Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Guardians of the Galxy game

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
tokenBG1009

Guardians of the Galxy game

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Jun 2021, 23:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jFYYMkJh4

Single player game where you play as Star Lord with the aid of the (movie) Guardians. I'm looking forward to just a game, no "Game as a Service" or anything like that. Just a, hopefully, good game by Eidos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7e5nAUvxIs

They actually showed a lot of gameplay so this is pretty far along.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Anna Raven

Re: Guardians of the Galxy game

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Jun 2021, 02:55

tokenBG1009 wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 23:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jFYYMkJh4

Single player game where you play as Star Lord with the aid of the (movie) Guardians. I'm looking forward to just a game, no "Game as a Service" or anything like that. Just a, hopefully, good game by Eidos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7e5nAUvxIs

They actually showed a lot of gameplay so this is pretty far along.
Its coming out on October 26th according to the trailer.

Funny it used the same song that He-Man's trailer just used. I guess I shouldn't hold that against them, but I almost feel like they should have changed it or waited to release it a few weeks from now.
Defenders Draft: Hulk | Scarlet Witch |Colossus | Valkyrie | She-Hulk | Iron Fist |
The Villain: Xemnu

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jun 2021, 13:28

They couldn't really wait a few weeks to release it since it was one of the few things Square Enix had to hype at their awful E3. I'm fine with Hero playing both trailers. It fits with both, so why not?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 15 Jun 2021, 19:56

Squeenix presentation was... not the best. But, apparently, the I MUST KILL CHAOS game is actually more fun than it lets on and you're not dressed as a dude-bro for long.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jun 2021, 20:30

I got the demo, but it was corrupt. You can see their release of it was filled with CHAOS

:|

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Oct 2021, 16:08

So, the more I see of this game, the more I want it. Need it, even. Dammit, I need a PS5.
with me," he smiled.

Cable

Post by Cable » 08 Oct 2021, 16:23

I have a PS5 but no games for it yet. This will be my first. This looks even better than the Spider-Man games to me.
Best Comics of Week 47

X-titles: X-Men #5 by Gerry Duggan (3) and Javier Pina (1), Ze Carlos (1)
Non-X titles: Black Panther #1 by John Ridley (1) and Juann Cabal (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Oct 2021, 17:21

Dude. I want that Spider-Man game too. And FF7 Intermission. And now this. Ugh.
with me," he smiled.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 08 Oct 2021, 17:21

I will be getting a PS5 for my birthday next week and I am defo getting this game
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 08 Oct 2021, 18:21

I've given up trying to get a PS5 for the next year or so, though I'd love one for Spider-Man, FF7 and this. I had the cash ready to splurge last Christmas, and right up until this spring, but couldn't find one that wasn't ludicrously over-priced, and now other commitments (well, one rather large commitment) is eating up every bit of my disposable cash and more.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Oct 2021, 18:22

Lucky! I'm saving for one, I've got half of it in Gamestop credit, but that limits my options on where to get one obviously.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 31 Oct 2021, 03:19

I downloaded it this morning after hearing somebody call it "Final Fantasy XV in space", and I've been enjoying it. The comparison to FFVI is very apt- both in the way the squad leader controls the other members to chain together combos, but also in the way the fighting feels a bit more sluggish and clunky than a straight up action game like God of War and Ghost of Tsushima. This isn't bad- it lends a more cerebral style of combat where you are trying to line up moves to win instead of continuously reacting to whatever you are fighting while looking for openings- but it wasn't something that I expected.

Although I gotta ask others who are playing it- is this game unexpectedly tough to start out, or am I just really really bad? I'm on the first "real" planet, and encountered a very basic enemy that I've died against 5 times, without even getting close to winning the fight.
Spoiler: show
It's the red jelly cubes on Lady Hellbender's planet. There's a segment where Peter can go off on his own looking for goodies, and faces two of them in combat. I had no trouble with them with my squad backing me up, but between their reappearing gel shield and their health regen, I cannot put them down! Even when I keep them in my crosshairs (not easy with all their jumping about) I can get them to maybe half health before they shield up and fully heal. Am I missing something? Is this supposed to be a fight I return to after powering them up? I even checked an IGN guide which basically just said "There are two red gels here; kill them and move on".

Cable

Post by Cable » 31 Oct 2021, 03:34

I am loving this game! People rave about Spider-Man PS4 but this is even better, especially the storytelling. And the line-up of classic songs is surprisingly robust!
Jindianajonz wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 03:19

Although I gotta ask others who are playing it- is this game unexpectedly tough to start out, or am I just really really bad? I'm on the first "real" planet, and encountered a very basic enemy that I've died against 5 times, without even getting close to winning the fight.
It's the red jelly cubes on Lady Hellbender's planet. There's a segment where Peter can go off on his own looking for goodies, and faces two of them in combat. I had no trouble with them with my squad backing me up, but between their reappearing gel shield and their health regen, I cannot put them down! Even when I keep them in my crosshairs (not easy with all their jumping about) I can get them to maybe half health before they shield up and fully heal. Am I missing something? Is this supposed to be a fight I return to after powering them up? I even checked an IGN guide which basically just said "There are two red gels here; kill them and move on".
Had no problems at all here. Are you on hard difficulty? I believe you can change it at any time and it does not affect trophies/achievements.

My only complaint about the game so far is how easy it is to miss certain things. There are often areas that you will pass through and then you cannot go back and it does not warn you. Though you can tediously replay a whole chapter if you need to.
Best Comics of Week 47

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 31 Oct 2021, 15:29

I'm on regular difficulty, but I even turned my damage up to Max for this segment. Maybe I'm just... really bad? I just don't see how I can concentrate enough damage to burn through these guys; they keep jumping over my shoulder and healing up fully when they get to half health.

Cable

Post by Cable » 31 Oct 2021, 15:37

Jindianajonz wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 15:29
I'm on regular difficulty, but I even turned my damage up to Max for this segment. Maybe I'm just... really bad? I just don't see how I can concentrate enough damage to burn through these guys; they keep jumping over my shoulder and healing up fully when they get to half health.
Are you locking on and using Rapid Reload? (when you shoot your guns overload but then if you push again when in the green zone during cooldown you fire a large blast)
Best Comics of Week 47

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 31 Oct 2021, 17:10

Ahhh, I didn't know there was a lock-on. That's probably my problem!! Thank you!

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 02 Nov 2021, 14:22

Just to follow up, that's exactly what it was Cable... I went back, and those two enemies were no problem now that they couldn't just jump away and heal. Thank you!

Cable

Post by Cable » 02 Nov 2021, 15:00

Jindianajonz wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 14:22
Just to follow up, that's exactly what it was Cable... I went back, and those two enemies were no problem now that they couldn't just jump away and heal. Thank you!
Yeah it would be pretty impossible to make it far if you didn't lock on lol

Getting farther into this game it really is a love letter to Marvel cosmic comics. There are a ton of Easter eggs (like in Kor-El's computer or the Collector's Museum) I also love that for the characters and even costumes they clearly give credit to the comics creators.
Best Comics of Week 47

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 04 Nov 2021, 21:25

So I've continued playing through the game, finally got to Nowhere, and I gotta say, that level really sucked a lot of wind out the games sails. Even though the level is a combat-light, story focused mission, the various systems in the game all clashed in a way that highlighted how discordant a lot of this game can be.
Basically, this level is 90% a walking simulator. You are looking for Cosmo, and need to go through the market to find him. Rocket and Groot are mad at you, so they rush off ahead, but Gamora and Drax accompany you. And the bulk of the enjoyment is supposed to be the dialogue you have along the way.

Except... the game allow you to enjoy it. Because scattered throughout the area are collectibles and side conversations amongst the locals. And frequently when you stop to search one out, your companions keep walking and talking, their voices slowly getting quieter to the point of incomprehension. Normally this means you enjoy the conversation now and come back for collectibles later, but this game doesn't allow you to freely revisit zones- you need to play through the entire chapter again, along with all the lengthy cut scenes, to get back to a certain area.

Further complicating this is the mechanic that lets you scan certain objects in Peter's visor. Now, I've played enough games to know that when something seems like a collectible, it usually is. I don't know if there's a reward or achievement for reading all these random lore blurbs, but the game in me has to assume that there is. This is yet another thing competing for my attention as I struggle to keep up with my teammates. Also note this area has a lot of scannable stalls with amusing lore text, so when I finally get a break from all the cranes and maintenance droids, the game starts hurrying me along instead of allowing me to enjoy it.

Finally, this is the first level that allows you to spend the units you found in an earlier mission. However, the game has made clear that you need to save a certain amount to pay off your debt, and a lot of the things you can buy have very vague, if any, tangible benefit to your character. That's fine, I don't need to win the lottery, but the Collector's Emporium seems really big and cool. I don't have enough units to afford both it and the 8K debt I wracked up, though. So, I do what I usually do- google to see if there's a way to see both the emporium and pay off my debt. It turns out there is- but only if you are really quick and don't stop to explore. So once again, the games different systems are pulling me in a lot of different directions, and I end up making decisions that I'm not even aware of as I try to find everything the game has to offer.
Am I being overly critical? Absolutely. But I wish there were a better way to revisit areas to finish scans/collectibles, or even redo choices (apparently the chapter select option will allow you to change decisions within the chapter, but for decisions that span chapters you are locked into whatever choice to made on your first playthrough, unless you delete your save). Instead, the game gives me a lot of options and says "sorry, if you want to see everything you're gonna have to play through two or three times", and frankly the game isn't good enough to warrant that.

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Nov 2021, 17:42

I finished this game and it was pretty great. Some good turns in the story, some powerful emotional sequences, and moments of laugh-out-loud humor.

After collecting all costumes I can confirm the best way to outfit your team is as follows:

Star-Lord: Team-Lord
Drax: Nova Corps
Gamora: Guardians of the Galaxy
Groot: Impaler
Rocket: Standard Outfit
Best Comics of Week 47