Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Disney + Rewatch: X-Men: TAS

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
XtremeOne1

Disney + Rewatch: X-Men: TAS

Post by XtremeOne1 » 27 Nov 2019, 04:27

So I was combing through my Disney + and was thinking of watching X-Men: The Animated Series. I even stated it. Only issue was I kept pausing to explain things to my boyfriend...I felt a better outlet to discuss the series might be with actual X-Men fans.

I was thinking we could even have a rewatch of the series together. When I first watched it, I was just a kid and wasn't exactly on the up and up on the X-Men mythology(like Jubilee being Asian...) and coming at it from a new angle could be interesting. And after we wrap up TAS, we can move on to Evolution :D.

The questions remains; who is interested and how do we do it? Should we devote a week to two episodes? Do we spoiler tag?

Let me know what you guys think!

EvilMonkeyPope

Re: Disney + Rewatch: X-Men: TAS

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 27 Nov 2019, 09:21

Are the episodes in airing order, viewing order, or other?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Nov 2019, 10:12

Eugh... would be well up for this, but we're not getting Disney+ until the end of March. Cue pantomime-esque booing and hissing.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Nov 2019, 11:44

Spectral Knight wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 10:12
Eugh... would be well up for this, but we're not getting Disney+ until the end of March. Cue pantomime-esque booing and hissing.

This is payback for yall getting Marvel movies before us *shakes fist like an old person*
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 27 Nov 2019, 12:47

Spectral Knight wrote:
Oh that's nuts. I thought it was a worldwide launch. I mean, given that half our members ur UK based, we could just wait....haha.

I'm really shocked they are launching so late for you all. I'm trying to think of the "whys" and I can't.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Nov 2019, 14:42

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 09:21
Are the episodes in airing order, viewing order, or other?
Be careful. I read an article that Disney royally messed up the sequence of the episodes. They are neither accurate in terms of viewing nor air date order, especially the later seasons. The article mentioned there are viewing guides that do a good job listing which order one should watch them in using episode titles and I think it even listed such a suggested order itself.

Just figured you'd want to know before diving in headfirst.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Nov 2019, 18:06

XtremeOne1 wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 12:47
Spectral Knight wrote:
Oh that's nuts. I thought it was a worldwide launch. I mean, given that half our members ur UK based, we could just wait....haha.

I'm really shocked they are launching so late for you all. I'm trying to think of the "whys" and I can't.
I think it’s a historical rights issue - as all programming and movies are sold into different broadcasters there may be exclusivities that need to expire. That or it might be technical - launching a new service globally could be a massive server investment so it’d make sense to go market by market. It’s not unusual, WWE network also did a staggered roll out

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 01 Dec 2019, 18:26

I was thinking about going through it too, haven't watched since I was a kid watching it air back in the 90's so lots of surprises. And probably groaning at seeing how much worse it is in reality than I remember.

Thanks for the heads up on the episode order, Anna - found a good list here (gotta scroll down a bit to the episode list): https://decider.com/2019/11/27/x-men-ca ... ing-order/

Quick thoughts on Night of the Sentinels, Part 1:
Spoiler: show
(Obligatory note, I didn't really start reading the comics until 2000 so I have a bad handle on what originated in the comics and what was new/changed for the cartoon)
- The Sentinels feel ridiculous, even for a Saturday morning cartoon. The amount of property damage the first one causes is ridiculous. As is the fact Jubilee runs right by one 'hiding' in an alleyway.
- It's interesting how the script veers between scenes that efficiently and naturally give us insight into the characters and their backgrounds, and then others that are super clunky exposition. The banter between Rogue and Storm, and Gambit flirting with the sales clerk work very well, but then we get stuff like Jubilee's "I used to be a normal kid!" monologue or Cyclops' speech with Xavier at the end.
- Overall, it's a pretty good intro episode - everyone gets the chance to show off their personality and powers except Jean (well, and Prof X's aren't clear, since all he does is... sees a memory of Jubilee in the room? I'll chalk it up to 'psychic traces' or something).
- Why is Morph not in the intro?? /s (His laugh sounds like the Joker, heh)
- "Trail went cold... also, I got bit by a dog."

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 03 Dec 2019, 05:32

Night of the Sentinels, Part 2:
- Boy, the animation quality sure degraded for this one. Combination of sloppy drawings, errors (like gloves disappearing) and awkward animations.
- Really weird story progression by cutting away from Morph's death to the X-Men returning to base, only to then immediately show the scene anyways a few minutes later. Why not just show it all in order?
- While I certainly expect they will vary from episode to episode as the plot demands, right now it feels like Rogue is a bit less powerful than usual (witness how easily the Sentinel takes her out of the first fight) while Cyclops is destroying everything in sight. He might take down more Sentinels by himself than the rest of the team combined this episode.
- I want to see more of Madam President. She conducts business in Bruce Lee workout gear while working out in the Oval Office. And manages to scare Gyrich into taking his privately-run company overseas with one conversation.
- Overall, kinda a weak cap to the opening two-parter.

Enter Magneto:
- I love this version of Beast... purposely staying in jail to play by the rules is great.
- Oh hi there Cameron Hodge
- Sabretooth just appears out of thin air. In his orange and brown spandex. Sure.
- "C'mon, they're gonna kill him!" "Good." "....What?" I just love the way Cyclops delivers that line.
- Interesting in that this version of Magneto seems to not be a Holocaust survivor (though he could be), but instead we learn he was in a small country and his family was killed in a war.
- Obviously this is with the benefit of hindsight, but, you just know Prof X is gonna look like a moron re: Sabretooth.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 03 Dec 2019, 05:58

Ha good for Magnus for going ahead. I was going to wait for our UK folks to come back to this thread, but I'l still interact.

Interesting that Magneto isn't a Holocaust survivor. I'm guessing that had more to do with "It's a Saturday morning kid show and the Holocaust is too dark" then anything else.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 04 Dec 2019, 05:04

Yeah sorry, it is kinda lame the UKers won't be able to start until Spring. I doubt I'll get that far though, should be easy to catch up. I won't go past S1 I think for awhile.

Deadly Reunions:
- Oh hi Deadpool, didn't expect to see you here.
- Sabretooth's mindscape is actually pretty rad, lots of cool designs in here.
- Not sure we really needed the mini-recap of last episode here, especially since the show already had an actual recap...
- Kinda weird to do another Magneto episode right after the last one, but I plot-wise it ties in pretty well, especially after it's revealed that Sabretooth ties into it
- Xavier just floats his hoverchair up and flies over his desk, amazing.
- "I'll penetrate his recesses!" "Kiss this!" hoyay!
- "Perhaps... a toupee." Oh Mags, you jokester
- Happened last episode too, but Magneto really just... sorta fires generic energy blasts at times. Blasts Rogue, blasts bricks...
- "Those bricks weren't that heavy!" Uh sure Rogue, ya know, not everyone is as damage resistant as you...
- Magneto's helmet isn't psychic proof! I wonder if this is something else that'll pop up later on.
- We get an actual look into Magneto's childhood here, and yeah, doesn't look like the Holocaust, just generic soldiers.
- Wolverine's healing factor either really sucks, or he doesn't have one. Sabretooth's slash here would barely faze the regular version, and even if we were to assume it's a horrible gut wound that just looks superficial due to being a kid's cartoon, it would still heal pretty quickly. It'll be interesting to see how consistent this remains across the series.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Dec 2019, 06:22

These reviews make me remember how much I miss TAS Morph. There was something dark and twisted there in his humour, even when he was "normal" that made him a standout character for so few appearances. Wish this version was was adopted into a comics continuity and ended up in 616... (I know technically he's 616's Changeling, but y'know what I mean).

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 06 Dec 2019, 11:21

Wolverine has some of the best lines in this series.

"Go play pick up sticks!" From when he slashes the Hellfire guard's batton then throws him down the stairs is my favourite.

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 10 Dec 2019, 00:17

Gibbering Fool wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 11:21
Wolverine has some of the best lines in this series.

"Go play pick up sticks!" From when he slashes the Hellfire guard's batton then throws him down the stairs is my favourite.
Egg sucking piece of gutter trash is my personal fav.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 11 Dec 2019, 05:53

Captive Hearts:
This is a really weak episode, IMO. I'll admit that I've never really liked the Morlocks, but I think this episode does them a disservice. Callisto is just your run of the mill Saturday Morning Villain. If they referred to her powers at all, I didn't notice it, she might as well just be human. I don't think any of the Morlocks aside from Callisto, Leech and Sunder (who gets a lot more screentime than he deserves) even get named. The majority of Morlocks don't even look non-human or all that ugly given the animation style, which really undermines their whole "we have to live underground because we can't pass as human" schtick.

Other random thoughts:
- The opening sequence with the Danger Room is pretty silly. "You need to train to face threats like those you'll encounter out there... so anyways, here are some buzzsaws and tentacles."
- Wolverine is still healing from his injuries, lulz
- The sudden romance triangle between Wolverine and Jean is hilarious. And hey, there's the glorious "Wolverine pines over a photo of Jean" meme.
- Callisto saw that footage of Cyclops from... where, exactly?
- The Storm/Callisto fight comes out of absolutely NOWHERE. Yes, I know it's a thing in the comics, but at least there the 'duel to the death for leadership' is sold as a thing that exists amongst the Morlocks. Here it's Storm's suggestion, and Callisto just goes along with it.
- Also, they duel with Darth Maul lightsabers.
- Storm wins and offers them a place at the mansion. They turn it down. Storm then puts Callisto to 'rule until she returns'. (Sadly, she does not awesomely shank her) Why do I get the sense we're never seeing the Morlocks again?

Overall, I'd say it's a weak adaptation of the comics story, without the best parts like Storm's big badass moment of triumph or Paul Smith's art.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 16 Feb 2020, 21:50

Cold Vengeance: (S1E6)
Wolverine leaves in a huff and goes to play in the snow for awhile, leading to an episode of him facing off with Sabretooth. Not a bad plot, and the writers actually do a good job here not stretching it out unnecessarily, spending plenty of time on starting the Genosha plot.

- Sabretooth looks absolutely ridiculous going around the arctic in his bright orange spandex.
- Sabretooth had time to set up explosives on a bridge for Wolverine? Okay, sure. Also, he repeats the trick later in the episode. Dude likes his TNT I guess.
- The argument between Cyclops and Gambit is absolutely ridiculous. Cyclops complains about Gambit "spreading lies" and "not following orders" then its just "it's dangerous for Gambit to spread unfounded rumors!" Like, holy shit that's dumb. Also with Beast in jail the masculine side of the team is incredibly toxic. Really needs a Colossus or Nightcrawler or someone for some positivity.
- Storm and Jubilee change into regular clothes, but Gambit is still wearing his regular uniform for some reason.
- Not sure why, but I really like the little lightning flash when Wolverine retracts his claws when saying "you didn't do this."
- Sabretooth says "You've got... one minute to save 'em!" The bombs explode two minutes later.
- The snow in Wolverine's eyes hurts... why?
Slave Island: (S1E7)
This one really condenses and excises a LOT of the comic story, but that's understandable given how complex it was. The biggest loss is probably the Havok plotline. Also a rather strange introduction of Cable, who is given the backstory of "guy who fought in the Leader's army then rebelled when he found out the Leader was evil."

- I can understand letting some of the mutants wear their suits since it helps their powers, but it's really weird to see all of them in full-on uniform getups. Especially Storm and Jubilee, as they were captured wearing normal clothes so that means they purposely gave them their uniforms.
- Mutants seen in the work camp: Blob, Avalanche, Pyro, Thunderbird, Caliban, Feral, Mystique, Northstar, Aurora, Sunfire, Rictor, Domino
- Holy shit Storm is a moron here. Really tough seeing her thinking attacking as soon as the collars were turned off was a good idea.
- What exactly was Gambit's plan for escaping? If it wasn't for Cable's unforeseen intercession there's no way he escapes.
- Cable what the hell is up with that eyeshadow
- "The wild man of Borneo." Yeah I'm sure that's a reference that all those 90s kids will get.
- What exactly was Gambit's plan for Storm? He just leaves her to die if Rogue hadn't suddenly shown up. I'm starting to think Gambit isn't the best at forward thinking...
- Cable just laughs awesomely when the wave hits.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 24 Mar 2020, 08:45

Is it any surprise that the first episode of TAS was the first thing I watched as the service started up today now that we've got Disney+. My thoughts on the opener:

Night of the Sentinels, Part 1:
Wow, this was a nostalgia packed episode. The animation does appear a bit more dated than I imagine, but there was still some great visuals - Storm's effects in particular looked great. What this episode nailed though was the emotional beats... from Jube's parents questioning their love for her, to Cyclops's referencing him being with Charles for a long-time all adding weight. Also - the music! I've always kept an ear-worm for the opening theme of course, but I forgot how good the in-episode beats could be. Great stuff. Stand out character for me this episode was Gambit.

Jean did NOTHING this episode. You wouldn't have thought she's one of the biggest players in the franchise based on this episode. Rogue's dress? Super slutty. For someone who wants to avoid accidental physical contact it was surprising she was wandering around the mall in little more than a slip. Her exposition was a bit poor and at this stage, she's not really explained like the others. The Sentinels were a mixed bag - physically imposing, and having this set as night added to their imposing visuals. It was a bit ridiculous that one crashed through the wall and then started walking around the mall as normal.

I almost pissed my self laughing at the 'and I got bit by a dog' line. Totally unexpected and I hadn't remembered that line. :lol:

Did anyone catch the VERY brief cameo of Cannonball? I don't think this is actually in-continuity of the show mind.
Night of the Sentinels, Part 2:
The pacing of this episode was a little off, with things that didn't quite make sense. Like Beast being left behind being shown in flashback in Wolverine's memories. Also, the X-Men seemed to deal far better with the Sentinels at the factory, rather than outside the facility. Weird.

Jean still hasn't done much yet. Interesting how Jubes dashed to Gambit upon her rescue - I see much more of a connection between these two than the classic Jubilee / Wolverine connection.

Also - foster parents who aren't complete arseholes. I liked that Jubilee's move to the school was one that wasn't out of an emergency, but part of a considered decision.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 24 Mar 2020, 20:05

I used to be obsessed with this show when it was first aired, a few of my friends and I would quote it often. Despite not having seen it for well over twenty years I still remember many of the lines, the little musical intros for some of the characters (such as Wolverine and Gladiator) and of course the awesome theme tune.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 24 Mar 2020, 20:13

D+ started today in our country, but I experience some technical problems. After a while the screen turns black but the sound keeps playing. Either it’s in their side or my provider‘s.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Mar 2020, 07:48

One of the things I've really noticed about TAS so far (6 episodes) is how well they nailed the serial nature, almost every episode ends if not on a cliffhanger as such, at least a tie into the next episide. I think it captured the "have to catch the next episode" feel much like a continuing comic story.

Having just finished Cold Heart I had to laugh at Gambit's interpretation of being undercover as a tourist. In his main costume!

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 28 Mar 2020, 06:50

Spectral Knight wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 07:48
One of the things I've really noticed about TAS so far (6 episodes) is how well they nailed the serial nature, almost every episode ends if not on a cliffhanger as such, at least a tie into the next episide. I think it captured the "have to catch the next episode" feel much like a continuing comic story.

Having just finished Cold Heart I had to laugh at Gambit's interpretation of being undercover as a tourist. In his main costume!
So much agreement! I get frustrated because lately it's "in" to sh*t on XM:TAS as not sophisticated or something, even on this forum, but it really pioneered serial storytelling in children's programming, and personally I'd much rather watch it than Batman:TAS (which I enjoy to an extent) because it cared SO much about character development.

And Gambit in general was a riot. Like, Storm and Jubilee are wearing tourist clothing but he's like, no I'm going to wear a pink muscle top with metal piping and a trenchcoat I look like a BEACH tourist! :lol:

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 28 Mar 2020, 11:19

What's even funnier is a couple of episodes earlier him and Rogue were wandering around the mansion in just their swim wear so he clearly does have other clothes. It's like does the man have any idea of appropriate attire in this cartoon?

There's funny things regarding costumes and clothes throughout really. Wolverine goes ski-ing in the arctic in quite sensible weather specific attire, gets attacked but saved by villagers. Who strip him down to his costume, which I guess he was wearing underneath his ski gear? Huh?

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 28 Mar 2020, 21:07

Spectral Knight wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 11:19
What's even funnier is a couple of episodes earlier him and Rogue were wandering around the mansion in just their swim wear so he clearly does have other clothes. It's like does the man have any idea of appropriate attire in this cartoon?

There's funny things regarding costumes and clothes throughout really. Wolverine goes ski-ing in the arctic in quite sensible weather specific attire, gets attacked but saved by villagers. Who strip him down to his costume, which I guess he was wearing underneath his ski gear? Huh?
I forgot about that episode. The only thing I can really say as an excuse is "The 90's." Also, I think the animators that made the show had no idea what was happening at any point so they just kinda did whatever they wanted. I have to say, though, it has some of the best English-speaking voice actors I've ever heard in a cartoon. Even with Jean's orgasmic fainting, and Rogue's ear piercing scream, these are for the most part the voices I picture when reading them, maybe bar Wolverine, Jean, and some minor characters.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 28 Mar 2020, 22:04

See, for me TAS Logan, Storm and Cyke are the voices of the characters. I still "hear" TAS Wolverine when I read his dialogue even now. Beast too probably, although he's probably not quite as poetic in comic panels as he is in the show. On the villain side they're pretty good from memory but it's been a long, long time since I've seen some of these so I'll have to report back after watching the rest of S1 (and S2 which from memory was the Savage Land / Sinister arc)

I kinda hear Rogue, but I also hear her Evolution voice actress too, so it's somewhere between those. Jean's a bit too "crying" - she really did get the shit end of the stick with her personification on TAS really, as unless she was Phoenix'd up she didn't do a whole lot.

Prof X is a weird one, I love his voice acting on the show but I also think Patrick Steward is such a good Charles it's hard to reconcile the two such different voices. He's definitely not a McAvoy though.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 02 Apr 2020, 20:58

I've been re-watching. It's oddly comforting to watch cartoons under blankets on weekends especially now that they don't mean anything anymore. I think the voice acting in this show by Wolverine and Storm in particular and to some extent Cyclops are iconic. It's kind of amazing that Hugh Jackman and James Mardsen were able to adapt these characters so well to the screen and be loved by the fan base that may have started watching this show as children.

It's no doubt for children so it makes me laugh from time to time and I love to catch little beats of clear directives from the TV Standards guidelines that makes it into the cartoon. I also think at Season 1 there may have been some discrepancy about where in the X-Timeline this universe, if they viewed it that way, is set. The show is pretty incongruent to if these are the original team, how long they've been together, how well they know each other and their enemies. But, it's still a joy.

The Phoenix Saga is particular is the best that's made it to screen, without a doubt. It's true enough to the source material (often even remaking panel for panel animation which is just beautiful), comprehensive and digestible, and engaging. My only critique is the treatment of Dazzler, who becomes a vapid basis for the Phoenix to experience jealousy.