Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
EphemeristX

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Apr 2020, 00:04

So, let's talk about it.

Endgame spoilers:
Spoiler: show
Alot of folks are talking about alternate timelines. I really don't think that's what's happening here.
Sephiroth, like Aerith, have a connection to the lifestream. They have an inside look at Gaea's plans for the planet but they don't have the complete picture. The Arbiters of Fate are like the white blood cells of the lifestream (and, of course, act as a proxy for fans who say they want the original game unmolested).

Aerith knows that she will be a sacrifice for the planet and Sephiroth knows his plan will end in his own demise. Aerith is willing to go through with it to save everyone but Sephiroth wants to defy fate. He goads the party into defying fate with him by showing them incomplete images of the original timeline and scaring them into action.
Aerith is willing to do this as well because she wants to live, but Sephiroth now just cast the die for a future in which he might actually win. Setting up Cloud and company to defeat the Arbiters once and for all removes them from the board, which allows for changes to the planets plan. That's why we see Biggs waking up in the orphanage (Jessie and Wedge's fates are unknown at this point, though it was alluded to that the Artibers flung Wedge out of the window to mimic his original fate and Jessie's glove hints that she may have actually survived as well).

Zack's scene is actually a precursor to his death in the original FF7. He's still going to die. The crisps packet was an allusion to him being the original "Stamp" but different than Cloud (terrier vs beagle). Zack is dragging Cloud like that right before the Shinra soldiers gun him down from behind.

So now, we are in a world that is free of Gaea's plan, which, like Aerith said, is beautiful, terrifying freedom.
Another bit of meta-commentary on the game itself.

My own thoughts on this -- well, this was the only way that OG fans would have any sense of suspense going into future installments (instead of growing dread, which was what I was envisioning). I still thnk Aerith is going to die. In fact, I think most if not all of the OG plot points are still going to happen, just remixed in a way that will make them a little less expected.
Regardless, I'm super stoked for the next one. I hope it's not another two to three years.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 20 Apr 2020, 19:54

I’ve started doing the hard mode, and they really mean it. You cannot use items and your MP doesn’t fill up with you rest.

Tips,

1) use healing materia like Chakra and Pray. Saves on MP.
2) if you have healing materia, link it with the materia that allows you to cast a spell over multiple targets. That way a simple Cura hits all the party for the same cost.
3) Revive materia on multiple characters. No access to Phoenix down means this is a must.
4) switch switch switch switch. Never control a character for too long as the AI seems to constantly target the controlled character
4) unlock weapon nodes that allow MP to be gained from enemy deaths
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Apr 2020, 21:12

It really drives me insane that you can't set some kind of AI on allies. Why can't I set Aerith to cast heals or spells when her ATB is full?
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 20 Apr 2020, 21:21

Barrier on Magnify is really cool too. So is Haste.

If you have a character that needs to pull off a spell, issue the command through the menu without switching to them. They tend to get interrupted way less.

Putting Steadfast Block on allies is nice because they actually do tend to block, and that helps generate ATB.

If you're using elemental weaknesses, often, just the level one spell is all you need.

Auto-Cure materia is a godsend. And you don't actually need healing materia for it to work, but it does still require ATB, MP, and you need to not be controlling them. Less useful for hard-mode than Chakra/Pray.

Slot that Pedometer materia as soon as you get it. It turns into an AP-Up which doubles the speed at which you level up any materia it's connected to.

The Enemy Skill materia only learns 4 skills, but they don't require MP and some of them are actually quite useful. Algid Aura on a melee character makes them do constant damage just by being close. Link it with an HP/MP Absorb materia for health/mana gain. If you give your weapon an elemental charge, the aura will take it too, so you can do AOE fire siphon for fire-weak mobs, etc. Spirit Siphon is another MP-less self-heal (and it damages the enemy to boot! - and follows elemental materia rules as well).

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Apr 2020, 09:08

So, just beat the boss at the train graveyard....

Loving this game but DAMN they aren’t even being ambiguous with the idea that Marlene is more than likely not Barrett’s biological daughter, are they?
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 25 Apr 2020, 11:55

das_boot wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 09:08

Loving this game but DAMN they aren’t even being ambiguous with the idea that Marlene is more than likely not Barrett’s biological daughter, are they?
I mean, sure she could be mixed race, but that's a very white child and he's a very black man.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Apr 2020, 12:32

tokenBG1009 wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 11:55
das_boot wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 09:08

I mean, sure she could be mixed race, but that's a very white child and he's a very black man.
Oh, I understand that a very light-skinned child is possible for a mixed race couple, no matter how much melanin the parent of colour has, but like... in the original, Marlene totally looked mixed race. Here? Hell. They just stopped short of giving her blonde hair and blue eyes 🤷‍♂️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 05 May 2020, 22:46

Been grinding the hard mode. Damn, some of it is killer. I really recommend levelling up the Elemental, Magnify and HP up materia. Magnify+Healing is a party wide life saver. Elemental is fantastic on some of the challenges as if you have it high enough, put it in an Armor slot and it totally negates certain damage like Lightning.

I spent ages doing the 9 dresses trophy for the PS 4. Had to play through a bunch of chapters multiple times for it. It was fun to start but then got boring.

All in all I am really enjoying this game. Only a couple of levels off completing hard mode and then I should have platinumed the game.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 May 2020, 18:00

So
Finally finished and I have to say, this is one of the few times that I disagree with you Eph. Sorry forum-husband.

I felt as though the arbiters of fate/whispers were making it very clear that they were turning up when destiny was about to be undone... so for example, they revive Barrett with no injury. They actively guide you at times to steer clear of things that are just different enough to be different from the OG, but not quite different enough to have absolutely drastic differences in outcomes.

Further— Sephiroth’s words to Cloud: “you have seven seconds to change everything”... guess how long the FMV is in the OG where Sephiroth starts to descend, to completing his killing blow on Aerith? EXACTLY seven seconds.

I feel like we’re kind of in a Type-Zero situation here: for those of you who haven’t played, Type Zero is set in a universe with a time loop. So, the events happen over and over again until something happens to break the loop. Aerith knows things that she shouldn’t know. Sephiroth alludes to the previous game as do the visions that Cloud and the others have forced on them by the Whispers. I genuinely believe that the thing that set off this chain of events to make it different is the survival of Zack— his survival is the start of the chain of events and why we see the Whispers, as well as why we see Sephiroth taking a more active hand in events far earlier... and we’re seeing other characters survive too: Wedge and Biggs have both survived where they previously died... I genuinely think that if we’re not going to get a version of the game where Aerith is able to be saved, they’re ABSOLUTELY trolling us that we can... Or that someone else has to die in her place. Something is drastically different to have caught the Whispers attention, and whether that’s Sephiroth trying time make sure that this time line stays the same, or Aerith trying to thwart it, I guess we’ll see. We’ve already seen that Aerith has more Cetra powers than just her vague intuitions of the OG, and she even states that she’s not sure what happens next: basically I cannot he told I’m wrong, because I’ve convinced myself so deeply ha ha ha

LOVED this game ❤️❤️❤️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 18 May 2020, 18:19

There are definitely two camps. I disagree with time travel. I think it's more about precognition or forbidden knowledge. The Artibers are clearly the continuity clean-up crew, though. I don't think I disagreed with that point in my original post. I think they're agents of the planet, though, and not agents of time.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 May 2020, 20:17

EphemeristX wrote:
18 May 2020, 18:19
There are definitely two camps. I disagree with time travel. I think it's more about precognition or forbidden knowledge. The Artibers are clearly the continuity clean-up crew, though. I don't think I disagreed with that point in my original post. I think they're agents of the planet, though, and not agents of time.
I’m not sure about time travel, per se... I definitely feel like Aerith knows she’s supposed to die. I don’t know whether I’m right or not but I definitely got the impression that the Whispers in their first appearance was almost forcing Aerith directly into Cloud’s path. Maybe it’s just me seeing what I want to see and refusing to see any other point of view 🤷‍♂️... but I do think that this is going to be some out and out reality shifting, whether that’s a parallel universe or a time loop. Even Red XIII (BEST BOY) said that the previous canonical ending of him running up to an overgrown Midgar with no humans after Holy was cast... he referred to that almost explicitly as “the bad ending”. It’s such a heavy implication that things will change going forward in terms of events that happen in the series and I just... it’s just beautiful. I just loved this so much. It’s everything I wanted it to be and more and HOLD ME
ASPIRING WRITERS!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 18 May 2020, 22:50

Lol, you keep saying you're disagreeing with me but you're saying the same things I am about knowledge and the arbiters. The only divergent idea we have is that you perhaps think time travel is involved while I think it's precognition. I just don't think the things we're seeing with Zack and everything are taking place in adjacent timelines or realities or whatever, as some folks do.

For instance, the arbiters attack Aerith in the beginning. That's different. Why? Because Sephiroth appeared to Cloud and slowed him down.
Had the arbiters not interfered, Cloud would have missed Aerith completely. Then, when she decided to stick around to help him fight the soldiers, they scared her off to preserve the chain of events. Same with the second mission. Cloud was going to sit it out, so the arbiters injured Jessie to force Barrett to re-hire Cloud after all. They also kept Cloud from killing Reno in the church and kept Aerith out of the Turks' hands so that she could accompany Cloud. Later, they slowed Cloud and crew down in the train graveyard so that they wouldn't reach the pillar in time and potentially stop the plate from dropping. In the building, they revived Barrett when Sephiroth stabbed him, but removed the Avalanche helicopter backup (and Wedge), so that Cloud would have to do his Hardy Daytona escape.

The main takeaway I had was that the Lifestream is outside of time. When Sephiroth merged with it, he gained outside-of-time knowledge. The planet itself clearly wants the 500-years-Nanaki future to come to pass, but we don't know for sure what that really means. By the time they're getting visions in the Crossroads, Sephiroth had already co-opted and corrupted the arbiters, so he could easily be selectively showing them the scary parts of the future so they would defy it. Since he knows he loses -- regardless of the planet and humanity's true fate -- he wants to change it. So, basically, Cloud and company deciding to follow him there and defeating the master arbiter effectively frees Sephiroth and Cloud of their influence. Cloud has unwittingly done Sephiroth's bidding and Aerith let him because she's afraid to die and she hopes that they can still beat him. That's what "terrifying freedom" means.

But now, Sephiroth also has a chance to win.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 May 2020, 07:19

... reading your posts now when I’m less tired and emotional about finally finishing it? Yes, I see we do actually agree on a lot 😂 WHOOPS!
ASPIRING WRITERS!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 20 May 2020, 00:09

I was emotional too. There's a real phenomenon going around where folks are actually getting post-game depression.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 20 May 2020, 01:48

So I haven't talked about this..

I absolutely loved every little inch of this game. It was purely amazing. It somehow exceeded my expectations. The characters and the dialogue were amazing. Aertih? My God, she's got snark for days, and she trolls Cloud so often. I loved her. Tifa got more layers this time around too, which she mostly didn't get until after disc one. Cloud was 'sad boy' of course, but I loved how they had his moments with Tifa be different. He was a jerk to everyone but her. Also the Tifa/Aerith relationship was amazing
If Aerith does dies, it should be interesting to see how it affects her
As for the plot.
Well not too much to add beyond what you guys already talked about. Obviously, I loved the character depth, and how they expanded just about everything and everyone in Midgar. How awesome was Shrina HQ? Who's ready for Shrina Mansion?

As for the Arbriters, yes agree 100%, so again can't add much. It's funny how before I knew what they were I'm like 'Geez, what are these guys? Fanboys trying to make sure no one changes the game's OG plot. And that's when it began to click, but still I wasn't sure and I wasn't sure if they were Ancient ghosts or from the lifestream...

As for who knows what.

I'm with Booty that Sephiroth is able to go into the pat through the lifestream and he's manipulating all these events. But if that's the case, why is Zack alive? Maybe Sephiroth tried to kill Cloud then and somehow twisted time? don't believe in the alternate theory because it seems strange to have that twist and have it be something that doesn't affect the plot. But I also think he might just be dead, because where is he? My only theory is he's with Wutai but why not bring Cloud? I definitely think we'll get more hints in game 2, during the flashback.

As for Aerith, I think she has a 'knowing'. She knows she has to die but she doesn't remember everything that happened in the OG. I think its' more like the Aerith who is dead contacted this Aerith through the lifestream and basically said, 'he's changing everything but we NEED to die to be in the lifestream to save the Planet.

I think Aerith WILL die in game WHATEVER but it will be HER choice. I think that's going to be a big part of her plot, because only when she becomes the lifestream can she stop Sephiroth, and Sephiroth is very much going to be about getting her to join him, instead of killing her but she'll force his hand. It gives Aerith a very big HERO'S death, that's not just about making Cloud sad but about accepting that to save the planet, she has to follow in destiny's footsteps.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 20 May 2020, 13:17

So, having watched several videos about Crisis Core/Zack... APPARENTLY, Zack and Cloud were held for FOUR YEARS under Nibelheim mansion, being experimented on and that’s where Cloud was given Jenova cells and why he lost his memory— his body just couldn’t handle it because he was put through the SOLDIER process and the Jenova process at once. Zack did better, having previously been exposed to Mako and THEN Jenova cells... so perhaps if Zack *IS* still alive and was somehow either spared by Sephiroth (whether actively or passively), it’s because he would actually make a better vessel for Sephiroth than Cloud?
ASPIRING WRITERS!

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 May 2020, 08:51

https://youtu.be/eEgCYJhkHtg

So, this guy is drawing on stuff that’s been printed in the Ultimania for FF7R (magazine that contains interviews and lore from the creators of the game), and translated from someone on Twitter... but DAMN interesting theories
ASPIRING WRITERS!