Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Cyberpunk 2077

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
EphemeristX

Cyberpunk 2077

Post by EphemeristX » 06 Jul 2020, 01:33

Is anyone else as HYPED as I am about this game? I don't normally play first person shooting type games but this looks so damn cool. The customization is off the charts, and I loved that they broke down body type, voice, and genitalia into separate categories so you can just be whoever you want to be.

What is everyone most excited about? For me, it's the idea that I can do a no-kill run through using hacking and stealth (which means I don't have to do FPS). There are so many ways you can go through the story that you're going to have to at least do two or three playthroughs to experience it all.

I am bummed that it's been pushed back (again) to November, but that means it'll be there to help me through the holidays. And the fact that you're going to get a free next-gen upgrade whenever you buy the next system means there's no reason not to just get it now.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by Cable » 06 Jul 2020, 02:41

I am excited about the game but I was actually really glad to see it pushed back because I am even more excited for Ghost of Tsushima and now there is some hope I can finish it before Cyberpunk comes out.
Best Comics of Week 2

X-titles: SWORD #2 by Al Ewing (1) and Valerio Schiti (1)
Non-X titles: King in Black Thunderbolts #1 by Matthew Rosenberg (1) and Juan Ferreyra (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of the week this year

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 Jul 2020, 21:44

I’m going to say something borderline sacrilegious here:

I didn’t enjoy The Witcher.

This hinders my anticipation for this game dramatically.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Jul 2020, 22:09

I didn't love Witcher's combat. But, I figure, if there are tons of ways to play, there has to be a few that I'll have fun with.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Dec 2020, 22:46

I got my copy today! I heard there were a number of bugs, especially in the PS4/XBox 1 versions (which I have). Fingers crossed.

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Dec 2020, 14:07

EphemeristX wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 22:46
I got my copy today! I heard there were a number of bugs, especially in the PS4/XBox 1 versions (which I have). Fingers crossed.
I asked the wife for this game as a Christmas present and have since heard the rumors too but didn't worry too much because there are a lot of haters on the internet and/or sometimes you can't tell if the problems are happening to many people or just a really vocal few. However I now see the PlayStation Store has completely pulled the game and issued refunds for even digital versions. That is pretty alarming!

Have you gotten much playtime? What has your experience been? Are the glitches mostly graphical or are you getting game-breaking bugs and having to try to revert saves?
Best Comics of Week 2

Non-X titles: King in Black Thunderbolts #1 by Matthew Rosenberg (1) and Juan Ferreyra (1)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 18 Dec 2020, 15:41

I've played about 20 hours. So far, most glitches have been texture/pop in related. I've had a t-pose or two, a mini-map error or two, and some wonky car/bike physics. Once, I was hacking the cameras in a place and when I came out, my character had moved to a spot that I couldn't get out of, forcing me to restart. The game has crashed a few times on me as well. Luckily, the autosave is very generous (saving after every single mission update), so the biggest hassle there is having to wait to restart the game.

It's by no means perfect, but I think other people must be having it much worse than I am.

For reference, I have a Year-2 model PS4.

Game-wise, I mostly like it.

The negatives: The life paths don't seem to matter much except for a dialogue option here or there (but they do appear enough to affect almost every main mission). The inventory system is hella clunky--expect to get really bored of selling each individual item and watching the inventory screen repopulate. There's no quick way of doing a mass pickup of items scattered around the world. Expect to run around combat zones all day picking up mostly useless crap to sell or deconstruct. They do at least give you a color pop-up for rarity, but there's no way to tell beforehand if the common item you're heading towards is money, a new pair of sparkly hotpants, or a used ashtray until you get there and hover your cursor over it.

There is no way to re-customize your character once you've begun (not even your hair!). If you have the nudity turned on, you will see dong every time you change pants, lol. That might be a plus or minus for you, but I don't mind. There was clearly alot planned that didn't make it to the final game, like car customization, multiple apartments, etc, that got cut, but I do know that they've planned a major update in January and another in February, and that all DLC would be free. Car physics are crap (but bike physics are actually decent!).

The positives: The main story and world are incredibly fleshed out and offer alot of divergence. Your in-game choices do matter and you can kill and not kill any number of NPC characters. The main quest and the first level of sidequest are actual stories and not 'kill x soldiers', 'collect x trinkets'. For instance, in one mission, you're tasked with tracking down a snuff film made of the son of a celebrity. When you get there, you can simply collect the file and leave, or you can kill everybody (I did the latter). And when I executed one, the other started crying "Why?!" In another, you're supposed to save a martial artist from a gang who he owes money too, but if you make yourself known, it could damage your rep with the local fixer. I climbed across the rooftops and dropped in through the skylight, saved the guy with sneaking takedowns, and slipped out the back door. The romances are pretty well fleshed out, and there's one for each type (straight male, straight female, gay male, gay female), but the actual sex scenes are kinda weird -- especially since it's in first person.

The soundtrack is fantastic. The combat offers a large variety of ways to attack each quest. I can't shoot for shit, for instance, but I can sneak around and snap necks, hack cameras and take down enemies through quickhacks, make enemy mines and turrets work for you instead, dash in with swords, wrist blades, giant gorilla arms, clubs, a strangling wire, etc, and there are also smart guns that auto-target once you reach a certain level. Also, your skills with each type of ability increase with use, so if you do alot of swordfighting, your swordfighting gets better. And levelling each skill up gives numerous perks like increased crits, more crafting items when disassembling, or getting more money from hacking vending machines. There are a number of really fun celebrity cameos and a TON of easter eggs. The advertising and world building truly makes the world feel alive.

Anyway, I'm having alot of fun so far! If you're having doubts, I fully expect this to be a fantastic fully fleshed out game by the time the GOTY edition rolls out.

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Dec 2020, 17:10

What lifepath did you choose?
Best Comics of Week 2

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 18 Dec 2020, 17:40

I did Nomad. I liked the idea, narratively, of starting outside the city and making your way in. It was the best POV since we'd both be seeing the city with fresh eyes.

Cable

Post by Cable » 23 Dec 2020, 16:44

I saw Game Informer (my personal most trusted source of critic game reviews, I have generally always found them to be spot on unlike the more hit-and-miss Gamespot) originally gave this game a 9 after reviewing it on a high-end PC. They have since reviewed it on last-gen consoles and given it a 5.5! That is brutal.

It seems clear that CDProjekt Red was under huge pressure to release for the holiday season. They should have done the right thing and delayed again. It is a very disappointing outcome for such a talented group of people. I was going to start playing on Christmas Day but now I might wait for more patching.
Best Comics of Week 2

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 23 Dec 2020, 17:06

The longer you wait, the better it'll be. I have no doubt that this will be a very enjoyable experience even on old consoles once they've actually finished.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 25 Dec 2020, 00:19

Yeah, even though on got this on PC, I'm gonna wait until it starts getting patched up. Got plenty of backlog to keep me occupied until then.