Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
User avatar
Cable
Posts: 4116
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Cable » 21 Jul 2019, 20:51

As long as Beta Ray Bill doesn't show up.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

User avatar
P-90
Posts: 269
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 02:32

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by P-90 » 21 Jul 2019, 21:12

It would be nice to see Thor really showing his hinted at power levels, to cement him as the equivalent of Marvel's 'Superman' to those who don't read the comics, we've seen glimpses of his potential in the MCU, such as when he destroyed the landing crafts during the battle of Wakanda but, (as with the Hulk) I feel his power levels has never been shown consistently across the movies of the franchise.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1209
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 Jul 2019, 22:05

Think power levels are hard to equate, you're right in that Thor is nuts lower-level wise, being Class 100 and having the lightning powers at hand, as well as being ridiculously durable, but having a blaster, tank and scrapper roll into one makes it harder to have villains which are a convincing threat. Loki excels as he's not been a direct opponent as much as he is a conniving, manipulative little shit rather than a direct force to be battled.

I think to show Thor at his best you need ridiculous levels of power in the villains which would nominally be cosmic threats, which we've had a few of with Thanos. I don't mind a more grounded Thor on film.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18925
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Jul 2019, 22:24

Spectral Knight wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 22:05
Think power levels are hard to equate, you're right in that Thor is nuts lower-level wise, being Class 100 and having the lightning powers at hand, as well as being ridiculously durable, but having a blaster, tank and scrapper roll into one makes it harder to have villains which are a convincing threat. Loki excels as he's not been a direct opponent as much as he is a conniving, manipulative little shit rather than a direct force to be battled.

I think to show Thor at his best you need ridiculous levels of power in the villains which would nominally be cosmic threats, which we've had a few of with Thanos. I don't mind a more grounded Thor on film.
Yeah I agree...I’ve always said that the entirety of the MCU has been (except Captain America) have been depowered some. And honestly, I’m okay with it. I don’t think it’s necessarily about grounding (I do like my Thor as Kirby/Simonson as possible lol) but just brings things in a film to a more interesting level.

And Thor is too cool and rebellious to be the MCU’s Supes...Superman really has no direct parallel in the Mu. He’s like a mix of Thor, Captain America and Captain Marvel
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2569
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Nu-D » 21 Jul 2019, 22:57

I would have loved to see FosThor, but ugh, I hate Natalie Portman’s acting. Hopefully with a central role in this film she can maybe seem like she cares about it.

User avatar
Milkshake08
Posts: 1220
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 23:03

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Milkshake08 » 21 Jul 2019, 23:02

Nu-D wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 22:57
I would have loved to see FosThor, but ugh, I hate Natalie Portman’s acting. Hopefully with a central role in this film she can maybe seem like she cares about it.
She really isn't a very good actress. It still baffles me she has an Oscar and been nominated for others. But I'm glad we are getting Mighty Thor, so whatever!

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 4116
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Cable » 21 Jul 2019, 23:39

Blackcyclops wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 22:24


And Thor is too cool and rebellious to be the MCU’s Supes...Superman really has no direct parallel in the Mu.
He reminds me of Hyperion
8-)
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

User avatar
P-90
Posts: 269
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 02:32

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by P-90 » 21 Jul 2019, 23:41

Blackcyclops wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 22:24
Spectral Knight wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 22:05
Think power levels are hard to equate, you're right in that Thor is nuts lower-level wise, being Class 100 and having the lightning powers at hand, as well as being ridiculously durable, but having a blaster, tank and scrapper roll into one makes it harder to have villains which are a convincing threat. Loki excels as he's not been a direct opponent as much as he is a conniving, manipulative little shit rather than a direct force to be battled.

I think to show Thor at his best you need ridiculous levels of power in the villains which would nominally be cosmic threats, which we've had a few of with Thanos. I don't mind a more grounded Thor on film.
Yeah I agree...I’ve always said that the entirety of the MCU has been (except Captain America) have been depowered some. And honestly, I’m okay with it. I don’t think it’s necessarily about grounding (I do like my Thor as Kirby/Simonson as possible lol) but just brings things in a film to a more interesting level.

And Thor is too cool and rebellious to be the MCU’s Supes...Superman really has no direct parallel in the Mu. He’s like a mix of Thor, Captain America and Captain Marvel
Oh I agree, I like Thor as a character far more than Superman, I just meant it would be nice to see Thor and Hulk (and Doctor Strange) showing a power level similar to that of their comic book counterparts, able to hold the own against (and sometime even defeat) Superman.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

User avatar
P-90
Posts: 269
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 02:32

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by P-90 » 21 Jul 2019, 23:41

Cable wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 23:39
Blackcyclops wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 22:24


And Thor is too cool and rebellious to be the MCU’s Supes...Superman really has no direct parallel in the Mu.
He reminds me of Hyperion
8-)
And Gladiator and Sentry and Blue Marvel ;)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18925
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Blackcyclops » 22 Jul 2019, 00:53

Cable wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 23:39
Blackcyclops wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 22:24


And Thor is too cool and rebellious to be the MCU’s Supes...Superman really has no direct parallel in the Mu.
He reminds me of Hyperion
8-)
Lmao...

But Hyperion and Gladiator even are just pastiches (Blue Marvel is far from Superman beyond cosmetic things, it’s hilarious to bring him up)...

You bring them up but beyond similar looks and powers, the comparisons fall apart for what the characters represent and what Superman is (I will admit, some versions of Hyperion do come really really close)

Superman is such a unique figure at the big 2...It’s honestly why at his best, he can be interesting.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
XtremeOne1
Posts: 3804
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 16:03

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by XtremeOne1 » 22 Jul 2019, 01:51

So Valkyie is officially our first LGBTQ+ hero in the MCU. Apparently it will be a part of her character in Thor 4. That, and Lady Thor are the only thing making me excited for this movie(I wasn't a big fan of Ragnarok, which was VERY funny but also without heart and a terrible, practically sinful, waste of Cate Blanchett). Hopefully, this movie has a lot more depth and heart, and isn't all jokes(like, if someone's home planet blows up, maybe don't follow it up with an immediate joke.)

User avatar
Gremlin
Posts: 7317
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 16:55

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Gremlin » 22 Jul 2019, 10:01

XtremeOne1 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 01:51
So Valkyie is officially our first LGBTQ+ hero in the MCU. Apparently it will be a part of her character in Thor 4. That, and Lady Thor are the only thing making me excited for this movie(I wasn't a big fan of Ragnarok, which was VERY funny but also without heart and a terrible, practically sinful, waste of Cate Blanchett). Hopefully, this movie has a lot more depth and heart, and isn't all jokes(like, if someone's home planet blows up, maybe don't follow it up with an immediate joke.)
That was my biggest issue with Ragnorak. Whilst I liked the humour there were times it undercut the emotional scenes. I remember seeing the bit where Asgard blew up and the Asgardians looking on devastated....and then Korg makes some stupid quip and it totally ruined the moment.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3751
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Gibbering Fool » 22 Jul 2019, 10:32

I'm a big fan of Aaron's run with FosThor and I will argue with anyone who doesn't believe it's some off the best Thor stories out there. I hope they keep Jane's cancer. That sounds kind of nasty but it's an important part of the story. I do worry though that Taika won't be able to handle the gravity of something as serious as cancer though.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4300
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Anna Raven » 22 Jul 2019, 13:44

Gibbering Fool wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 10:32
I'm a big fan of Aaron's run with FosThor and I will argue with anyone who doesn't believe it's some off the best Thor stories out there. I hope they keep Jane's cancer. That sounds kind of nasty but it's an important part of the story. I do worry though that Taika won't be able to handle the gravity of something as serious as cancer though.
That would also be a really good explanation as to why we haven't seen her through several films.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
UrbanExplorer
Posts: 572
Joined: 07 Mar 2019, 23:06

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by UrbanExplorer » 22 Jul 2019, 14:07

Love and Thunder, Love and Thunder,
It’s an institute you can’t but wonder,
This I’ll tell you mortals,
You should jump safely into portals..

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 5367
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 22 Jul 2019, 21:48

Valkyrie's queen should be Carol Danvers. I wonder what else they’ll do storywise, as much remaining elements from the comics seem redundant in light of earlier movies. Beta Ray Bill would be great to see in the cybernetic horseflesh, but they’ve already done Surtur & Stormbreaker without him. Agents of SHIELD alluded to Amora the Enchantress, but her boytoy/lackey, Skurge the Executioner, was paired with Hela. (Could they substitute Ulik?) They also gave her Angela’s secret sister backstory. With the Asgardians in such disarray, the Godbutcher feels superfluous. It’s a bit late to develop The Warriors Three, but hopefully Sif is available to return. Oh, Jane Foster is becoming Thor, Goddess of Thunder. Since the SHAZAM angle has long been dropped, Natalie Portman better start hefting all the hammers!

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4300
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Anna Raven » 22 Jul 2019, 22:20

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 21:48
Valkyrie's queen should be Carol Danvers. I wonder what else they’ll do storywise, as much remaining elements from the comics seem redundant in light of earlier movies. Beta Ray Bill would be great to see in the cybernetic horseflesh, but they’ve already done Surtur & Stormbreaker without him. Agents of SHIELD alluded to Amora the Enchantress, but her boytoy/lackey, Skurge the Executioner, was paired with Hela. (Could they substitute Ulik?) They also gave her Angela’s secret sister backstory. With the Asgardians in such disarray, the Godbutcher feels superfluous. It’s a bit late to develop The Warriors Three, but hopefully Sif is available to return. Oh, Jane Foster is becoming Thor, Goddess of Thunder. Since the SHAZAM angle has long been dropped, Natalie Portman better start hefting all the hammers!
I'd love to see Gorr the Godbutcher in a movie.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
Wings
Posts: 1381
Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 14:42

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Wings » 22 Jul 2019, 23:50

Gibbering Fool wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 10:32
I'm a big fan of Aaron's run with FosThor and I will argue with anyone who doesn't believe it's some off the best Thor stories out there. I hope they keep Jane's cancer. That sounds kind of nasty but it's an important part of the story. I do worry though that Taika won't be able to handle the gravity of something as serious as cancer though.
Off the back of Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I'd say he definitely can. And I agree, I don't think you can do Jane Foster's Thor story any justice if you don't include her cancer.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 332
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 08:03

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Leo » 23 Jul 2019, 04:15

I love Jane Foster as Thor in the comics, so I'm excited (and worried) about bringing this to the MCU.
Avengers Draft: Hyperion, Invisible Woman, Manifold, Blue Marvel, Smasher, Starbrand, Abyss, Scarlet Spider

X-Draft: Cyclops, Psylocke, Colossus, Northstar, Nate Grey, Shatterstar, Cypher, Abigail Brand, Firestar, Madison Jeffries, Slipstream, Darkstar

User avatar
_Rick_
Posts: 687
Joined: 02 Aug 2011, 18:56

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by _Rick_ » 24 Jul 2019, 23:54

I'm honestly surprised at the positive reaction to this news. I always thought there was a consensus that Portman was one of the worst parts of the first 2 movies so her return seems strange in that regard. I assumed they'd adapt Aaron's storyline (if they ever used it) to Valkyrie or Sif.
I have to say, I'm not as confident as some that this will translate well. The jokey nature of these movies doesn't seem to lend itself well to be paired with the cancer storyline and after the negative reaction to fat Thor, the unworthiness question running concurrently with it might be shaky ground.
I'm really not looking forward for all the hot takes about that and about FosThor being too woke/not woke enough and the ensuing shitshow. I know some people live for it, but I could do without.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18925
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Jul 2019, 00:11

You can always just not read the hot-takes? I mean if it’s a good film, why does any of that matter? Guess I’m too woke, I’m back asleep cause as long as it’s good, I’m good lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 4116
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Cable » 25 Jul 2019, 00:36

Blackcyclops wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 00:11
You can always just not read the hot-takes? I mean if it’s a good film, why does any of that matter? Guess I’m too woke, I’m back asleep cause as long as it’s good, I’m good lol
Well the bummer is you see something about it posted somewhere and you want to talk with other people about it but the comments are everyone engaged in a giant pissing match. But thats pretty much everything on the internet now.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2569
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Nu-D » 25 Jul 2019, 01:54

_Rick_ wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 23:54
I'm honestly surprised at the positive reaction to this news. I always thought there was a consensus that Portman was one of the worst parts of the first 2 movies so her return seems strange in that regard. I assumed they'd adapt Aaron's storyline (if they ever used it) to Valkyrie or Sif.
I have to say, I'm not as confident as some that this will translate well. The jokey nature of these movies doesn't seem to lend itself well to be paired with the cancer storyline and after the negative reaction to fat Thor, the unworthiness question running concurrently with it might be shaky ground.
I'm really not looking forward for all the hot takes about that and about FosThor being too woke/not woke enough and the ensuing shitshow. I know some people live for it, but I could do without.
I’m sure they’ll be able to do it well. But I’m sorry Portman’s in it. The only good role I’ve seen her in was The Professional. I hear she was good in Black Swan. But everything else I’ve seen her do is wretchedly bad. (Eg. Star Wars and Thor).

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4300
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Jul 2019, 02:57

She was good in Garden State, Cold Mountain, V for Vendetta, and yes definitely Black Swan. Also her rap with the Lonely Island is one the greatest SNL bits of all time.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
XtremeOne1
Posts: 3804
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 16:03

Re: Thor 4 - Love and Thunder

Post by XtremeOne1 » 25 Jul 2019, 03:20

I don't blame her for Thor or Star Wars. EVERYONE is bad in Star Wars, and Thor, Jane was a terrible character that no actress could give charm. SHe's legit just "GIRL". Really, those films were barely saved by Tom Hiddleston and Hemsworth abs. I mean...are we really going to say Hemsworth is a better actor than Portman? I mean....come on....

Post Reply