unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Magic: The Gathering

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
AntiBody

Magic: The Gathering

Post by AntiBody » 12 May 2018, 19:00

Anybody play this? I used to in the mid-90's during my adolescence, but gave it up after a while.

Cut to my 10 year old nephew recently telling me that he plays (he's growing up to be such a geek and I'm so proud), so I've gotten back into it. It's great! They've come out with some really cool expansions and stuff! I've been building decks mostly out of the Theros and Amonkhet expansions, mostly because I've always really loved Ancient Greek and Egyptian aesthetics. But this is so fun!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

tokenBG1009

Re: Magic: The Gathering

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 May 2018, 02:49

I used to play as a teenager, but I haven't had the time or money to play in years. I wanted to try Magic Online, but I couldn't figure out the UI. They recently started beta for another Magic Online type that's similar to Hearthstone that looks really impressive.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 15 May 2018, 13:25

I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh, showed a vague interest in other card games, and always sort of admired Magic for basically being the original, honestly out of all the other card games it was the one I looked into the most.

Really my problem is that I just don't like the "collectible" part of collectible card games, the effort you have to go through to play with the exact cards you want to use puts me off, I just want to think of a strategy and then use it. Luckily Yu-Gi-Oh had a lovely online platform where you could just build whatever deck and use it against real opponents.

Is there one like that for Magic maybe?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 May 2018, 06:45

There are a few. Cockatrice and...maybe Gatherer is still one.

I don't know how up to date they are as I haven't used them in over a decade now though.

I was never a good player myself. I'm not much for strategy when it comes to card games. Or anything else for that matter. Plus I never had the money to chase the best cards. That's always been my issue with CCGs and why I appreciate games like Legendary or Ascension. They're essentially CCGs, but all the cards are included so the playing field is even.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man