Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
Gremlin

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Post by Gremlin » 10 Oct 2019, 23:50

Anyone else excited for this? Alternate form Zigzagoon, Weezing, Ponyta? Evolution of Farfetch’d....Sirfetch’d. I mean seriously a duck knight with a leek jousting pole, I am down for it.

As some who still plays Pokemon go, i am super excited for this.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Spectral Knight

Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield

Post by Spectral Knight » 11 Oct 2019, 05:18

This is the first "proper" Pokemon game in over 15 years that I'm considering getting. Loved Red and Blue, played a bit of Gold, then massively dropped out of the franchise, mainly as I kind of abandoned handhelds. However with the Switch now my main console (certainly the one I use most due to commute times and overnight stays with work away from home), I'm intrigued by it. So this is definitely on my potentials list.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 Oct 2019, 12:57

I guess I’m buying a switch...

I guess I’m actually most curious as to how well they’ll interpret British lore and culture through the lens of Pokémon. We already have a new monster based on a teapot, and I really feel like other than Grookey, the other two starters are definitely creatures you’d expect to see in the English countryside... although I do really hope that Scorbunny isn’t another fire/fighting, but I think that it will be

I’m glad that alternate forms are returning, not sure how I feel about Dynomaxing, and just really hope that this is the first even numbered main title without a new Eeveelution just to make things annoying for the hardcore fans 🤷‍♂️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 11 Oct 2019, 13:21

Nooooooo. We need an eeveelution. Got my hopes pinned for a steel-type and/or poison.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Oct 2019, 10:13

There’s a few specific things I’m hopeful for this gen:
-Another useful early bug type that can stay with your team throughout: Ribombee/Cutiefly and the Charjabug line were really useful all the way through Sun and Moon.
-A regional dragon based on the one on the Welsh flag (it seems we’re getting the Wolves from the English coat of arms as legendaries, and Ponyta’s new form is possibly a nod to the Unicorn being the national animal of Scotland— no no, for serious reals), so this could make sense too.
-Strong evolutions for the starters— S+M had strong starters and after a couple of lack-lustre generations (notable exception being the Greninja line), it would be a shame to see them go back to being kind of meh
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 13 Oct 2019, 17:42

I am counting down the days...avoiding buying Witcher 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 until Christmas because I need my schedule clear for this! Pokemon is my comfort game- its always fun, you can play it infinitely etc

I already have my first few playthroughs planned!

1) To stretch out the game I'm going in as blind as possible with set rules: a) 18 pokemon on rotation (one for each type), b) When I heal at a pokemon centre those 6 go into a box for an hour or so and I have to use 6 others (of my 18), c) can't exceed the level of the next gym leader's pokemon (rather than overleveling)...then complete the pokedex

Then running in the background when I move onto other things in my life:
2) A Galarian new pokemon only team
3) A British themed team (including older pokemon)
4) Nuzlocke's until I actually complete one

Then I'll be ready to move on probably.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 15 Oct 2019, 08:29

As someone that's never officially owned a Pokemon game (I had PC emulated versions of Red and Crystal) Im excited to finally have a console I can play Pokemon on.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 Oct 2019, 10:43

Crutey Anth wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 17:42
I am counting down the days...avoiding buying Witcher 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 until Christmas because I need my schedule clear for this! Pokemon is my comfort game- its always fun, you can play it infinitely etc

I already have my first few playthroughs planned!

1) To stretch out the game I'm going in as blind as possible with set rules: a) 18 pokemon on rotation (one for each type), b) When I heal at a pokemon centre those 6 go into a box for an hour or so and I have to use 6 others (of my 18), c) can't exceed the level of the next gym leader's pokemon (rather than overleveling)...then complete the pokedex

Then running in the background when I move onto other things in my life:
2) A Galarian new pokemon only team
3) A British themed team (including older pokemon)
4) Nuzlocke's until I actually complete one

Then I'll be ready to move on probably.
... I can’t even with this level of organisation.

My play throughs are usually...
1) All new Pokemon (because that’s part of the fun!)— I don’t have one for each type, but I always make sure that I have coverage moves and tend to favour dual-types... although I DO also consider using legendary/mythical Pokémon as “cheating” for a first play through and I don’t know why.
2) The “perfect” team. This is usually where I do research and look at which Pokémon are actually the most solid team for the region and usually means you need spares— so not quite 18, but I DO think that I usually have about ten on rotation, and my team (including subs) has to factor in villain team, gym leaders, legendaries, elite four, and rival. A lot of the times this means that at least one or two of my monsters aren’t necessarily strong against some of these elements by virtue of typing, but it’s about coverage and overall usefulness. While I usually enjoy this play through, it’s also typically the one that I find less of a challenge due to being OP/too well prepared to see the game as a challenge.
3) The one I usually find the most frustrating— kind of like a Nuzlocke but also not, in that I HAVE to pick Pokémon that I haven’t used on either of my previous runs, and the one where I can only catch (with the intent to use)one specific Pokémon per route/area.

One of my friends used to do a run where he could only use the team that Ash uses in the anime, and as someone who doesn’t watch the TV show, I don’t do this once, but apparently it was almost impossible in Black and White due to not being able to catch a Pikachu...
ASPIRING WRITERS!

bamf

Post by bamf » 05 Nov 2019, 17:41

Anyone been keeping up with the leaks happening? This sure is an...interesting generation. I don’t hate a lot of it but they are definitely taking it in a new direction.
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange, Nightcrawler, Iron Patriot

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 31 Jan 2020, 02:31

I’m really surprised this topic’s lain so dormant!

So I got Shield. I’ve actually really enjoyed this game and I’m now on my third playthrough.

First team was Inteleon line, Corviknight, Coalossal, Galarian Rapidash, the new fighting type Octopus, and Toxtricity, with early game monsters Boltund, Orbeetle, and Galarian Meowth/Purrserker being really useful to a point, but then being largely unnecessary due to the rest of my team... until I got to the postgame challenges where I really felt how much of a glass cannon the new Rapidash is.

For my second playthrough, I went with Scorbunny as my starter, and the rest of my team consisted of Grimmsnarl, Mr. Rime, Runerigus, Dreadnaw and Copperajah. So, a more tanky team, and I have to admit, more of a mix of typings that I wouldn’t normally use, especially a pure steel type, and i’m usually not keen on ice types either (generally just have my water type learn an ice move for coverage).

My third playthrough has seen some heavy line up changes because this is the one where I allow myself more leeway in terms of not only using new Pokemon... so at the moment my line up is Rillaboom, Quagsire, Malamar, Ribombee, Salazzle (which, incidentally? They seem to have altered the gender distribution for in this gen), and Dracozolt. I feel like other than missing a fighting type, this is probably the most well rounded team i’ve Used, with all but my starter having some weird dual typings.

ANYWAY.

Favourite starter: Sobble line. Speedy and hits hard.
Favourite new monster: in terms of design and concept? Definitely Coalossal. His ability is really useful too, changing him from a slow tank to a FAST tank in only a few hits. Corviknight is a close second, and shout out to Toxtricity for making me consider the poison typing as more viable.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

ev82

Post by ev82 » 11 Feb 2020, 02:51

You guys: https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/expansionpass/

I did my first playthrough when the game came out and have been waiting on Pokemon Home before I do my second. My first team: Cinderace, Drednaw, Boltund, Appletun, Galarian Rapidash and Frosmoth. Once I start round two I plan on having the following team in the end, but you never know: Inteleon, Corviknight, Coalossal, Cursola, Grimmsnarl,Toxitricity.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 11 Feb 2020, 18:33

Hey, what do you guys mean about a new playthorugh? You guys start over the game again from scratch? You delete it? Can you keep your previously catched pokemon?
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Feb 2020, 11:48

manuel_mc89 wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 18:33
Hey, what do you guys mean about a new playthorugh? You guys start over the game again from scratch? You delete it? Can you keep your previously catched pokemon?
So, if you create a new profile on your Switch console? You can start a new game without losing your previous save file :)
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 13 Feb 2020, 16:34

Pokémon home is out now as well. So you can transfer your Pokémon over and start fresh.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 16 Feb 2020, 20:27

Cool to know, thanks guys
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

ev82

Post by ev82 » 19 Feb 2020, 02:09

Am I the only one who is excited for the expansion pass???
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 19 Feb 2020, 10:56

Im very excited, i want to continue playing, i liked this game, although i found it to be WAY TOO easy, i actually had to go out of my way to make it harder, i ended up like training two teams at once.

Also, after some thinking i feel like one of the many problems with it its that there are way too many nice pokemon available to you, like you cant just easily settle with one team because right after theres another great one you could get. Never thought i would find that to be a problem lol.

Also, i really didnt like the starters, i got Sobble and looking at the others i think i like more the design of the monkey, but still, i dont like that they are too anthropomorphic, like that rabbit is a straight up digimon.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Feb 2020, 14:34

I think what we have to remember is that these are all ages games— if you really want to, you can beat most of these games purely by over-levelling your Pokémon, which, this gen, is even easier than previous instalments. I think that this is probably the easiest game to complete the starter triumvirate of grass/water/fire on your team (you can have one of each type by the time you reach the first gym). The new features are nice, and so are the constant monthly changes to the max raid battles, and while I don’t think this is the BEST pokemon game, it was great to show off what the franchise can do on a more powerful console and what we can expect in the future... I’m just hopeful for a Diamond/Pearl remake!
ASPIRING WRITERS!

bamf

Post by bamf » 19 Feb 2020, 15:40

I'm really excited for the expansion pass. I ended up really liking this game. Did it have some "issues"? Sure. But it was still totally enjoyable, and had some really cool 'mon designs. I actually ended up ditching my starter which may be the first time I've ever done that on an initial playthrough. I don't HATE Rillaboom, there were just so many other monsters I wanted to mess with.

My team ended up as Corviknight, Toxtricity (amped), Drednaw, Frosmoth, Flapple, and Thievul. I used Dubwool (who I loved) until I found a Snom and he was unfortunately the most expendable of the team.

I started a new playthrough on a different account and am planning on using Hatterene, Centiskorch, Copperajah, Dragapult, and maybe a couple of older 'mons to round out the team.

I really like the direction the games are going. I just hope they take what they learned from the jump to new hardware and expand.
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange, Nightcrawler, Iron Patriot

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 20 Feb 2020, 12:48

I also love that this is the first game that I can remember where if you don’t want to use a fighting type, you have some real solid alternate options to beat dark types due to the new bug types being so strong. Orbeetle was with me until the mid-game point of my first play, and I really enjoy that Cutiefly/Ribombee are so useful in Sword and Shield too. Orbeetle suffers a little against the dark types due to its dual typing later in the game, when Team Yell’s members have access to decent dark type moves, but for the most part, I feel like this gen and the last gen have done really well to un-nerf the bug type with some clever dual typings and making them more viable late game.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 20 Feb 2020, 23:14

I agree, i really like Ribombee since last generation, he was on my initial team: Inteleon, Kingler (i just love this pokemon), Ninetales, Ribombee, Grimmsnarl and Tsareena, other team players were/are Corviknight, Noivern, Toxapex (i love it), and Aegislash (the first time i ever cared about a steel type)