Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
Spectral Knight

Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield

Post by Spectral Knight » 24 Feb 2021, 08:30

So I bought the expansion pack, my thoughts...

Isle of Armor - positives are Ushifu (Dark) is an absolute don, and it was a nice little extra story. Honey sure does want my Watts though. Took ages to power him up to where he could evolve though but so worth it now. Other wild pokemon had fun familiar faces from G1 but very little new 'mon to be invested in.

Crown Tundra. I thought the story and tone was great - Calyrex is a brilliant concept and super strong. The Galarian forms of the Legendary birds are all very cool but thd designs of the Giants is pretty dull. I found the first Ultra Beast by the Frigid Sea, but the hail keeps killing him too quickly and there's next to no chance to catch him with ultra balls. The Max Lair opens up some very cool legendaries but FFS, how utterly, utterly useless are the computer controlled allies. They never Dynamax even with x4 type advantages and often just make really bad decisions over and over.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 24 Feb 2021, 20:51

One thing I'd say Spec is give it some time until you're feeling the itch and then start a new file (on a second profile, no need to delete your crrent one) and treat the whole thing as one big game. (Isle of Armor puts the pokemon at roughly the same level as yours the first time you go). I've done the first three gyms and then went to the isle to get some pokemon to change up the team for the gyms/get Kubfoo at a relevant level and then took it through me in game as a main pokemon on my team--came back after the story and league to evolve it as a 'victory' thing.

I've got myself a shiny Nidoran male- so thinking I might make my way through the game again with that as my starter and only use pokemon from the expansion packs for a bit of a different game.

I also had an idea of only catching normal types...until I beat the grass gym which would let me 'unlock' grass type....then the same through the rest of the game.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 25 Feb 2021, 08:40

I might look at doing it as one big game later on but I think I'll not try the Normal types only - they're rubbish LOL. (Except Tauros, a steaming strong angry bull is always cool)

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Feb 2021, 12:39

Spectral Knight wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 08:40
I might look at doing it as one big game later on but I think I'll not try the Normal types only - they're rubbish LOL. (Except Tauros, a steaming strong angry bull is always cool)
Normal is such a weird type. Like... other than fighting, ghost and steel, it’s pretty decent to use for type coverage early game, but considering how many other Pokémon learn a fighting type move anyway, it often feels like it’s the type that’s the most likely to be an afterthought... well. Other than in Silver/Ruby where the normal-type gym leader will SCHOOL you if you’re not paying attention.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 25 Feb 2021, 14:38

I ended up with a Chansey on a recent Max Lair run, thought about what a useless 'mon it was, except I used it to tank hits and heal me/or my team on every turn. Four battles won without a single offensive move from me just by acting as the crew's doctor.