Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Eternals

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: Eternals

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 25 Aug 2019, 01:56

If Gilgamesh doesn't wear his bovine hat, what even is the point?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Aug 2019, 03:09

XtremeOne1 wrote:
24 Aug 2019, 23:58
Gemma Chan has an awesome accent, is a great actress and is gorgeous. You really can't win with these people.

You'd think they'd complain that Black Knight is being played by a piece of toast, but oh well.

Anyway, this is still the movie I'm most skeptic about because of topic and the star powerness of it all, but Richard Madden and Gemma Chan are just so hot how can you pass it up?
My only issue is she was a different Marvel character just this year. It annoys me when they double dip like this.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 25 Aug 2019, 07:52

Are people actually complaining at Gemma Chan as Sersi? I was gutted when Minerva was under-used and killed off in Cap Marvel, so to see Gemma back as a different character is fantastic. Great up and coming actress.

Kit Harrington...year he ain’t the best actor but he has star power at the moment. In fact the whole film screams star power, and it needs to because this could be a tricky film to launch otherwise. But with Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Richard Madden and Kit Harrington there are some fairly famous names and faces to draw in the crowds.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 25 Aug 2019, 11:47

Yeah some people are over reacting somewhat to Gemma Chan being recast in the MCU. I mean she's blue in Captain Marvel for crying out loud, it's not like we'll be confused.

Articles are reporting Kit Harrington is Dane Whitman, though I'm not sure that was outright stated. I'm sure I've read that Eternals is set in the past so it would make sense for this to be the Black Knight from the Middle Ages.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 25 Aug 2019, 22:17

They'll probably have scenes in multiple time periods to show how eternal they are.
Gemma Chan joins joins Stan Lee, Enver Gjokaj, Tony Curran, Paul Bettany, Laura Haddock, Alfre Woodard, Mahershala Ali, Benedict Cumberbatch, Kenneth Choi, Clancy Brown, & Clark Gregg in having multiple MCU roles.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Aug 2019, 23:59

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 22:17
They'll probably have scenes in multiple time periods to show how eternal they are.
Gemma Chan joins joins Stan Lee, Enver Gjokaj, Tony Curran, Paul Bettany, Laura Haddock, Alfre Woodard, Mahershala Ali, Benedict Cumberbatch, Kenneth Choi, Clancy Brown, & Clark Gregg in having multiple MCU roles.
Some of those, I mean whatever it doesn't bother me, like Cumberbatch playing Dr. Strange, but then also doing the voice of Dormammu, big deal, no one would know it unless they saw the credits. Bettany makes logical sense in the story, that he was both Jarvis and Vision, the computer was the basis for the android.

I'm also a little able to tolerate the Netflix/MCU crossovers a little more, because they pretty much feel like separate universes at this point.

But this one is a little more in your face. Yeh I mean I know one is blue the other is not, but otherwise they are going to look identical.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Aug 2019, 00:11

Didn't Minn-Erva mention she'd been to Earth before? They should do a scene of her meeting Sersi!

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 26 Aug 2019, 18:08

Gibs, did you really complain on Twitter about the Eternal poster?

https://www.cbr.com/eternals-poster-new-celestial/

:lol:

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 26 Aug 2019, 18:36

I can't believe they cast a child as Sprite. Very short-sighted if you want sequels filmed years later. They need an adult that perpetually looks like a kid like Tom Holland. I see flashbacks of Lost trying to make Walt look like he's 10 years old when he's a late teenager. *sigh*

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 28 Aug 2019, 09:53

UrbanExplorer wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 18:08
Gibs, did you really complain on Twitter about the Eternal poster?

https://www.cbr.com/eternals-poster-new-celestial/

:lol:
Nah that's @Mitch 692. I'm @Mitch693 on Twitter :P
LimboMaster wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 18:36
I can't believe they cast a child as Sprite. Very short-sighted if you want sequels filmed years later. They need an adult that perpetually looks like a kid like Tom Holland. I see flashbacks of Lost trying to make Walt look like he's 10 years old when he's a late teenager. *sigh*
I doubt anyone can predict how someone will age. For all we know Tom Holland could be balding in 10 years. They're never going to find an adult that looks like a 10 year old and stays looking like that forever. say they just let the kid character grow up. The world will keep turning

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Aug 2019, 12:08

Emma Watson is a perfect example of "Well we didn't see that coming when we cast her."
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 28 Aug 2019, 15:35

[/quote]

I doubt anyone can predict how someone will age. For all we know Tom Holland could be balding in 10 years. They're never going to find an adult that looks like a 10 year old and stays looking like that forever. say they just let the kid character grow up. The world will keep turning
[/quote]

Well since Eternals don't age (kinda the point of the name), it'll be hard to explain the whole 'growing up' thing. There is generally 3 years or so between movies so the actor would already have aged out of the part by the next Eternals movie. Part of the Sprite schtick is that he's supposed to be perpetually a kid. They don't need to look that age forever, but for more than one movie might be a wiser casting move. There are plenty of adult actors who look like kids.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 28 Aug 2019, 20:38

An adult who looks like a kid now might not look like one in six to eight years either. Child actors tend to be smaller bodied people because they tend to act ages younger than they physically are. I think it's just as safe to cast an actual young person as Sprite than a young looking person.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Aug 2019, 02:33

So are folks excited for the Black Knight? I hardly know the character. He was in Bloodties with Sersi, and maybe I remember him in a few 80’s Avengers books on a team with Dr. Druid, Marrina, and Monica Rambeau?
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Aug 2019, 03:04

Nu-D wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 02:33
So are folks excited for the Black Knight? I hardly know the character. He was in Bloodties with Sersi, and maybe I remember him in a few 80’s Avengers books on a team with Dr. Druid, Marrina, and Monica Rambeau?
I imagine @SpectralKnight is quite excited.

I mostly just know him from super early Avengers stuff, like Stan Lee era. I think he was in the Hudlin Black Panther run too.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 29 Aug 2019, 05:00

Anna Raven wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 03:04
Nu-D wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 02:33
I imagine @SpectralKnight is quite excited.

I mostly just know him from super early Avengers stuff, like Stan Lee era. I think he was in the Hudlin Black Panther run too.
:lol: I'm not actually a massive BK fan. I have the avatar as he's probably the character that's closest in spirit to the Visionaries franchise, plus he's an actual knight. I do like Dane, but he probably wouldn't get near my top 20 Marvel characters if I'm honest.

Dane's had a great run as a persistent second stringer, being a long, long time Avenger, his time on the Defenders to his adventures in Marvel UK with Cap Britain, and Excalibur / MI:13. He also had a major, major part of the Proctor saga in the Avengers.

For info, the BK in Stan's run was the villainous predecessor, I'm pretty sure it was Roy Thomas who introduces the heroic BK during his classic late 60s run.

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 29 Aug 2019, 08:31

I am a huge 80s, early 90s fan, especially of the Avengers franchise. Personally, I find the team rosters more exciting than having a team nearly full of A listers.

I have the complete „The Crossing“ trade... and both „Operation: Galactic Storm“

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 29 Aug 2019, 20:39

EphemeristX wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 20:38
An adult who looks like a kid now might not look like one in six to eight years either. Child actors tend to be smaller bodied people because they tend to act ages younger than they physically are. I think it's just as safe to cast an actual young person as Sprite than a young looking person.
Also, let's not discount Marvel's fairly fantastic deaging special effects.

The aging problem is obvious with any movie or film series with immortal characters I just watched Buffy again all the way through and neither Angel or Spike look the same age as when they started. We just have to suspend disbelief and live with it