Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Kingdom Hearts Series

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
Cable

Kingdom Hearts Series

Post by Cable » 11 Mar 2020, 17:53

I am the type of person where if I get into a new fandom or series I am going to seek out every single entry and media involved. Thus I have always been intrigued but avoided Kingdom Hearts as its games are spread out over numerous consoles/handhelds and it was difficult to follow. I now no longer have this excuse however as a ten-game collection will be dropping for PS4 this month for a great price. So now I have to take a hard look at it.

So for those who played it, how does it hold up? Is it worth jumping into them all? I specifically am not a fan of Final Fantasy (though I have played a few of the early entries) but am a fan of Disney. How is it on getting to interact with those various NPCs and more importantly use those characters in your party (as spoiler-light as you can be please)? Also I am much more a fan of turn-based or pausable command type combat systems in RPGs but my understanding is this is more hack and slash? Is it more fun than just mashing buttons? Also I play games more for the story than for a challenge so is there difficulty levels and/or are they games that won't be frustrating? How is the plot overall? Are there interesting turns or is it cliche JRPG?

Thank you very much to anyone who takes time to answer my many questions!
Best Comics of Week 37

Best X-Comic: Marauders #12 by Gerry Duggan (8) and Matteo Lolli (4)
Best Non-X Comic: Empyre Aftermath Avengers #1 by Al Ewing (7) and Valerio Schiti (2)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic of week this year

EphemeristX

Re: Kingdom Hearts Series

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Mar 2020, 20:24

If you have any sort of motion sickness issue, do not play the first game. Jesus Christ. The camera swings around so much I barely got into the second world before having to quit due to nausea.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 17 Mar 2020, 07:36

I love KH, but I have yet to play KH3. Birth By Sleep is my personal favorite, though the original is also great (tho Ephem is right, the camera didn't really know what it was doing, but they did fix that issue somewhat with the most recent PS4 rerelease)

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 06 May 2020, 00:27

I bought this on sale last week and I've been really enjoying it. Still on the first game. One tip, you can change the camera to manual if it's bugging you. For me it's fine in most cases, it's only bad when you get stuck in a corner.

When I finish should I jump straight to 2.5? Or should I play some of the DLC? I'm a big DuckTales fan or anything from the old afternoon cartoon block, so if there's any that have more stuff from those shows like Tale Spin or Darkwing Duck etc. I'd really enjoy that.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 06 May 2020, 01:05

Milkshake08 wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 07:36
I love KH, but I have yet to play KH3. Birth By Sleep is my personal favorite, though the original is also great (tho Ephem is right, the camera didn't really know what it was doing, but they did fix that issue somewhat with the most recent PS4 rerelease)
If the PS4 version is the fixed version... *gags*.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 06 May 2020, 14:39

I bought it and played the first one and unfortunately don't really enjoy it much. Or at least I only enjoy seeing the Disney elements and realized this once I had gotten through the final themed world, the game wasn't over, and I felt like I had little desire to keep playing through to the end. The game definitely shows its age in many poor design choices imo. (The camera though is not a problem with the manual option). I got pretty far but ended up rage-quitting. At one point towards the end there is a really hard boss fight (I won't say for sake of spoilers who). I fought this fight at night, afterwards planning to go to sleep because I had to get up early. It took me several tries late into the night but I did it. Then afterwards they do not let me go to a save point. I have to keep fighting enemies including a room where you must face several waves of foes including one that has a special attack that can one-shot kill you. You have to fight so many enemies in this room that my fingers literally hurt hitting the buttons. At one point I was close to the end and during an attack my character accidentally moved through the doorway into the previous room. When I re-entered, the wave sequence started from the start. I almost had a seizure. I died multiple times during this stupid wave sequence wanting to just save and go to sleep. It wouldn't let me though and I quit, knowing I would have to do the boss fight all over again and then this sequence after too. I haven't gone back to it in weeks.

I'll answer my own questions I posed above:

So for those who played it, how does it hold up?: Not well. You will literally groan every time they make you fly your gummi ship.

Is it worth jumping into them all? Only if they get much better after the first. I will let you know if I ever get the courage up to try another.

I specifically am not a fan of Final Fantasy (though I have played a few of the early entries) but am a fan of Disney. How is it on getting to interact with those various NPCs and more importantly use those characters in your party (as spoiler-light as you can be please)?: Incredibly bare bones experience with NPCs. The worlds you explore are unfortunately quite small. There is barely a reason to use any party members other than Donald and Goofy except for the novelty. Most of the time you aren't given much option anyway.

Also I am much more a fan of turn-based or pausable command type combat systems in RPGs but my understanding is this is more hack and slash? Is it more fun than just mashing buttons? : Combat is mostly mashing buttons (though this might be affected by my choosing to be Warrior class). I do not find the combat to be much fun and the infinitely spawning enemies become a severe annoyance at times. I hate level-grinding in games and this is a grind.

Also I play games more for the story than for a challenge so is there difficulty levels and/or are they games that won't be frustrating? : There are difficulty levels but even Easy is too frustrating especially if you make early game mistakes like I did that will haunt you later.

How is the plot overall? Are there interesting turns or is it cliche JRPG?: There are one or two good turns but for the most part it is cliche. And weird. It is just a vehicle to get you seeing different Disney worlds but I guess that is what we all want anyway.
Best Comics of Week 37

Best X-Comic: Marauders #12 by Gerry Duggan (8) and Matteo Lolli (4)
Best Non-X Comic: Empyre Aftermath Avengers #1 by Al Ewing (7) and Valerio Schiti (2)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic of week this year

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Aug 2020, 23:07

Jumping in as someone who played the first two numbered entries on PS2...

So I’m playing through 2.5 now and... Without giving too much away? I forgot how much the tutorial sequence bothers me (it’s four hours of the game, including cut scenes, necessary for scene-setting but I forgot how much those four hours DRAGGED). I also forgot that you have to visit each world twice, with the second visit after the mid-way mark... which I’ve done BEFORE visiting Pride Rock/The Lion King world because the game prompted me to return to Hollow Bastion/Radiant Gardens directly after I finished Halloween Town... so now I’m unsure whether I get to do the initial Pride Rock level before the revisit or not, because the paths to that world are currently locked until I do Pirates of the Caribbean again 🙃🙃🙃

Overall? I’m still enjoying playing through this game again, I really am... but it feels like a LOT of exposition that doesn’t always make sense because I skipped the games in between 1.5 and 2.5...

Sigh.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!