this Gen so far, let me know and I’ll send my friend code :)

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Nov 2022, 13:06

So who is on everyone’s team so far?
I’ve done three star bases, three titans, and 6 gyms and my current line up is as follows

Skeledirge, Mabosstiff, Arboliva, Pawmot, Clodsire and Tinkaton— I won’t lie, I’m looking for a valid replacement for some of these Pokémon. I had Espartha instead of Mabosstiff but the amount of gyms that needed a dark type and didn’t need a psychic type made me choose again. I’m not enamoured with any of the new water types, and could do with finding some decent fighting type TMs to teach Pawmot. I’m also without a flying type or any REAL defence against fighting types at the moment… As good as Arboliva is at the moment I’m really conscious that being grass/normal is effectively the same as being pure grass, and I do prefer a dual type just for versatility/STAB.