Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

SPOILERS for Spiderman Far From Home

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Nu-D

SPOILERS for Spiderman Far From Home

Post by Nu-D » 27 Jun 2019, 18:06

A new SPOILER thread to discuss the film freely.

Gibbering Fool

Re: SPOILERS for Spiderman Far From Home

Post by Gibbering Fool » 29 Jun 2019, 05:47

Holy cow, when Mysterio revealled he was actually Tony Stark, and he'd used the Infinity Gauntlet to fake his own death and change his own identity to escape the responsibilities of parenthood...my mind was blown

:D

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Jul 2019, 01:14

This was very fun, as I expected. Make sure you stay for both mid and post credit scenes they are both worth staying for.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 03 Jul 2019, 06:54

I really liked it. It was a lot of fun, and better than Homecoming.

So I guess the mid-credit scene will mean no Peter appearances until his next movie?

ANd what did the last scene mean. I kept hoping for something with the Baxter building, but nope. Skrulls NOT secret invading and Fury on a space ship with Skrulls? I was confused.

Positives:
- Tom Holland - He's such a perfect teen Peter. He displays each aspect of who Peter is so well; nerdy, awkward, charming, funny, unsure of himself and brave. Just all of it. I don't think there is a better blend of Spider-Man and Peter. He's also the perfect representation of these movies; fun. IMO, he's the best casting in the MCU since RDJ as Tony.

- MJ - I still wish they'd just say 'well her name is MARY JANE but she goes by MIchelle, because obviously',(and let Zendaya go red head, because did anyone see her at the premiere?) but I think she's a nice blend of a lot of the MJs introduced overs the years(Intelligent like Ultimate MJ, Fiercely Independent and Give No Fucks like 616, Inquisitive like Video Game MJ) but also still uniquely her own.

-Peter/MJ - So freaking cute. Can't wait to see where this goes.

- Mysterio - Definitely in my top five MCU villains, maybe three. No, he wasn't the deepest villain but he was FUN(that word again) and just felt like, "Oh yeah, this guy is a comic villain and a perfect foil for Peter.

- The Setting - I love Europe. I've never been to Prague but now I wanna go!

- Peter's arc - While part of it was a bit repetitive with the first movie, overall, I liked it...And it lead to Peter building a suit!

Neutral

- The Supporting Cast - Ned was a lot better this time around, mostly because he was a friend and not a "guy in the chair", which I hated in the last movie. Betty's bump in the cast was also nice. But Flash is still a pretty terrible character, but nothing is as bad as the teachers(please go away, the both of you). Though are they hinting at something with Flash...will he take Harry's place and his mom be Green Goblin? Eh, I hope not. I don't find the actor good and I still think the character is trash.

Bad:

Aunt May - Give her some actual plot! Give her something. Why does Happy Hogan have a bigger role in a Spider-Man movie than Aunt freakin' May. We get it, she' hot. Now give her something to do. She shines whenever she's on screen, so lets' hope movie 3 does more.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Jul 2019, 18:43

I loved it...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 03 Jul 2019, 19:18

I am sooo pissed about Mysterio. I haven’t seen the film nor will I.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Jul 2019, 00:28

UrbanExplorer wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 19:18

What about him specifically has you so mad?
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 04 Jul 2019, 03:52

Anna Raven wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 00:28
UrbanExplorer wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 19:18

What about him specifically has you so mad?
Spoiler: show
For not being the hero he was advertised in the trailers, being a bad guy at the end

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 04 Jul 2019, 09:16

So, for being himself?
Uncanny Avengers Draft
1. Emma Frost
2. Wiccan
3. Magneto
4. Iron Fist
5. Dr Nemesis
6. Elixir
7. Ares
8.Mercury
9.Hellstorm

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 04 Jul 2019, 09:34

No, I hoped he would truly be a hero. They change a lot of origins etc. in the MCU, so why couldn’t he just be a hero in the film.

I mean, just look at him. How can a beautiful person, that he is, be evil?

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 04 Jul 2019, 14:43

I think Jake Gyllenhaal did good job as Mysterio being charismatic and then to change into unstable. And the first battle between Spiderman and Mysterio was amazing.

Overall very fun film. I did think Nick Fury seemed off so the after credits scene made lot of sense. Also wow while since after credit scenes had such major impact.

Loved MJ and Peter and yeah agree it would be cool to see Zendaya go red head and the MCU fully embrace her as MJ.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Jul 2019, 15:36

I love her with the dark hair...it fits her personality. Really I think they have great chemistry together too. Actually a pretty good supporting cast here. I could watch just Flash, Betty, Ned, MJ and Peter go to school for a whole movie lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 05 Jul 2019, 23:38

I loved it. I mean I wish Mysterio had some sort of magical something or other since Strange exists, but what he was was cool enough and damn his mind games were fun. He also looked great. I really liked the supporting cast of kids since it makes this series feel way different than the other MCU films. I LOVE Zendaya so seeing her as a sassy, weird, dark MJ is so much more appealing to me than the Dunst version of the Raimi films. First time I've ever liked Mary Jane, honestly.

I do agree May needs to do way more. I'm over Happy Hogan - seriously, May is a major Spider Man character and she should be giving Peter advice and being prominent in his development as a human, but they give all that stuff to Happy because HARDY HAR HE'S THE FUNNY DUDE FROM IRON MAN. Nah, thanks.

The Europe settings were great and it was fun to see so much of Hill and Fury in a movie, even if it was actually two other cool characters.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 Jul 2019, 02:56

The script doesn’t make much sense when scrutinized, but that’s besides the point in this instance. Mysterio finally made it to the silver screen! The movie really kicks into gear once Mysterio drops his ruse to the audience. I was vindicated! Odds are you also knew this was coming, so give yourself a cookie!
The best scene in the movie is when Night-Monkey goes to Berlin to warn Fury about Mysterio & gets trapped in a lengthy hologram hallucination.
This is an improvement over Homecoming. Peter’s peers & teachers are still too accommodating to him. They’re amusing but feel like they were grafted on from Disney Channel sitcoms.
I'm not a fan of making Spidey into Iron Man Jr.
This is the fifth valid Spider-Man movie because J. Jonah Jameson appears in a mid-credits stinger! I’m ecstatic they got J. K. Simmons to reprise his role! Weirdly they didn’t get Triple J’s iconic hair correct this time.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 06 Jul 2019, 22:14

Really enjoyed it, a much better outing than Homecoming for me.

Pros
Holland is a perfect Peter Parker, his awkwardness and shyness are spot on without the slight arrogance of Garfield's portrayal, I do think his Spider-man needs to be a bit more wise-cracking, but his Pete is great.
The humour generally was more naturally funny rather than the forced jokes of Homecoming
Pete's loss of Tony felt very believable and I'm glad Tony was still a big part of the story.
The Berlin holographic fight was everything I'd ever want from a Mysterio fight scene on film. It had a sense of danger and a palpable sense of fear, and the manipulation of Pete's subservience to Fury towards the end of the sequence was perfect in making Pete realise he couldn't trust anything with Beck.
Soundtrack - any film that combines AC-DC (I love Led Zep!), the Jam, the Ramones and the Specials hits my sweet spot.
Sam L is still a killer Fury.
Simmons is back as JJJ!
That mid-credit scene generally.

Cons
The Blip was played a bit too light for my liking... these are teens, some of them would have missed their parents for five years. It should have been traumatic instead of being played for gags
Still hate this Flash
Zendaya was more likeable in this film than previously, but I'm still not getting any MJ vibes from her that can really convince me it's MJ. She might as well be called any other name but MJ. I think the same could be said of Betty too... just wish the rest of the teen supporting cast could match Holland's personification of their comic counterpart.
Minor thought - as good as the Berlin fight choreography was ace, the London clash to end the film was actually a bit weak in comparison. Imagine if they built up to that craziness in the final act.

The huh's
So in a film where appearances are continually reiterated as deceiving, having a character named Dmitri NOT revealed or even hinted to be the Chameleon is such a tease. I know I was expecting (wellll...hoping for really) that reveal is in the post-credits.
The post-credits? Really freaking weird.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Jul 2019, 22:31

UrbanExplorer wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 09:34
No, I hoped he would truly be a hero. They change a lot of origins etc. in the MCU, so why couldn’t he just be a hero in the film.

Have you seen Nightcrawler?

The interesting thing about Mysterio is there's no real reason he can't come back for future movies. Most of the movie he's a holographic projection. They also seemed to hack EDITH so it's possible she only thought he was dead. It's not going to be difficult to bring him back for a Sinister Six movie some time in the future.

Honestly, this movie was all about the twist and giving Mysterio a decent chunk of story to become a decent character. No one who's familiar with Spider-Man enough to know who Mysterio would honestly believe he was a hero. The only person they've really ever turned is Loki and that's purely due to fan reaction, but he was 100% villain in the first Thor.

The more I think about it the more impressed I am. I theorized that Mysterio could be from an alternate world and the Elementals were actually the Fantastic Four. My idea was that Mysterio was simply creating a story to paint himself as a hero, maybe similar to Hank Pym creating Ultron, and the Elementals were corrupted versions of the Fantastic Four from his world. The much simpler theory, and the one most people assumed, was that the Elementals were illusions and Mysterio was lying. Thus, without some huge and unexpected twist they needed to get us invested in him. I honestly believe they managed to pull this off so bravo!
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 08 Jul 2019, 00:53

Now that Aquaman & Far From Home are rolling in dough from embracing outlandish comic book costumes, can the era of grounded superhero aesthetics finally be dead?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Jul 2019, 00:53

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 00:53
Now that Aquaman & Far From Home are rolling in dough from embracing outlandish comic book costumes, can the era of grounded superhero aesthetics finally be dead?
I dunno but that pic is hilarious! :P

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 08 Jul 2019, 12:54

tokenBG1009 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 22:31
UrbanExplorer wrote:

This took me far too long to realise you were talking about Nightcrawler film, not the mutant (though in fairness I haven't seen that film!)
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 08 Jul 2019, 13:46

This was a really fun movie, and i think that Mysterio might be one of the best villains we've had a long time from super hero movies, he was genuinely good and charsimatic and an asshole, and their fights were amazing. My gripe during the movie was that, hey, Nick Fury really seems to have developed or regressedn into a bigger asshole for no reason towards a teenager, but that worked out in the end.

I love Peter and Mj, i love Peter as such a good boy, i really like Ganke (whose real name i cant remember) but i dont care about Flash or the teachers.

Its kind of a dick move to leave something to someone, with a message implying they are gonna be the new you. Let the kid grow.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Jul 2019, 19:41

manuel_mc89 wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 13:46
This was a really fun movie, and i think that Mysterio might be one of the best villains we've had a long time from super hero movies, he was genuinely good and charsimatic and an asshole, and their fights were amazing. My gripe during the movie was that, hey, Nick Fury really seems to have developed or regressedn into a bigger asshole for no reason towards a teenager, but that worked out in the end.

I love Peter and Mj, i love Peter as such a good boy, i really like Ganke (whose real name i cant remember) but i dont care about Flash or the teachers.

Its kind of a dick move to leave something to someone, with a message implying they are gonna be the new you. Let the kid grow.
Ned. Ned and Betty's romance was a nod to Ned Leeds marrying Betty Brant.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Jul 2019, 21:18

Magik84 wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 12:54
tokenBG1009 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 22:31
UrbanExplorer wrote:

This took me far too long to realise you were talking about Nightcrawler film, not the mutant (though in fairness I haven't seen that film!)
It's okay, I did the same when the movie was announced. "How the hell did I not know a freaking Nightcrawler movie was coming out!?"
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 11 Jul 2019, 22:17

Definitely liked it overall, though I think I liked Homecoming a bit more. Going into the movie knowing Mysterio is a villain (and with Jake Gyllenhaal in the role, knew he was going to stay that way... sorry Urban Explorer), obviously knew something was up in the first half, which then amplifies questions like "why are his powers not explained/so generic" or "why is everyone just accepting this elemental story at face value" but then it turns out there's multiple reasons for that. Like Magik84 I felt like Fury and Hill were 'off' too so was happy to see the credit scene address that. SLJ looks like he's been skipping too many leg days.

I think the main negative is one of my own, in that I came in expecting this to push the MCU forward into the next era... I bit on that 'multiverse' mention a bit too hard, and almost felt a little disappointed when it turned out to be made up. Would've made an easy way to introduce F4 and X-Men down the road, ah well. What we ended up with was a very good story focusing on Peter being torn between being a teenage boy and being a superhero. Big wham moment in that mid-credit scene though, and not just because they got JK Simmons back (which no doubt will spurn thousands of rumors about other actors reprising their roles like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine again).

Having this MJ go redhead would just be wrong IMO... she's very much a different character, not the knockout 'you hit the jackpot, tiger!' type. I like her a lot as she is, and they should just let this character be her (I would've preferred to not use the MJ name but that ship has sailed, and it also keeps everyone from clamoring for her I suppose).

Surprised everyone hates Flash so much, or dare I say, that's the point? I actually really like the take on him, as I feel like that's what a real bully in Peter's situation (smart kid school) would be like. Maybe just because he reminds me of someone I knew in high school. The big dumb jock who beats up kids for lunch money isn't realistic.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Jul 2019, 22:34

Magnus wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 22:17

Surprised everyone hates Flash so much, or dare I say, that's the point? I actually really like the take on him, as I feel like that's what a real bully in Peter's situation (smart kid school) would be like. Maybe just because he reminds me of someone I knew in high school. The big dumb jock who beats up kids for lunch money isn't realistic.
Yes! Exactly! Plus its so true, that that kid is usually neglected and his parents don't show him enough love.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Jul 2019, 22:35

The Multiverse was already a thing as of Doctor Strange -- and again in Endgame.

I like the Flash character. It's an interesting update. Modern bullies aren't typically big jocks that knock people around. They tend to be queen bees and use social media. I also liked his little development with Mother not seeming to care about him, even after he almost died.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"