Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Captain Marvel 2

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Nu-D

Re: Captain Marvel 2

Post by Nu-D » 12 May 2021, 18:39

That makes sense from a fan perspective, Anna. But I’m not quite so cynical about the writers decisions.

I think they were tasked with taking the character and fitting her into the MCU without the Inhumans and without the original Ms. Marvel (Carol). They asked what are the most important parts to keep, and of course settled on the civilian identity. Needing a new power source, they settled on the bracelet, which I gather does come from the comics as a family heirloom.

My guess is the bracelet’s power will often look like the embiggen power, but it will be an energy field instead of her actual body—maybe more like Hisako meets Green Lantern.

Maybe “true fans” will feel that’s not close enough and the writers missed the point. But I bet the writers thought they were staying as close as they could given the limits of the MCU, the medium, and the budget.
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 May 2021, 18:42

Nu-D wrote:
12 May 2021, 18:39
That makes sense from a fan perspective, Anna. But I’m not quite so cynical about the writers decisions.

I think they were tasked with taking the character and fitting her into the MCU without the Inhumans and without the original Ms. Marvel (Carol). They asked what are the most important parts to keep, and of course settled on the civilian identity. Needing a new power source, they settled on the bracelet, which I gather does come from the comics as a family heirloom.

My guess is the bracelet’s power will often look like the embiggen power, but it will be an energy field instead of her actual body—maybe more like Hisako meets Green Lantern.

Maybe “true fans” will feel that’s not close enough and the writers missed the point. But I bet the writers thought they were staying as close as they could given the limits of the MCU, the medium, and the budget.
Like I said about the budget, come on Disney.... You print money and use it as kleenex.

You might be right about the other stuff though. I mean I'll still watch it. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can pull it off I guess.

It gives me pause about She-Hulk though. Ms. Marvel is different than Cap/Winter Soldier and Wanda Vision in that they don't have an established character as the main protagonist. So if this is not good, I'll be really worried about my She-Hulk, who is one of my favorite 5 characters in comics.
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 May 2021, 18:44

Anna Raven wrote:
12 May 2021, 18:42
Nu-D wrote:

Like I said about the budget, come on Disney.... You print money and use it as kleenex.

You might be right about the other stuff though. I mean I'll still watch it. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can pull it off I guess.
I mean, there’s a budget. There has to be a budget. You can’t let the producers have a completely blank check.
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 May 2021, 18:45

Nu-D wrote:
12 May 2021, 18:44
Anna Raven wrote:
Nu-D wrote:

I mean, there’s a budget. There has to be a budget. You can’t let the producers have a completely blank check.
If the budget is precluding you from doing the main character's SFX, then rework it or cancel it. That's my opinion.
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 May 2021, 18:47

Anna Raven wrote:
12 May 2021, 18:45
Nu-D wrote:
12 May 2021, 18:44
Anna Raven wrote:

If the budget is precluding you from doing the main character's SFX, then rework it or cancel it. That's my opinion.
Fair point.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 May 2021, 18:59

I mean did anyone actually think she was going to be an Inhuman?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 May 2021, 19:29

I kind of did? My thought was they'd hand wave it. One night she went to sleep and the next night she woke up with powers.

The Avengers game did a great job of integrating the character without lingering on her origin much. So it could have been done.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 May 2021, 00:17

Oof, that change is disappointing. I agree entirely with Anna on this. A big part of Kamala's identity is in her powers and her family/culture. I feel like she's a character that could carry a show involving the silliness of stretchy powers. The Flash had a stretchy character and while he didn't look AMAZING he looked decent enough. I'm sure the budget on this will be higher than that and could go towards making it look better.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 May 2021, 01:09

There was no way we were getting a Inhuman. Like even the besr case scenario, no company would want to saddle a new series with the garbage fire that was the Inhumans’ series. I don’t claim to know anything about Hollywood but I’m not that much of a comic fan that I think they would make that move. She would be more likely to be part Skrull or somehow connected to the super soldier serum.

Actually make it Pym Particle related. Not enough of the MCU is connected to that. Most superheroes are powered either by some part of Stark or Wakandan tech, the super soldier serum, or an Infinity Stone. I think Spidey is the one person outside that realm…right?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 13 May 2021, 01:16

I'm sure her family/culture won't change, right? They're just taking the inhuman out of it, because they don't need Inhumans anymore, now that they've got mutants. It makes sense why they wouldn't want to touch Inhumans given they flopped in comics and the show, and they want to introduce the Eternals and mutants, so having Inhumans with its royal family/secret history will just be too much.

I don't think we'll never see Inhumans, just not until far in the future, during Fantastic Four and they'll probably be in some alternate universe. I think it's safe to say that the Inhumans from the ABC shows are non-existent. I think SHIELD is basically non-canon at this point. Netflix shows are still in a limbo of 'maybe?'.

But yeah, changing her powers will be a big change. We still aren't 100% confirmed on it, so I wouldn't trust rumors just yet(didn't Grace also got into an argument with the director of Birds of Prey given she was spreading false rumors and then disagreeing with the director that those rumors were false). So I'm hoping she still has her powers.

As for people who have other powers...I'd say Wanda and Strange are both powered by magic, with the stone enhancing or awakening it.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 May 2021, 01:51

Oh yeah great point!

Oh without a doubt I think her culture isn’t being changed, all the photos seem to be comic accurate.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 May 2021, 02:00

If Kamala isn't an Inhuman it's not a big deal. The truth is Kamala was only a Inhuman in the comics because they were doing a big push for Inhumans at the time, hoping to replace mutants with Inhumans, being in the middle of the Fox/MCU wars. As I said, I'm not really upset about that.

But changing the origin is one thing. Changing the powers is quite another. And then you change the origins AND the powers, well I think it shows complete disrespect for the character, the fans of the character, and the creator of the character.

If Spider-man was not bitten by some kind of enhanced spider and didn't have powers reminiscent of a spider, he would cease to be Spider-Man, even if he was a Brooklyn kid with an aunt, named Peter Parker. The powers and character design are part of the whole equation. You can fiddle with a character's origin story, that's one thing. But then redesigning almost everything about their Superhero side from the ground up is another thing.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 May 2021, 05:32

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 May 2021, 01:09
Actually make it Pym Particle related. Not enough of the MCU is connected to that. Most superheroes are powered either by some part of Stark or Wakandan tech, the super soldier serum, or an Infinity Stone. I think Spidey is the one person outside that realm…right?
Off the top of my head and keeping only to heroes seen in the movies...

Thor - Space Alien/"Asgardian God"
Valkyrie - Space Alien/"Asgardian God"
Sif - Space Alien/"Asgardian God"
Loki (I know, he's technically a villain, but he did fight Thanos and the Dark Elves, so he is an ally when it suits him) - Frost Giant trained in sorcery
Scarlet Witch - Now debatable, initially implied to be powered by the Mind Stone, now it looks like she's an innate magician
Star-Lord - initially half Celestial, now unpowered with Ravager/"scavenged" alien tech
Gamora - unpowered alien
Drax - seemingly unpowered alien
Groot - tree alien
Rocket - genetic / cybernetic experiment
Nebula - cyborg alien
Mantis - alien (?)
Dr Strange - Master of the Mystic Arts. Previously had access to the Time Stone but many other magical abilities besides.
Wong - Sorcerer
Howard the Duck - Unconfirmed origin. Possible refugee from an anamorphic dimension if anything like his comic origin.

So yeah there's quite a few other "origins", but a lot can be ruled out as alien I guess.

MCU "legacy" series opens up a broader base...

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 May 2021, 06:08

For me, Kamala's core character has always been about her civilian identity. As long as they stay true to her heritage, her family, her nerdiness, and her friends, they can change her powers and origin and I honestly wouldn't care.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 13 May 2021, 10:50

They cast a Pakistani American actress in the role. Her ethnic heritage is the most unique defining trait of the character. I think we can be pretty sure that’s the one thing they kept above all else.
He/him/his

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 May 2021, 23:55

It's okay Anna Raven, I agree with you on this. It's silly to bring in a character and change one of their core traits. Yes, the Marvel Universe is generally about the people beneath the masks, but their powers are an identifier as well. Johnny Storm isn't The Human Torch without being able to set himself on fire. Piotr Rasputin isn't Colossus if he can't armor up.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

P-90

Post by P-90 » 14 May 2021, 03:21

Anna Raven wrote:
13 May 2021, 02:00
If Kamala isn't an Inhuman it's not a big deal. The truth is Kamala was only a Inhuman in the comics because they were doing a big push for Inhumans at the time, hoping to replace mutants with Inhumans, being in the middle of the Fox/MCU wars. As I said, I'm not really upset about that.

But changing the origin is one thing. Changing the powers is quite another. And then you change the origins AND the powers, well I think it shows complete disrespect for the character, the fans of the character, and the creator of the character.

If Spider-man was not bitten by some kind of enhanced spider and didn't have powers reminiscent of a spider, he would cease to be Spider-Man, even if he was a Brooklyn kid with an aunt, named Peter Parker. The powers and character design are part of the whole equation. You can fiddle with a character's origin story, that's one thing. But then redesigning almost everything about their Superhero side from the ground up is another thing.
I agree.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'